Making Red techniques work

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Making Red techniques work

Postby timff8 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 am

I've been fighting for a few months now and I'm trying my best to learn to fight with a smaller red (~54"). I'm aware of the mantras of how to take out sword-n-board but I can't seem to get hem down. I'm hoping there's some tricks I'm just not aware of for each concept.

"Got after the legs." - How do I do this without making my extended arms targets? The legs are far away so I must extend my arms to reach them unless I want to be within easy striking range from even the smallest blue.
"Go after the arms/shoulders." I can't seem to clip them. I don't get how to go after a shoulder aside from waiting for an attack or drawing them out with a feint, which no-one ever buys.
"Making every shot a kill shot." I've heard this many times and it frustrates me. Shield. There's a big shield right there. It's in my way and moves faster than I do around a smaller radius. And no I don't have the power to move the shield sufficiently and still have enough fore to count as a hit.
timff8
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2014
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: British long ton
Favorite Fighting Styles: small reds and buckler; FloREDtine

Re: Making Red techniques work

Postby Kyrian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:23 am

If you haven't already, consider joining the "Brotherhood of Red" Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/178433162242769/

There are active discussions regarding red fighting as well as several resources.

To answer your questions

"Got after the legs." - How do I do this without making my extended arms targets? The legs are far away so I must extend my arms to reach them unless I want to be within easy striking range from even the smallest blue.

Are you keeping both hands on the handle when attempting to hit these targets? One important technique to master as a red fighter is referred to as casting (think casting in reference to fishing) where you use only one hand on the weapon and use that extended range to target extremities especially legs.

"Go after the arms/shoulders." I can't seem to clip them. I don't get how to go after a shoulder aside from waiting for an attack or drawing them out with a feint, which no-one ever buys.

With no shield to hide behind, you'll have to utilize your mobility and footwork to put yourself in a better position to target the arms and shoulders. You can also target the outside of the forearms with downward or casting shots.

"Making every shot a kill shot." I've heard this many times and it frustrates me. Shield. There's a big shield right there. It's in my way and moves faster than I do around a smaller radius. And no I don't have the power to move the shield sufficiently and still have enough fore to count as a hit.

The logic behind this is that it takes at least two (assuming the shield fighter considers the red shots acceptable) hits before you can actually get to the fighter. Admittedly, the shield is a big target but it really shouldn't be the one you should be going for unless you don't have any other options. Ideally, you would be using positioning, mobility, feinting, and baits to make the fighter move the shield and open up a vulnerable spot. Also, many shield fighters are willing to soak that first red shot and charge you (It's what I normally do.) to get inside your range.

Mine is only one perspective. I would suggest you post the questions in the FB group to get more varied responses.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:59 am

Range control is the most important part of red fighting, in my opinion. A simple way to think of it is when you throw a shot against a sword and board fighter, take a step. When you throw a shot, throw a second.

For example, if you are holding your red with right hand on top and left at the pommel, and are fighting a right handed boardman, you are set up to swing to the sword side. When you swing, the boardman is likely to soak up the shot or block with their weapon. When you throw the shot, take a step laterally to their shield side (not forward towards it), and perhaps a little back. Your second shot should already be in motion during that step.

This binds up the sword side, while moving you away from the boardman's sword. As well, by moving laterally you force them to change directions, which slows their forward advance and helps prevent them from rushing you.

Finally, think about where, height-wise, you are going to throw the shot. If you throw it high and bring their guard high, you may be able to throw your second shot to their hip or leg, especially since they'll likely be taking a step forward on that sword side leg. If you throw it low, you may be able to get a forearm snipe on the sword arm when they lower their guard to block and rotate their body to face you, when you take your lateral step.

Those were some tips given to me that I found helpful.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby timff8 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks for the link to the group; I was aware it existed but for some reason I was unable to find it through searching.

Casting is something I need to work on I'm just paranoid that I'll have no control trying to retract effectively into a guard with one hand.

I think footwork is what I need to work on most, it's just hard to do so. There are plenty of people that can help on the proper technique for throwing a shot but footwork seems to be done so fast and in a "you know, just do footwork" manner whenever I ask about it that it's very frustrating. This not being an organized sport I struggle to find good exercise routines for it.
timff8
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2014
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: British long ton
Favorite Fighting Styles: small reds and buckler; FloREDtine

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training