Possible Feature Length Belegarth Documentary

Post your Belegarth related pictures and video here

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Possible Feature Length Belegarth Documentary

Postby Spork » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:21 am

Hello all,

Some of you may know, most of you probably don't, but that's ok. My fighting name is Spork and I've been fighting since early 2006, off and on because of jobs and college. Now, I'm about to move to NYC with a production company I started.

The reason I started this thread is kind of to toss some ideas around. I'm 1/4th the creative team of a production company that I founded called Pale Blue Pictures. You can find our work on Vimeo, link found at the bottom of this post, as well as some others.

I'm looking to produce a feature-length documentary on the sport of Belegarth. I've seen other documentaries like the one on Darkon and some things on Dagorhir, but nothing really fully produced and polished product that I hope to create. I feel that often, the images we see don't show the intensity of this sport nor the creativity of some of it's members. You may have seen the short Lowlands Promo that I shot and produced for the Lowlands here in Central Florida.

I'm going to Spring Wars with the 3 other people from the company and we're hoping to sit down with many of you and discuss the sport, and get lots of in-depth coverage of the fighting. This thread is a heads-up and also to get the opinion from you. And don't worry, there will be no coverage of the wonderful night-life, unless there is something WP has planned like a bonfire, or night fighting.

Lastly, I'd like to get all the contact information for WP/Stonehouse, to hopefully arrange and organize this in the best manner possible. The last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes or * anybody off.

Thanks,
Spork

LINKS:
Pale Blue Pictures Vimeo Page
Personal Vimeo Page
Lowlands Belegarth Promo
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Re: Possible Feature Length Belegarth Documentary

Postby Nuri » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Lastly, I'd like to get all the contact information for WP/Stonehouse, to hopefully arrange and organize this in the best manner possible. The last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes or * anybody off.

The Kumpania Del Ruv is running Springwars. Your best bet is to contact us through the Springwars Facebook page. Tobin, Meeka, Bevin or myself will be the best bet for initial contact.
Kumpania Del Ruv
Nuri
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Wolfpack
Unit: Kumpania Del Ruv

Postby Sir Par » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:59 pm

You should also get footage from Arm in June, since that is our national event, and all of the BOD members will be there
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Acorn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:04 pm

come to Chaos Wars. widely regarded as one of the most fun events, there will be a ton of sweet stuff going on.

frankly, if you really want to do a real in depth documentary, you should go to as many events as possible in as many regions as possible and talk to as many people as possible to get a real feel. mhmm mhmm.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Spork » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah, I'd love to attend Arm and Okfest, but as we're a fledgling small business from NY, it's difficult to fund a pursuit like that. However, I hope to get enough footage from SW to at least put together a documentary that I can possibly use to acquire funding from the right people.

I was thinking of starting a Kickstarter to fund the project, but without a solid example of our ability to capture a large Belegarth event, I doubt our abilities to get enough money from even the Belegarth community. Hopefully after Spring Wars, I'll have garnered enough support with the footage and product, that I can get the money required to attend a few more events.

Acorn, I'd love to go to Chaos, it's one of the Western events that I have always wanted to attend and I've only heard great things. But, money is always an issue, especially when running a business.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Acorn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:23 pm

understandable. if you get more backing, hopefully you'll get a chance. good luck man.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Osric/Mageta » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:34 pm

If only you could make it to Chaos....
Western Uruk-Hai WAAAGH
Ravager
Team Pirate Ninja (since 2010)
Boris took me for a ride at CW14.
Osric/Mageta
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: IN THE BUFF

Postby Samhain Crawford » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:44 pm

What can we, the Belegarth community, do to make this easier/more succesful for you? I'm sure we could help you with incidental costs (food, tentspace), maybe even transportation costs if you found the right people (those coming from the same place as you probably). What do you need to make this the best it can be? Give us a wish list and let's see what can be done about it. The more of this type of exposure we can get, the better it is for the sport. It benefits us all, we can all throw in a little to help.
Samhain Crawford
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2004
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: All- Sword & Board right now

Postby Slagar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm curious as to how you intend to portray this group. Belegarth is lots of different things to lots of people. For me, this is a sport, basically paintball with swords. I fight for the physical competition, and the comradery. For others, it's somewhere much closer to a LARP, and for others it's a chance to play a historical warrior. Some treat it as a martial art, with all the nuances that implies (I suppose I fall into this group as well). No one paradigm fits anywhere close to all of us.

I would have no interest in funding or going out of my way to support a feature-length film that made my sport/martial art look like something out of a cosplay con. Just like somebody who loved garb and funny accents wouldn't get behind an ESPN-style treatment of the group. If you want broad community support, speak to the members of Belegarth, and convince us that what you are trying to make will show the world why we love this game. It's challenging to try and make something that encompasses all of what Belegarth is, but if you can do that, I think you'll find the amount of support you get fairly shocking.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Samhain Crawford » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Agreed, Slagar. Oh, and talk to Dac. He made the videos that I show people to explain what we do.
Samhain Crawford
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2004
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: All- Sword & Board right now

Postby Galya » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 am

Spork wrote:we're hoping to sit down with many of you and discuss the sport

If you're looking for volunteers to speak with, I'd be more than happy to help. And being both a Goblyn and BoD member, I can present a couple different sides of the sport. You'd still need to grab a stick-jock or two though, that isn't really my forte. :)
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Rocca » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:42 am

For real stick jock culture you need to get out west with us Chaos folk ;)
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2002
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, archery
Pronouns: She / Her

Postby Caleidah » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:03 am

I'd be willing to take some time out to talk with you too, Spork. As far as helping you guys along, I'm guessing that a hot meal would do you all well.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Djoske » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 am

I guess that you would have to show all the aspects of Belegarth in the documentary,and to explain that to some people its sport/marshal art and to some "LARP" so i believe that both sides of Belegarth should be shown,so that different people who like different things can see that and maybe find them selves in it ?
I am a man who respects his heritage,we Serbs came from the Ancient Slavs,altho we took Christianity and lost our pagan gods,the fires of Slav people still burn in our veins.Our Order-The Neuri are the representatives of Serbian-Slavic culture and power....do not stand in our way.....
Djoske
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 30 Jan 1993
Realm: Dazbog
Unit: Neuri
Favorite Fighting Styles: Brawling with 2hand sword

Postby Slagar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:41 am

Excellent point, Djoske. Very insightful. :neutral:
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Spork » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Thank you all for the positive responses.

I really have no interest in pursuing an in-depth documentary about the personas found in Belegarth. I started playing this sport for the physical aspect and I hope I can show the intensity of the sport as well as it's creative aspects. The feature-documentary Monster Camp, which was about NERO, seemed to focus on the lives in and out of the sport. Although this topic will be touched on, it's not necessarily the focal point of the documentary.

If you've seen some of our other work, we use a lot more b-roll than a lot of documentaries. We like to avoid the talking heads that plague so many documentaries. Which is why I'd love to attend as many events as possible.

I want to capture the moments in this game that make us all go out time and time again, to hit each other with sticks and dress in silly clothes. I've always found documentary filmmaking to be sort of a treasure hunt. Each one of us has a reason to go to practice or travel 18 hours to an event, it's the material I'll be digging for.

As far as a wishlist, I haven't really thought of it. I was going to spend some of my money to attend SW and hopefully get a decent short-project that could help acquire the necessary funding and support for the possible feature-length documentary.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Angmarth » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm a pretty good interview (I've had a LOT of practice) and would love to sit down with you. I will post a couple u-tube links for short documentary videos for you to check out.
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Angmarth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:01 am

Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Spork » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:48 am

Most definitely, Angmarth. I'm going to arrange an area to set up some interviews off the field. Hopefully with the fighting field in the background.

Let's just hope it doesn't rain this year. Haha, otherwise I'm guessing the barn (if it's still there) for the interviews. I'll be doing some more organization with the event-runners this year to hopefully get everything set up to run without hiccups.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Return to Pictures & Video