Team Fight (Video, advice needed on red fighting)

Post your Belegarth related pictures and video here

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Team Fight (Video, advice needed on red fighting)

Postby Akroth » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:13 pm

The title pretty much sums it up.

I've been doing Belegarth pretty heavily for a few years now (mostly sword and board and florentine, a bit of spear), but I'm new to fighting red. I've watched Grumio's spear fighting tutorials and the red tutorials by Dac and Dozzer:

The key areas where I'm having trouble:

1 - How should I approach combat using a red when my teammates aren't being aggressive?

2 - How should I approach a 2v1 or 3v1 situation?

See video below (I'm fighting in the black/red garb, red glaive)
[youtube]Ias3Vh6_V3g#![/youtube]
Ranting about the BoW so you don't have to.
More rants here: http://board.belegarth.com/viewforum.php?f=66
Akroth
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Apr 2009
Realm: Thunder Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Re: Team Fight (Video, advice needed on red fighting)

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 pm

That's a tought situation. https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1mjnqkq3H2o09uJyrxeptCVa9yQ_k9hN-BYiJKltZzIA&hl=en
Read this, think about it all the time.
But not on the field, just go bannaners * on people like a belligerant *.
Watch these over and over again.

Mostly if you're not murdering people/shields/other poles then you're a distraction/bait for missiles/poles/people who want to run poles and chomp 'em.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Ragefire » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 am

Swing until you can't anymore, yell at your teammates. Tell them to go home if they don't want to fight. With a glaive you have the range where active defense isn't necessary all the time. Kill the **** out of people. Leg everyone and then pound them into the ground like a railroad stake.

2v1 with a glaive sucks, you're better off with a red sword, but with a glaive you have to keep your range so you better be quick on your feet. Leg one of them and then hit the other guy so hard he stops fighting for the day.

3v1 is very similar, leg one or two then pound people while you're on the run.

Remember that circling and sidestepping is always better than backing straight up. Backshields/bucklers, and back up weapons can only help in these situations. As can armor.
''Stop running!! You're only going to die tired!!!''
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2009
Realm: Florida
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Great Sword

Postby Sir Killian » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:16 pm

1st I feel like I am a legit pole fighter, not the best but by far not the worst, but I am excellent at tactica with a pole fighter and a wing man...

1. Your swing is terrible for a glaive... It's great for a 4ft red... Not so much for a glaive... You need to swing with one arm and use the other as a fulcrum/pivot.... Ill see if I can find a video of a good swing mechanic... Warpole swinging is good for UNarmored opponents and those with punch shields, but agains heavies you need a bit more oomph...

2. Work your angles... A glaive is never fighting the fighter infront of him.. Unless its 1v1

3. Your shield man isn't just a wing man... You need to communicate with each other... If he is the bait you need to whack a spud, if he wants the kill you need to be the bait... This gets better the more you fight with someone...

4. Get comfortable fighting on both sides of your wing man... In a 3v3 or a small line you need to be on the out side... Working the shields to open up shots for your shield men. This is also pending composition of who your fighting with...

5. No offence meant but either the archer was new or they can't see straight cause you should have been shot from the get go.. So good job avoiding arrows that is a poles bane... I didn't get to see your defense too much, so I'd have to see a bit of that to advise...

I agree with rage fire on the legging buisness...and swinging more... And armor helps a ton ... But disagree with him on the short red for multiple opponents... A glaive instills fear into a lot of people especially if you can swing properly and crush people... And his advice on backing up is all pending the situation...
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby Sir Killian » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Oh and I'm not a fan of bucklers or back shields the have a tendency to restrict proper shot generation with a glaive... More so bucklers as opposed to back shields
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby Torry » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Sorry I missed this thread earlier.

Sir Killian is pretty legit and makes some great points. Ragefire and the rest of the glaive fighting community are generally in agreement about wrecking people's day with leg shots and reds.

I need to update my guide to have pictures of proper position and shot mechanics.

One thing that will help you greatly is taking charge of your wingman, or your team, when they aren't where you need them. Most fighters should recognise that you are trying to make their life easy. Just tell them to move up or over to where they need to be.

Once the other team has turtled up, you just have to watch for arrows. Static lines should be easy pickings for your glaive.

You are throwing decent single handed stabs, but too close to your max range as far as I can see. Try to force spears our of position, then close to stab them.

If you aren't threatened by spear, switch between stabs and reds. Example, stab left target's leg, then immediately sweep to right target's hip, etc, etc. This is harder with your shorter glaive. (6' roughly?)

Glaives are rough 1v1 or worse. The preferrable shot is to back away and to your right (assuming you are right-hand forward) and sweeping first target's leg. Then fighting the next, till you can mop up later.
Sir Torrence Yrrot
Brother Librarian, BOF
The guy killing your line with a glaive.
Torry
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Return to Pictures & Video