The "What is Belegarth" Video

Post your Belegarth related pictures and video here

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

The "What is Belegarth" Video

Postby Tails » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:16 am

There are a few out there, but are there any that any of you would actually pull up when someone asks you "What's Belegarth?"

Of the ones that I've seen I've had some complaints about them and I was wondering if anyone shared the same complaints with me?

Also, is there any interest in doing a collaborative and definitive "What is Belegarth?" Video?

I'm thinking of posting some of those videos and seeing how we can make them better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UG1ZDJ5vjo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYDy_5v8Kb4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le0AwjqzXVg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYikWYpjz2w[/youtube]
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Re: The "What is Belegarth" Video

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 am

I think that this is a better route to go than getting in on the TV show.

In my mind, each area with several realms within reasonable driving distance could get together and have a day event where everyone is in awesome garb and numbers are high. Video would be taken of fights (some choreographed), scripts written for interviews, and someone with movie skills could edit in non-corny music and title sequences for a 5 min promo vid for regional Belegarth.

All the videos could then be compiled on a single web page (youtube?) and/or edited together into a larger mini-documentary representing the sport as a whole in whatever light we see fit. I could really get behind this, but I feel there should be some sort of format that all the videos stick to so they're quasi-uniform, hit on the points we really want to project, and avoid us looking like a cluster **** as well as keeping any negative stereotypes out of the public eye.

Example: (and this is just me spitballing)
  • Open w/ 1v1 fight sequences: great garb/armor; reasonably fast paced; voice over about full contact martial sport, etc
  • Switch to small (4v4?) group battles: garb/armor; voice over about team work, situational awareness, combined arms
  • Switch to full line battles: all sorts of weapons; arrows/javs (choreographed?) flying through the air - epic deaths; perhaps start some epic music; voice over about how it all comes together in huge events with 50/100 + people all there for the thrill of the fight or whatever
  • Face time with Realm leadership: discuss location, attendance, what you offer to the community/those that come out; talk up benefits: exercise, camaraderie, creative outlet, relax and have fun
  • Discuss RP / historocity / stick jocking and how it affects garb/kits, general attitude towards the sport by members and non-members.
  • Focus on non-combatants: Pictures of excellent garb slideshow, pictures of making garb; voice over about what garb is and why its important; shots of how garb flows and should not restrict; pictures and voiceover of what is **** garb; talk up supporters (spouses, friends, girlfriends) on sidelines and what, if any, positions they hold in the realm and what crafts they do - they're important and appreciated too
  • Events: Pictures of large battles; pictures of camp (good period tents too) pictures of night life (belly dancers, fire breathers, musicians especially); pictures of feast; voice over of what events are, how long they last, cost, what's expected of attendees and the event staff, why they're awesome; talk up your local event
  • Conclusion: Face time w/ realm leadership/rank and file; quick quick talk of what belegarth means to them; perhaps just voiceovers with more video of fights/appropriate pics of what person is saying; end w/ crescendo of epic music / credits

This sort of creative control will benefit us much more than simply being on TV. Derian made a good point of shows like that comparing gamers to heroin addicts. What do you say? Can we get in on this? I'm not just talking about mental * where we think up nice ideas and then sit idly by because we solved the problem in our heads. Let's grow this discussion and act on it.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Osric/Mageta » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:34 pm

I am 100% for this idea. I have little knowledge of what it takes to put together a good video, but anything I can do to help, I will.
Western Uruk-Hai WAAAGH
Ravager
Team Pirate Ninja (since 2010)
Boris took me for a ride at CW14.
Osric/Mageta
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: IN THE BUFF

Postby Cedric » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:33 pm

i like this idea.
My favorite color is beer.
Always folow the gospel of Cedric, or ye shall be damned.
Cedric

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1993
Realm: Ebonhold
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Postby Tails » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:19 pm

So, I think we can take one of two roads with this.
1st road: Super easy rout meant to inform anyone from a grandpa to someone who does something similar.
2nd road: Something a little more streamlind for someone who would already have an interest in us.

Open w/ 1v1 fight sequences: great garb/armor; reasonably fast paced; voice over about full contact martial sport, etc

Switch to small (4v4?) group battles: garb/armor; voice over about team work, situational awareness, combined arms

I think we can do without the info about situational awareness and combined arms.

Switch to full line battles: all sorts of weapons; arrows/javs (choreographed?) flying through the air - epic deaths; perhaps start some epic music; voice over about how it all comes together in huge events with 50/100 + people all there for the thrill of the fight or whatever
I dunno about the choreographed part, especially with it being a big team battle.

Face time with Realm leadership: discuss location, attendance, what you offer to the community/those that come out; talk up benefits: exercise, camaraderie, creative outlet, relax and have fun
Sure, I think we can get anyone to do this, but are we going to make this a realm thing? or more of a national thing? (I think one national one would be better than a bunch of realm ones.)

Discuss RP / historocity / stick jocking and how it affects garb/kits, general attitude towards the sport by members and non-members.

Again, depending on who we are going to try and target with this video, we might want to skim over this part. After sayign that I do think it's important to mention this and maybe have a few talking heads spanning the line from stick jock to flurby RPer

Focus on non-combatants: Pictures of excellent garb slideshow, pictures of making garb; voice over about what garb is and why its important; shots of how garb flows and should not restrict; pictures and voiceover of what is **** garb; talk up supporters (spouses, friends, girlfriends) on sidelines and what, if any, positions they hold in the realm and what crafts they do - they're important and appreciated too

I think we can leave out what **** garb is, and focus on the positive aspect of garb, and non-comism.

Events: Pictures of large battles; pictures of camp (good period tents too) pictures of night life (belly dancers, fire breathers, musicians especially); pictures of feast; voice over of what events are, how long they last, cost, what's expected of attendees and the event staff, why they're awesome; talk up your local event

This would need to be done very carefully, lest we brand ourselves poorly.

Conclusion: Face time w/ realm leadership/rank and file; quick quick talk of what belegarth means to them; perhaps just voiceovers with more video of fights/appropriate pics of what person is saying; end w/ crescendo of epic music / credits
That's another thing we need to be careful with, music. There were a couple videos I saw that were killed because they went too far with the overly dramatic medieval music.

So I guess we need to ask ourselves two questions, should these be things that realms make, or should this be one big national video?

And; should this/these be for a general audience or for our target audience only? Why not both? We could make the big one and edit down.

Thoughts?
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Taxfrog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 am

My $.02

I think an emphasis on mixed unit tactics is a great idea, that's one of the things that drew me into this game. Situational awareness, however, is better saved for the field.

I feel that a few choreographed demos may be good; make fighting look a little more Bravehearty to draw peoples' interest. On the other hand, you don't want someone showing up to practice totally disillusioned with the battle system, which is where presenting field battles would play a strong role.

Talking up the community aspect of Bel gets a big thumbs up from me.

Discuss RP / historocity / stick jocking and how it affects garb/kits, general attitude towards the sport by members and non-members.

Meh, I wanted to fight, but everyone has their reasons; I have no opinion. That being said, as far as "What is Belegarth" as opposed to straight up recruitment demo, this is probably essential.

Focus on non-combatants: Pictures of excellent garb slideshow, pictures of making garb; voice over about what garb is and why its important; shots of how garb flows and should not restrict; pictures and voiceover of what is **** garb; talk up supporters (spouses, friends, girlfriends) on sidelines and what, if any, positions they hold in the realm and what crafts they do - they're important and appreciated too

See above

Sell events too. Also a word or two on how you get to mix with fighters from all over the nation and get combat tips and build relationships, yadda yadda yadda.

Conclusion: Face time w/ realm leadership/rank and file; quick quick talk of what belegarth means to them; perhaps just voiceovers with more video of fights/appropriate pics of what person is saying; end w/ crescendo of epic music / credits

Sure, I've never known how to wrap up any paper/presentation so this is as good as any as far as I know.

Now, if this video were to be made correctly, there would be a huge opportunity to share it on public access television. I know I would try to get it there. Shared throughout the community with that in mind, it would be an honest representation of what Bel has to offer, and would combat some of the darker misconceptions of LARP as a whole.

If someone were to get together a script or what have you to get this done in a clean, professional manner, I would gladly donate a little money to the cause (~$15, I'm broke here!)
Taxfrog
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 19 May 2011
Realm: Pyke the Ironport
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gettin' hit in the D

Postby Todo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:22 pm

We should use this video, as is, just change 'Dagorhir' to 'Belegarth'. Truly epic 1v1s.

Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Todo's officially banned from the project :angel:

A video sanctioned by the WC as fit for representing the game as a whole nationally is a worthwhile end goal. Public access TV and youtube would be perfect spots for it. IMO, the best way to get to that point is to take from the best of regionally made movies. With an agreed-upon format, there won't be so much to wade through for the final editing team.

I think Tails' two pronged approach fits the bill for this. The regionally made vids - these should definitely not be realm-specific unless there's only one realm in a four hour drive, but should be made with the input of the area realms for both increased numbers, better fight scenes, and to truly best represent the game in the area - can focus more on the angle of recruiting with a little bit of general knowledge for the uninitiated. Then, take these ~ 5-minute regional vids and edit them into a 10-20 minute presentation that can go all-out and touch on the universal fine points and bring the uninitiated up to speed.

I think you guys are right about not needing to show crappy garb, and there is a very strong case to be made about carefully selecting night life material. That's the beauty of this project though - Belegarth is in complete control of its own image. Music also is going to need to be carefully selected, but it shouldn't be too hard when we incorporate the different realms in an area. Enough people will be involved to give a reasonable thumbs up/down.

Re: choreography, my intent isn't to really lie to the public, so much as it is to capture some awesome stuff that happens all the time, usually without a camera. It should be used sparingly, but I think it could tip the balance in our favor if its done at full speed with some epic deaths. Just think about the opening battle of LoTR where the elven archers mow down the charging orcs. Seeing a good portion of a line go down with creative camera angles on a large battle might be pretty bad *.

I like where this is going. More people with thoughts?
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Tails » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:A video sanctioned by the WC as fit for representing the game as a whole nationally is a worthwhile end goal. Public access TV and youtube would be perfect spots for it.

Agreed

Tiberius Claudius"Then, take these ~ 5-minute regional vids and edit them into a 10-20 minute presentation that can go all-out and touch on the universal fine points and bring the uninitiated up to speed.[/quote]
The only problem I have with doing regional videos is that it's going to look wonkey with different video cameras, if you can think of a way to get around this I'm all ears.

[quote="Tiberius Claudius wrote:
I think you guys are right about not needing to show crappy garb.

I'm probably alone when I say this, but I think if there are going to be videos of practices we should have speckled some fighters out of garb.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:Re: choreography, my intent isn't to really lie to the public, so much as it is to capture some awesome stuff that happens all the time, usually without a camera.

I think we can do this is a way that it looks epic without looking fake. Set up one or two fighters with a goal and set up a small senario. EX:

(Two fighters have to kill three guys and then survive another two that rush in after the three guys are killed, and you repeat it untill the origional two win)

Just a thought.
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spork » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:19 pm

This is an awesome idea.

And I figured I should weigh in on this subject because this is actually what I do to make a living. (http://www.palebluepictures.com / http://www.jdmadden.com)

Here is a promo I helped create for the Lowlands realm where I fought for a few years:

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMx6y9D9zLs

It was a different approach than the usual metal music and fighting video. I wish more people would have attended the filming because we had to rely on creative editing to make it look more action-packed. I think it helps promote the game, show a bit of intensity, while still maintaining some form of character.

I'm not really a creator of screen content, I'm the guy who makes sure it gets there. But, what I'm seeing discussed here is great. I don't think crappy garb should be in the video at all and absolutely nothing terribly mundane (ie, blue jeans, camo, etc.) I'd love to see some epic field battles from 'Fest, WPO, and/or Chaos.

This is what I'd like to see:
I'd start it with some drums, maybe people chanting or something, black screen with credits? Then cut to some footage before a huge field battle people hitting shields, close ups of weapons, armor, etc. Then have someone start discussing what Belegarth is, some very minor rules and safety stuff, have b-roll of someone checking weapons and teaching someone. Move to some character stuff, role-play, non-combatants, merchants. Next is just a very short introduction to combat and combat styles, units, then it goes to huge battles during a musical break, maybe some 1v1s, etc. It ends with a few people talking about how much they love the game. Credits, info, done.

I've been trying to get out and shoot some video at a large event ever since I've purchased a better camera but somehow real life keeps jumping in the way.

Here is a plug though. I own a production company and we travel. I've been itching to do a project for Belegarth for years. ;)

Our reel:

Link: http://youtu.be/5EJRpN9_vR0
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Sir Par » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVcMjJH-a40

This is the best video of the many that have been made by Boise State film students.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Davit » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:46 pm

These are just some recruitment commercials done quite a few years ago by a film student. These were filmed at ISU, I know they don't really show a lot of things but, they arn't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb7qfwsFvRU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-DmScPegL0

I'm also trying to get permission to put part of a masters project from another ISU student up here, but that may take some doing.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Gámhain » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:56 pm

If anyone is interested in helping with an official Belegarth video, I have professional video equipment and editing software... all I need are the bodies.

Specifically:
[*]Canon XL-2 3CCD video camera with multiple lenses and filters
shotgun and lavalier XLR microphones
Tripod (soon also a monopod for portability)

Adobe CS5 Production Premium (Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.)

I do this for a living...
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:01 pm

If someone could secure a secure place to keep your equipment and it was secure enough for you would you be willing to come to CW and film there?
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Gámhain » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:49 am

Remy the Wroth wrote:If someone could secure a secure place to keep your equipment and it was secure enough for you would you be willing to come to CW and film there?

I would be more than happy to shoot Chaos Wars if I had a very VERY safe place to stash my gear.

Fear of having all of my **** stolen/destroyed is the only thing that keeps me from bringing my camera and everything to events with me.

Edit: And hopefully, by Chaos next year, I will be able to upgrade to an HD version of my camera.
Brother of Clan Germania
Wandering Mintrel

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Hammaren Hjarta » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Hopefully next chaos you actually come so we can get our sing song on..... ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVVVVEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH.

Hammaren Hjarta
As i die, I hold my sword my only friend, And pray that Oden will take me home.
Hammaren Hjarta
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Gámhain » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:52 pm

This is what I want to do, but with better equipment.
Brother of Clan Germania
Wandering Mintrel

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Gámhain » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Spork wrote:This is an awesome idea.

And I figured I should weigh in on this subject because this is actually what I do to make a living. (http://www.palebluepictures.com / http://www.jdmadden.com)

Spork, nice demo reel! Only issue I noticed was some of the clips had some interlace artifacts, but if it's older footage it was probably shot in 24p, so I guess there's not much to be done about it.

Also, if you own a production company... give me a job.
Brother of Clan Germania
Wandering Mintrel

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Spork » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks!

If you're talking about the one on my site, then yeah, it was a 16mm transfer to SD. When I asked for the raw footage to edit, I got all kinds of garbage. That transfer lab sucked anyways.

Haha, if we were making more money than we are, I'd love to hire someone to help lug things around. :frog:
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Of course Ragnarok has Juggalos. goddamnit Dagorhir.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Pictures & Video