A short video on Babylon

Post your Belegarth related pictures and video here

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

A short video on Babylon

Postby Huma » Mon May 25, 2009 2:18 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B-DJmwf3NM

We had someone come to our practice wanting to do some filming of us and wanting to know about Belegarth.

He runs a website "OR-Bust.com" mainly a political website but he also go's around and films short documentary's about things in Bend Oregon
Runner of Western Wars
Member of the Order of the Raised Goblet
Check PLUS!
Huma
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst

Re: A short video on Babylon

Postby Aslaug » Mon May 25, 2009 4:26 am

Cool!
When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD!
Aslaug
Scout
Scout

Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Barbarian Nation
Favorite Fighting Styles: Anything big and heavy.

Postby Cib » Mon May 25, 2009 9:15 am

Is their anyway I can get copies of the text on your guys sandwich board? I am thinking of making one.
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Isk » Tue May 26, 2009 1:25 pm

Cool video and congrats on the publicity!

Cib beat me to the other part. I loved the signboard and was thinking of making one, please give us a copy of your text.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Huma » Tue May 26, 2009 2:08 pm

As I didn't make it myself, I'll get in touch with the person who did. :)
Runner of Western Wars
Member of the Order of the Raised Goblet
Check PLUS!
Huma
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002

Postby Isk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:47 am

Huma wrote:As I didn't make it myself, I'll get in touch with the person who did. :)

Any luck getting the text you had on the sign board? I spent about half of the last practice talking to spectators and I want to make a signboard to cut down on that. Your realm's text looks like a nice jumping off point, if you can find it.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Sipris » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 am

I came up with the sandwich board, implemented, designed and constructed...

I do accept cookies as rewards for my hardwork. :) Also, I took some of the info off the boards somewhere so I can't claim all the credit.

Keep in mind, this is VERY general for the normal person walking by to understand and posted up in bend, oregon so feel free to change your info accordingly.

Here is the text:

Come Fight With Us!

Belegarth Medieval Combat Society turns Dark Age warfare into a safe, fun, full contact sport using foam-padded weapons. On the battlefield we exchange strikes which may be blocked or constitute hits disabling limbs and bodies. This is a fast-paced creative martial art for ages 14 and up. Swords, flails, axes, maces, and more come from cores of fiberglass, PVC, and kite spar tubing surrounded by layers of foam adhered by heavy duty glue and tape. Before being allowed on the field, all weapons are safety checked by ‘heralds’ or referees. Heralds wear yellow tabards and coordinate the battles.
---------------------------------------------------
Feel free to watch, take pictures, root for a warrior or join in the fun!

Rules of Combat:
1. No swinging to the head or neck! Only extra-cushioned projectiles in flight (arrows, javelins, or rocks) are built to safely bounce off the head.

2. Two strikes to any combination of limbs (arms or legs) = ‘death.’ When you ‘die,’ call out “Dead!” while dropping your gear and falling to the ground.

3. One strike to either arm results in putting it behind your back. If your leg receives a strike, you must kneel on the ground and drag the injured leg.

4. One strike to the body (shoulder tops through hips and buttocks) = ‘death.’ For example, if you are hit in the chest you would call out “Dead!”, drop your weapons and lay on the ground. Same for the back, butt, hips, and shoulders.

5. We aim to make solid contact with our opponents. If an opponents’ swing does not make sufficient contact call out “light!” or if the strike only catches clothing, a warrior would call “garb.” Also, hands holding swords and feet on the ground don’t count.

This is an honor-based system, so we count on everyone to keep track of their ‘hits’ and to call their own ‘death.’
For more information check out: http://www.belegarth.org
-------------------------------------------------------------
Belegarth is a national non-profit society consisting of many different groups that gather for local, regional and national events. The group or “realm” in Bend, OR is called Babylon. Babylon’s realm leader is Gavin Douglas or fighting name “Dyse”.
*Practice Times:
Wednesdays * 4pm
Sundays * 1pm
Drake Park year-round
*Practice times may vary depending on weather.

Other Belegarth groups in Oregon can be found in Ashland, Eugene, Sandy, and Portland.
------------------------------------------
Fighting names/Persona
In Belegarth, everyone creates their own persona or character. Often, this is simply an alternate name and warrior’s garb but invites people to write their story.
To find out more on creating personas check out http://www.belegarth.org
-------------------------------------------
Affordable
Belegarth is fun and affordable! As you learn to play you are welcome to use loaner gear from the group *. In time, all warriors are expected to acquire their own fighting garb (clothing) and weaponry. One can construct equipment for less than $50 or purchase online for as much as one is willing to spend.
To find out more about how to make weapons check-out rules and regulations at http://www.belegarth.org

----------------------------------------
History
What is the origin of the name 'Belegarth'?
The name Belegarth means "Great Realms" in J.R.R. Tolkien's Sindarin language. The name comes from the following.
beleg = adj. great, mighty y/352, S/428 leka (BEL-EK).
ardh = n. realm, region. Ety/360 arda (AR1-AD).
Ety = Etymologies - History of Middle Earth.
S = Silmilrilian
# is page number
The members of Belegarth are known as 'Belegrim', which means "Mighty People".

Our clothing is called 'garb'. Garb is the ‘uniform’ for our sport. Warriors are encouraged to make medieval or fantasy themed clothing that portrays their individual persona, unit allegiance, or realm affiliation.
Though the "uniform" rules are more creative in our game than most other sports, Belegarth maintains standards that determine valid garb.
At local practices you may see participants wearing street clothes just like basketball players may wear sweats instead of game jerseys. At national events, however, garb is an elaborate display of tabards, tunics, armor and warrior-wear from all cultures of the world.

Events may be major competitions or campout gatherings in the woods. Many fighters practice locally to go fight other groups at large national events hosting 200-700 warriors for a few days up to a week at a time. Events often include 1 on 1 or team tournaments, field battles, games, delicious feasts, and fiery nightlife.

Big events in Oregon:
~Western Wars (held either around Portland or Bend area in May)
~Chumpsgiving (held the day after Thanksgiving in Bend)

Other nearby events:
~Thaw Brawl (held in Idaho during April)
~Chaos Wars (held in Idaho during July or August)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What makes Belegarth different from other medieval combat games?

There are a number of other medieval combat organizations currently in existence: the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), Amtgard, Dagorhir, NERO and others. While there are similarites, there are also differences from one group to another. Belegarth's chief differences come in the level of contact, role-playing and costs to play.

Belegarth combat is a full contact sport. This differentiates it from other foam combat games in that we allow grappling, shield kicks and bashes and do not require participants to pull blows. This allows for fast paced, hard fighting.
Belegarth participants are also not required to roleplay, although it is certainly encouraged. Many foam combat groups have races, classes, magic and roleplaying integrated into the gameplay. Belegarth's combat system is focused entirely on just that: combat. If you choose to roleplay, your character is limited only by your imagination; we have no rules regarding roleplaying and no combat advantages are given.
House: Valkyries
Sipris
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 11 Nov 2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword/board, flo, archery
Pronouns: They / Them

Postby Cib » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Sweet Awsome Sipris! Thanks so much! :D
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Tagzhadri » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Hello, my name is Carson, and i have recently gotten into Belegarth. I am in the realm of Babylon, and i have about four or five friends that want to get into it too. if its acceptable we would like to start a new unit/kingdom within the realm. i just want some fellow Babylonians to reply to this if you can, give me some tips, maybe tell me what your requirements are? :axes:
Tagzhadri
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Nov 2010

Postby Dangus » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Does Moses have a mohawk now?
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby PhotoJoe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Holy thread-necro, Batman!
Hash wrote:ok guys, now that he's gone, we can all REALLY talk **** about him :D
PhotoJoe
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: None now
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swinging sticks & getting hit...lots

Postby MeleeMoses » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Tagzhadri wrote:Hello, my name is Carson, and i have recently gotten into Belegarth. I am in the realm of Babylon, and i have about four or five friends that want to get into it too. if its acceptable we would like to start a new unit/kingdom within the realm. i just want some fellow Babylonians to reply to this if you can, give me some tips, maybe tell me what your requirements are? :axes:

Hey man!!
We usually have practice on Sundays if we are not to lazy and or the weather is all ****
But you should come out with all your homies and throw down maybe this sunday or the next?
ill pm you my address and some contact info so you can talk to us one on one and get you all set up!!
JAWESOME!!
GS
"He may look like a hippie...But he's a warmonger"-Goat
MeleeMoses
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: GodSquad

Return to Pictures & Video