Medics Guild

Forum for the discussions for the creation of guilds.

Moderator: Ora

Medics Guild

Postby Spike » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:23 pm

With all the discussion of the guilds program that this should have come up at some point, but I don't see it anywhere. We have quite a few people in Belegarth who are actually trained medics with abilities ranging from athletic injuries all the way to actual front-line trauma care.

This would be an excellent way to signify who we should be letting handle our injured, and reduce the likelihood of Belegarth being sued over letting an unqualified person improperly treat a wound. On top of that, those with professional medical experience can help guide lower level members on at least minor first aid.

I'm not exactly sure how good of an idea this is, because I'm not sure of the legalities involved in medicine. Perhaps someone professionally trained would be able to shed some light on this?
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Re: Medics Guild

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Liability is a huge factor and can risk getting someone into trouble. A medic takes a risk by volunteering, especially if the paperwork isn't clear on the matter. While I like this idea (I'm working on becoming a recognized chirurgeon in SCA & will be donating more time as a medic at events), I think it would be a good idea to find out how the waiver covers our asses and restricts what we can and cannot do. I know DAG has some level of coverage sine they have recognized medics, but I don't know how all that works. SCA medics have been reduced to only being able to handle minor injuries & cannot carry/distribute any sort of over the counter drugs/meds (ie. basic painkillers even), due to the various liability issues.

Either way, I'm in.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Brenna is right on the liability thing, once you start saying you are qualified to help medically, then you become responsible as well.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Teej » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:43 am

Thirding the liability; training should be done by the book in order to actually qualify someone in first aid/cpr etc... Though CPR is a one-day thing; I think I remember first aid being a week in the Police Academy. The military does not require re-certification for my field but I believe we spent a week on it in the military too.

I would love to see red cross belt flags on the field recognising qualified personnel; I'm not sure how many would want to wear it though because it calls them out and people may not understand if he or she is uncomfortable dealing with certain injuries over others or if the injury is a higher echelon of training than they've received... people are just going to see that red cross and expect you to act. If you begin medical treatment, you have to keep it up until relieved by someone more qualified. Cops have a duty to act as well... regardless of their jurisdiction.

I would also say no to any in-training unless someone is a certified instructor and able to give a proper course. IMHO

I support a medic guild, but a lot of issues would have to be worked out...
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood

Postby Bevin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:17 pm

TeeDge wrote:Thirding the liability; training should be done by the book in order to actually qualify someone in first aid/cpr etc... Though CPR is a one-day thing; I think I remember first aid being a week in the Police Academy. The military does not require re-certification for my field but I believe we spent a week on it in the military too.

Red Cross first aid training takes 3-8 hours, depending on which exact course you're taking and how long-winded the instructor is between the videos.
Bevin
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Wolfpack of the High Plains
Unit: Kumpania del Ruv

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:28 pm

I like the idea of the 'Red Cross' belt flags, or sashes, but they should probably only be worn if the medic is 'on duty'. If we want to make this more official, I think it's something the guild will need to work out with the hosting group on an event basis. Make sure the event can cover the guild's * & understands a set of ground rules before the guild agrees to work the event. Individuals can volunteer on their own, but to have the support of the guild, XYZ would need to be met.

Would anyone be interested in a fighting-related injury course? It's not a certification course or anything, but a course/discussion geared toward the more common fighting & event related injuries/sickness/things you'll come up against. They have them at some of the larger SCA events and wonder if there would be any interest in a crossover?
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Teej » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:17 pm

I'd be down for an "FYI" course... I need to update myself on the official stuff anyway, so this unofficial gig would be a good refresher course before I try and get refreshed on sports injuries. If you don't use it, you lose it; needless to say, I lost some of it.

Belegarth: sprains, hyperextensions, the occasional concussion, and tick removal FTW
Last edited by Teej on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Teej » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:19 pm

In addition to my previous reply: I'd be willing to travel for it of course, living in FL that's always my issue. Could we do this course at a major event to make travel more worthwhile? While I consider this an important course, I'd like to be guaranteed some fighting as well to make a 12+ hour drive more worth it.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:22 pm

TeeDge wrote:In addition to my previous reply: I'd be willing to travel for it of course, living in FL that's always my issue. Could we do this course at a major event to make travel more worthwhile? While I consider this an important course, I'd like to be guaranteed some fighting as well to make a 12+ hour drive more worth it.

Definitely, living in BFE Kentucky I have the same issue. Want to chat more at Winter War?

And I need to re-up too, I know some of it has been lost to alcomahol.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Teej » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:59 pm

That is actually a good plan, SM has a lot of medical personnel. Formally trained or otherwise.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby RedBeard » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:23 pm

As a rule, the guild should inform themselves of the states laws regarding "good Samaritan" clauses. These clauses differ from state to state in the US. Some states only indemnify the medically trained / certified (American Heart Assoc., Red Cross, Etc.), and some indemnify any passers by provided that they do not receive any recompense for their action.

Many states have recognized the problem of potential liability and have acted to ensure that life-saving help is not hindered by worry over liability. Unfortunately, this is not a Federal issue and therefore there is no real consistency between states attempts to address this issue.

It is probably best that the event locations are given well in advance to the Guild so that the laws can be researched and known prior to the Guild coordinator for the event giving out general direction to those overseeing and instructing security and heralding.

I do think that it would be advisable to have a centralized Guild repository of law information kept and updated by members in their region. This would allow re-use of research, as well as a spreading out of responsibilities to keep the records straight. This might require assignments of Guild scribes and regions.

I don't think that this would be an extensive research, or that it would be prohibitive as it would be limited to the actions that someone can take on a field in the effort of both first aid and life saving attempts without liability based on the state of the event.

I don't know if this is instituted by the Chirurgeon General in the Chirurgeon Guild of the SCA, but it seemed to make sense to me as I was running it through in my head.

Just some food for thought.
RedBeard
Dimma Ulfur - Dark Wolves
ImageImage
RedBeard
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Tobin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:43 pm

First of all, let me say that I'm not at all against the idea of codifying and identifying medical knowledge and recognizing those who have professional medical and first-aid training. That's not the point of this at all.

What I would like to see is this idea, specifically, moved out of the guild stream of consciousness and made into its own organization. From the discussions I've seen on this forum, becoming part of a guild is a step towards improving skills in an interesting area--and while I'm sure any and all qualified medics would be on top of improving their medical training, I don't know that they'd be doing so for recognition and personal gratification. I think an association of qualified medics would be helped more by establishing a repository of licenses and training certificates, available to event coordinators, heralds, whoever, so that medics who volunteer their services at events could be seen as qualified and trained IRL for specific medical situations and emergencies.

Does that make sense? I'm talking about establishing an association of recognized and recognizable medics rather than a skill-based guild, so that the focus isn't on personal reward for skill advancement. Rather it's on making sure the members have qualifications and up-to-date training in order to reduce the possibility of needing liability coverage.

Tell me if this doesn't make sense.
Shuvinasti of Kumpania del Ruv
yes, that's right folks, I'm female.
breathe deep. seek peace. swing hard.
Tobin
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2004
Realm: Itenerraria
Favorite Fighting Styles: flail and round
decoy archery
boo and heckle

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:11 am

No that totally makes sense. I think that's what I was going for too. I agree, I can't see much 'recognition' & forward movement, mainly because a 'medic' would already need a strong base knowledge & level of certification to 'join'. I think I've stuck with guild as a term to use as a foundation for a group like you are talking about Tobin. I'm definitely more for set up/organization & getting info out on a regional & national level & less for advancement & recognition.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Spike » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Tobin, that totally makes sense. When I proposed this, that was really more what I had in mind. Sometimes when I come up with an idea, I don't elaborate much. I've just been sitting back reading and waiting for someone like Killian to pop in. I know he does all sorts of help when hold gets called and tellin' people to stay off their ankle when they've rolled it.

This guild, or whatever you'd want to call it, would not be about recognition in the sense of "All hail Mike, the Level Six Medic." but more in the sense of when hold's been called "Hey, this guy's a Level Six. Give him some space to work."
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Roland Demox » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:01 pm

The only thing you guys would have a problem with is the idea behind negligence and responsibility. Luckily since you arent technically payed you would be covered under the good Samaritan act. And since everybody signed waivers you cant be sued for "wrongful" treatment based upon somebody told you to not walk on a rolled ankle.

All in all Spike you are a **** genius for this idea. I would LOVE to see a way to recognize who the individuals are who are trained to help me with an injury as opposed to taking advice from some drunk guy ive never talked to...now im taking advice from a drunk guy ive never talked to, with a special card ;)
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Tobin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Not trying to step on toes at all; my brain's just gotten into this mode. Spike, tell me if this is more along the lines of what you're thinking:

Medic Level 1 (or whatever the first-tier status ends up being) : has basic first aid training ad a certificate from their local YMCA stating such.

Level 2: has basic first aid, First Responder, and AED training through a recognized program, with the appropriate certificate of participation and completion stating such.

Level 3: has all of the above training, in addition to X number of years in nursing or med school, with appropriate documentation, et al.

Level 4: has completed EMT training (with appropriate certifications, etc) as a paramedic, firefighter, policeman, or other emergency services personnel.

Level 5: is a licensed medical practitioner (nurse, nurse-practitioner, EMT, doctor) with documentation to be produced on demand.

So 'rank' wouldn't be in pursuit of personal recognition, but rather an identifier of appropriate ability in a given situation. Is that correct?

As a personal wish-list item, I think it'd be great if all heralds were required to have Level 1 Medic status as part of their herald training. Just a thought.
Tobin
Backstabber
Backstabber

decoy archery
boo and heckle

Postby Spike » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:33 am

No, by all means. Step on my toes. Whoever comes up to make sure the nails don't fall off gets to be a Level One.

Tobin, that's a great guild outline. That was more along the lines of what I had in mind.

Then again, stipulations would be more up to the guild. I just thought this was a decent idea worth throwing out there.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Teej » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:51 am

Tobin wrote:Not trying to step on toes at all; my brain's just gotten into this mode. Spike, tell me if this is more along the lines of what you're thinking:

Medic Level 1 (or whatever the first-tier status ends up being) : has basic first aid training ad a certificate from their local YMCA stating such.

Level 2: has basic first aid, First Responder, and AED training through a recognized program, with the appropriate certificate of participation and completion stating such.

Level 3: has all of the above training, in addition to X number of years in nursing or med school, with appropriate documentation, et al.

Level 4: has completed EMT training (with appropriate certifications, etc) as a paramedic, firefighter, policeman, or other emergency services personnel.

Level 5: is a licensed medical practitioner (nurse, nurse-practitioner, EMT, doctor) with documentation to be produced on demand.

So 'rank' wouldn't be in pursuit of personal recognition, but rather an identifier of appropriate ability in a given situation. Is that correct?

As a personal wish-list item, I think it'd be great if all heralds were required to have Level 1 Medic status as part of their herald training. Just a thought.

Great outline; /agree.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Davit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:46 pm

Isn't the good Samaritan law an IL only thing? And I really think before we should go forward on this we need to see what kinds of liability issues we would have.
Also, as much as I would love to have as many people first aid trained as possible throughout society, it's hard enough to get people to herald at an event, there's no point in giving more people excuses and reasons not to do it.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Roland Demox » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:00 pm

Tobin wrote:Level 5: is a licensed medical practitioner (nurse, nurse-practitioner, EMT, doctor) with documentation to be produced on demand.

Can this be reworded for the Firefighters and EMTs. Im not entirely sure but I dont think they are licensed the way that a doctor or nurse would be
Brother of the Falcon
Roland Demox
the Casual

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Tobin, love it. You rock.

Demox, I think you are right. There are similar certifications & knowledge bases, but one =/= the other, even within the definition of a nurse (triage vs. ER vs. OBGYN vs. etc etc), not to mention levels of nurse (RN, LPN, LN, etc) I'll ask my nurse friend, she might be able to help us with some terms.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Derian » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 am

You might want to differentiate between the different levels of EMT certification.

It looks like you might have been hinting at this by specifying that those who've completed EMT training as a fireman/policeman (typically just EMT-B, to my knowledge) are level four, while 'EMTs' (Paramedics? EMT-P?) are level 5.

Those holding an EMT-P certification should probably have the highest rank along with doctors.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Roland Demox » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:43 am

awesome, thanks for the clarification
Brother of the Falcon
Roland Demox
the Casual

Postby Tobin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Derian wrote:You might want to differentiate between the different levels of EMT certification.

It looks like you might have been hinting at this by specifying that those who've completed EMT training as a fireman/policeman (typically just EMT-B, to my knowledge) are level four, while 'EMTs' (Paramedics? EMT-P?) are level 5.

Those holding an EMT-P certification should probably have the highest rank along with doctors.

I was just pulling medical-practitioner labels out of my head; I really don't have any experience with who is trained to do what and by whom. I'm in theater; most of my medical knowledge comes from Scrubs. :D But anyone who does know what the training entails should hash this out. I just wanted clarification on ranking and recognition when they don't involve personal advancement.
Tobin
Backstabber
Backstabber

decoy archery
boo and heckle

Postby Derian » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Fair enough.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby RedBeard » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:38 pm

This is not a normal guild in the sense of "Keep five people from dying to achieve the next level" kind of rank building. Rank is not determined by anything besides ability to assist the injured as assessed by independent and objective certifications.

I am hearing two lines of conversation:

a) Levels based on medical training
b) concerns about liability in different states

To address A, we should decide how many levels there should be and then ask friends / family / other beligrim that are in the medical field how they would separate those with medical training into the number of levels defined.

To address B, we should have the states listed that we will be holding events and everyone pick at least one. We should then research the good Samaritan laws in the assigned states so that we have record of what liability we might be facing in each.

By the way, this topic has received some excellent input!!! I hope this gets off the ground.
RedBeard
Dimma Ulfur - Dark Wolves
ImageImage
RedBeard
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Teej » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 am

Perhaps a plug-in for event announcements about liability laws? Someone from the event's state in the medical guild could post a quote from their state's laws. Maybe even a medical guild private forum where a sticky can outline laws by state... (besides most major Belegarth events are held in the same few states, we can start there)
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Davit » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:48 pm

From a laywer :

Basically there is a lawsuit pending that is challenging good samaritan laws. So I wouldn't touch this subject until the law is clarified. Additionally, what they were talking about may open up Bele to its own liability bc now they are providing emergency care. If the emergency care is deficient it could affect Bele bc of vicarious liability. SO if an emergency provider **** up, Bele could be found negligent for hiring deficient staff. Not to offend anyone out there or say they would be deficient.

So IMHO, it's probably the best idea to put this idea on hold, at least until this lawsuit is done with.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Sir Cairbre » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:14 pm

I have CPR and 1st aid with the red cross, they are due to expire later this year... and I haven't looked for a place to get my update in C-bus yet. I use to have water certs as well but they have expired.

/no I don't have a traq kit.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby megs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:44 am

I like the Idea of a medic group
I like the idea of a list of people and what qualifications they have being available to event coordinators
I like the idea of a medic belt flag (and someone who has training is always 'on duty' )

I like the idea of recognizing the different 'levels' of medics out there, because while I have ARC first responder training, I'm not an EMT, or an ER/trauma nurse.

The important thing to remember (in regards to liability and good Samaritan) is that a person DOES NOT ACT out side their licensure.
What I mean is that as an ARC First responder/AED/CRP certified LPN * when someone comes to me for medical attention for their injured arm/leg I can:
look at the injured arm/leg
ask how much pain they are in (on a scale of 1-5 or 1-10)
splint it, ice it, provide first aid
Say 'It may only be sprained, but it may be broken, I recommended you go the the hospital'
I can ask the opinion of someone with higher training than mine (here is where levels could be handy)

I cannot say 'It's only a sprain, you'll be fine'

As an LPN* I cannot make a diagnosis (it's only a sprain) only a person licensed/certified to make a diagnosis (MD for example) can make such a call.

IF I were to say 'It's only a sprain, you'll be fine' then I would be practicing outside my licensure and I could possibly be sued and possibly have my license revoked

Also, keeping up a medic kit (bandaids, iso h2o, gloves...ect...) can get expensive.
has anyone talked to event coordinators about a possible small compensation fee for medics?

*please note: I am not, as of yet, a licensed LPN. I have finished school and am waiting to take my state boards.
Mudd Wench #1

It's like candy, but with blood, which is so much better!
megs
Backstabber
Backstabber

Realm: Northlands

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 am

megs wrote:
Also, keeping up a medic kit (bandaids, iso h2o, gloves...ect...) can get expensive.
has anyone talked to event coordinators about a possible small compensation fee for medics?

Agreed, we keep ours equipped through house dues and are lucky enough to have an RN and an LPN amoung our ranks. Perhaps a small fee system could be established with an event organizer?

Good luck on the boards megs :)
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:53 am

We have a realm F.A. kit that we bring to all our practices. We use realm monies to keep it up to date. It's not super extensive, just enough for most minor stuff and a couple of things if there is a big accident, just to hold them till an ambulance arrives.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby megs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 am

yeah, my kit isn't a 'Hey your having a baby on the field?! Here let me give you an epidural first' either, just basics plus a bit.
lol

Thanks Brenna!
I just got a letter from the state telling me they will be sending me another letter, and that I can check the status of my application on-line, but I have to wait 4 weeks (when I originally sent my app in to the state I had to wait 6-8 weeks before being able to call and check the status).
gotta love red tape!

I also like the idea of a medic meet-n-greet at events. I think this will allow us to better set up a chain of command for each event, and possibly set up rotations of which medics will have walki-talkies at which times (this way everyone still gets a chance to fight, shop...ect....)

as for heralds, while it would be great if EVERYONE had basic FA/CPR, this just isn't the case. However, I do think it takes a certain amount of commonsense to herald, and I think that commonsense goes a long way when it comes to assessing/assisting an injured person in those few seconds prior to a medic arriving.
I think if we all make a collective effort to observe what happens on the fields when a hold is called for an injury, we can communicate to the heralds how they might help us in a certain situation better. For instance clearing people back further or limiting worried friends/unit/kingdom members that rush over to one or two people...stuff like that.

then again...maybe I am yet again over-analyzing a situation
lol
Mudd Wench #1

megs
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:45 pm

Could someone with experience give a list of what a basic first aid kit should include?
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Tails » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Depends on what you want the kit to do. Do you want it to treat everything from paper cuts to stopped hearts?
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:02 pm

I don't think I need an AED.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Postby Tails » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:04 pm

how about a small canister of O2?
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bevin » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:02 pm

Tails wrote:how about a small canister of O2?

Probably not something cost effective or really logical to have in a basic first aid kit.

I work at a sports complex. We have ice packs, a CPR mask/microshield, rubber gloves, hand sanitizer, bandaids of various sizes, antiseptic wipes, gauze, med tape, the athletic wrap stuff...it looks like tape, sticks to itself, don't know what it's actually called...tweezers would probably be good for our events (splinters and ticks), elastic and/or ace bandages, scissors, ibuprofen. Not everything is necessary, but it's a pretty basic first aid kit that covers the bases and covers you for exposure to bodily fluids.
Bevin
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Tails » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:02 am

might want to throw in the sing/bite tubes, not the allergy ones. Drawing a blank on the name as well but they are the general tube used for bee stings and other bug bites.

I know someone broke their leg at one of the events might as well throw in an easy-splint

like said earlier it might be good to throw in h2o and maybe a heat blanket (for those colder events)
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:21 am

Thanks Bevin. As I was reading your list I wondered if having an Epi pen might also be a good idea, or would that fall under non-cost-effective items in your opinion?
Murder Tundra Horde

Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:01 am

Rowan wrote:Thanks Bevin. As I was reading your list I wondered if having an Epi pen might also be a good idea, or would that fall under non-cost-effective items in your opinion?

This is a good question. I want to get one for our kit as well, but do I need a RX?
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Derian » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:59 pm

From Wikipedia:

In the UK and US, EpiPens are regulated medical devices and require a prescription. In Canada, EpiPens may be purchased without a prescription, but they are kept behind pharmacy counters.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks D.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Bevin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 am

Generally those that need Epi Pens already have one (or more than one...I have 2, one to be used, one for after that one's use.). (hopefully) In the off chance that someone is stung who has a previously undiscovered allergy....hope it's in the foot or something far away from vital organs. Or that they're only slightly allergic.
On that note...an antihistamine might be good to have in the kit. That can be used to slightly delay allergic reactions in a pinch.
Bevin
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Tobin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:47 am

Might I also suggest having glucose tablets in a kit? I know we have a number of diabetics in the sport ::raises hand:: and on days when people are out on the field, having drunk most of their nutrition the night before and not paused in the last six hours of fighting to get something to eat, they might stave off some worrying symptoms (shaking, sweating, light-headedness, inability to focus).

Plus they taste like sugared chalk, so no one's going to sneak a few while nobody's looking, like they might with hard candy. :)

Just a thought.
Tobin
Backstabber
Backstabber

decoy archery
boo and heckle

Postby Eris » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:15 pm

I spent $40 and "upgraded" a $20 first aid kit with some bigger sponge bandage/pads for bloody noses, a big tube of triple anti-biotic ointment, and a better selection of band-aids. I keep the kit in my weapons bag and have a separate one for my house (so I never forget to go to the field without it.) Grab some extra chem ice packs and a small plastic bottle of honey (got that advice from a couple of diabetics... They liked it better than glucose tabs...)

If I can't fix it with what I have, bleeding lasts for more than a couple minutes, or they pass out/have a seizure/broke a bone/can't put weight on a limb/kidneys shut down/spew split pea soup/etc. the ambulance will get called.

Getting Medics on a national level would be trickier. Event coordinators would have to double check official certifications when the medic arrived and signed in to work there. The medic would have to remain completely sober for the eight hours prior to helping someone, and cannot have ANY alcohol during the time they are on call at the event. I know of at least one Medic who wouldn't be happy going on vacation just to work...

IF we get "official" Belegarth medics, it would make getting insurance easier... Just sayin'...
There's no room for heroes in the country called War. There's no one out here but soldiers and sorry * and it's damned hard to tell the difference between the two of them. The gods of war are a pack of random bastards, as indiscriminate as hand grenades and hailstones.
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby megs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Eris wrote:IF we get "official" Belegarth medics, it would make getting insurance easier... Just sayin'...

It might make it harder, depending on cross-state licensure.
If medics were 'oficial' then they may have to apply to each state's Board of Health/Health Department for permission to practice in that state. Some states may require you to sit for extra boards to become licensed to practice in that state.

As for the topic of Epipens, it may also be illegal (like here in Michigan...or it was last I checked...) for any one BUT the prescription holder to administer the device.
I always carry benadryl in my med kit.

Eris wrote:Event coordinators would have to double check official certifications when the medic arrived and signed in to work there.

Not necessarily. The key word is delegation. Event coord's delegate a head medic, that medic would then be in charge of organizing the medics in attendance, verifying certifications, and communicating information to event coord's.
I would also recommend that medics bring copies of their certifications to keep on file in a centralized location, then again...maybe I am over thinking the situation! lol

Eris wrote:The medic would have to remain completely sober for the eight hours prior to helping someone, and cannot have ANY alcohol during the time they are on call at the event.

I agree with not drinking while on 'duty' (if medics were arranged in a schedule like a troll schedule). However, if it is handled as an 'emergent' situation with the attitude of 'I wasn't expecting to treat someone one, therefore I didn't think I couldn't drink' then there could probably be some skirting of the issue. Now, I am not saying treat an injured person while * drunk, a responsible person should say 'I have been drinking and should not treat you, but if we find so-and-so they would probably be able to help you' (note the 'we'. Take responsibility and stay with the 'patient' untill sober(er ? ) help is found.)

Jr's/lightday tampons are also good for bloody noses. OB makes applicator-less ones that are nice. Come individually wrapped, no need to cut up and possibly contaminate a gauze pad.

Q-tips are good for application of TAO (triple antibiotic ointment)

I try to purchase latex free bandages and gloves, but I try to always ask people first, and warn that the products I have may not be latex free (supplies are low and all mashed together right now)

I'm going to get some ziplock baggies to keep in my kit as well, good for making icepacks (with ice) or disposing of gloves, rags, other garbage/waste.

The honey is a good idea! I've also heard plane old sugar packets (honey can crystallize after some time).

I think that's all I've got for now :)
Mudd Wench #1

megs
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Tails » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 pm

if you are wanting "medics" how advanced training are we talking about? EMT-B? EMT-P? general first aid and CPR for the professional rescuer?
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Roland Demox » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 am

Tails wrote:if you are wanting "medics" how advanced training are we talking about? EMT-B? EMT-P? general first aid and CPR for the professional rescuer?

EMT-P is no longer recognized in most places. It now goes from EMT-B to Paramedic.
Brother of the Falcon
Roland Demox
the Casual

Postby megs » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:57 pm

To answer you question Tails-
Yes. :)
To expand, we're looking at general 'community' first aide/CPR and all levels above.

We also recognize that each level advances one's skill/knowledge set and level of 'authority' with in our medic community.
(someone feel free to reword that, or expand upon it...)
Mudd Wench #1

megs
Backstabber
Backstabber

Next

Return to Guild Program