Video editing aficionados

Post your Belegarth related pictures and video here

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Video editing aficionados

Postby Ora » Mon May 25, 2009 11:19 am

Lately I've been recording video on my video camera and running it into my computer to edit and transfer onto DVD. The transfer onto the computer alone eats up much memory as the tuner I must to use to interface with my computer has a program and it automatically saves the video onto my hdd as an AVI file... these get HUUUUGE! Just under an hour saves at just under 10gig. I can then edit and export as an MPEG file, but these are still rather large, but workable for a DVD. What I'd like to know... if any of you know... how I can compress even further so I can post some video files on the web without losing too much quality. Is there such a way?
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Re: Video editing aficionados

Postby Derian » Tue May 26, 2009 6:19 am

You probably just need to reduce the resolution and quality settings. A lot of cameras have them set pretty high by default. Standard movies are often transferred in AVI format and generally run 700MB for a ~2hr movie.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Ora » Tue May 26, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Derian, I'll check to see if there's a way to change settings. It's an 'older' camera, as standards go. It's about 10 years old, if that, but like I said as today's standards go it's 'old', but still really nice. Although I've been filming video for years, I'm just really new to creating my own videos and digitizing them. There's so much to learn.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Inioch » Fri May 29, 2009 6:28 am

The only way you'll be able to reduce the size to that of Youtube uploads is by losing quality. Like Derian said, camera settings are usually pretty high. What program are you using to import your video?
I'm an agent of Chaos...
"Inioch! It's about time your * * showed up!" - Shub
http://www.blackswan.darkbb.com
Inioch
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2002
Realm: Rausumea
Unit: Black Swan
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Ora » Fri May 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Inioch wrote:The only way you'll be able to reduce the size to that of Youtube uploads is by losing quality. Like Derian said, camera settings are usually pretty high. What program are you using to import your video?
I'm using Nero 8 & 9 (depends on which computer I'm on)
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Saxon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:06 pm

OK, here we go.

First, download this file, unzip it, and install the program. It is called the H.264 Auto Encoder. It turns AVI and WMV files into an .MKV file.

When videos are encoded from raw AVI files, you have three main factors that determine quality and size: the encoder (ie xvid, dvix), the codec (ie ffdshow), and the container (ie wmv, mov, avi, mkv).

To make the smallest movie files possible, download the CCCP and use the ffdshow codec, the xvid encoder (dvix is just a name brand software version of xvid...don't buy dvix), and do your original export in WMV. I have Adobe Premiere for video editing/rendering/exporting, but there are other, cheaper, simpler, and even free alternatives. Use whatever you can get your hands on.

Once you have a WMV file of your video, run the auto-encoder I linked at the top. Choose your wmv as an input, pick a filename for your output, check the box for "Audio is included in the video file", turn the speed all the way down, leave the quality setting around medium (you can set it super high, but the difference between that and medium are not noticeable to the human eye), then hit go.

There are alternative options (ie Staxrip) for encoding to MKV, but the one I linked is the most user friendly by far.

This encode to MKV will take a long time, just set it before you go to bed or work or whatever.

To play these back, I recommend MPlayer, but VLC, or even Windows Media Player, should be able to handle them if you have the CCCP linked above, and you have a fast enough computer.

The Autoencoder and GUI were created by gamers for making game videos smaller so they could be shared via the interwebs. To give you an idea, the last time I used this I turned a 993MB (7MB short of a gig) file into 225MB, so about 75% reduction in size with near lossless quality.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any questions, I'll do my best.

Saxon
Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, * - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
Saxon
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2004
Realm: Whatever Portland is called this year
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board or beer and drum.

Postby Od1n » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02 am

However, MKV (h.264) is incredibly obnoxious and not really considered a main stream format.

Videos should always be done in a fashion that almost everyone is able to view them. Can't remember how many times video files were in .mov or some **** and * me off, can't imagine people who barely know how to use a web browser are supposed to do.
I am Odin
Od1n
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1921

Postby Solusar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Find a friend with a Mac. They can help.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Return to Pictures & Video