Switch Hitter

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Switch Hitter

Postby Tighearn Dunamai » Thu May 15, 2014 11:57 pm

So, I know that many fighters have a dominant hand - most of those being right-hand dominant. Some people can switch (especially those who have been fighting long enough to know the benefit of this), and some are left-handed and fight that way.

So here is the point and question - I am a right hand dominant person, who usually fights right-handed; however, I have suffered over 10 dislocations in my right shoulder over the years which has resulted in a lot of tear damage. So - what are some good basic training ideas that people might have to work on making the "off-hand" more of a dominant choice?
Tighearn Dunamai
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2011
Realm: Arnor
Unit: House Dunamai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red Swords & Glaives
Bat and Board

Re: Switch Hitter

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri May 16, 2014 6:02 am

Aside from just getting out and fighting with your off hand more frequently, doing pell work can be a great way to build muscle memory.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby zimboptoo » Sat May 24, 2014 10:26 am

First off, see if you can organize an off-hand bear-pit or sparring line at your next practice. Practicing against other people who are also using their off-hands can make you feel a lot less uncoordinated when you're first starting. Off-hand only fights can be fun (if a bit silly), and it's a good thing for everyone to practice if only for when you have to switch hands after being armed. Start with just single-blue, then move on to sword/bat and board.

When you're on the field, the best way to get off-hand practice is to fight Florentine. You get some experience swinging a sword with your off hand, but you can still defend yourself with your experienced hand if you're in a tough spot.
zimboptoo
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2014
Realm: Rhovanion

Postby Korbin the Mad » Mon May 26, 2014 11:12 am

You could try lopping off your right arm, then lopping off your left arm, and gorilla gluing your left arm into your right socket.

Although I suppose you'd have to be pretty good at lopping and gluing with your feet, if you go that route... Better start practicing now, maybe you can get it together for Geddon.

The way I see it, you should be able to get at least one functional right arm with all the parts you've got...

also you probably want to try this one last.

tl:dr, I have no helpful advice beyond the above posts, which contain very solid suggestions.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad|House Dunamai
Mad Lord of House Dunamai and the Madlands
Usufructary of Ancilla Ignis
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Arnor
Unit: House Dunamai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Spear
Archery

Postby Kyrian » Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training