Comments and concerns for Armageddon 6!!

Threads with info from past events

Moderators: telanar, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Comments and concerns for Armageddon 6!!

Postby Theros the Large » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:20 pm

This thread is dedicated for people who wish to give comments and input for next years Armageddon.

Wolfpack and Rhun are getting a lot of good ideas and welcome everyones opinion. I would appreciate it if one of the mods would make this topic a sticky.

Please keep the posts clean and on topic in here.

Thank you all...
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby Cyric » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:58 pm

Also, we will be having more in-depth discussion in the wolfpack forum http://www.wolfpackonline.org/forum, but since Xooyan asked so nicely, we'll try and keep dialoge going here, at least for the more important stuff, such as dates, nightlife, themes, etc.

Once the post-arm 5 thread dies down, i'd as a mod (winfang?) to clean out all the old threads, except this one, and rename the forum Arm 6.

Thanks
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby bo1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 pm

Shinnaniggins- I like better the idea of having sacred items and flags delivered by troll. this way there is no personal prooperty involved in the game. if something does get broken its the events and it was assumed to be in play. i want to be very clear that if any one touches anything not from troll it is stealing, athourities will be called. i put alot of hard work and money into the tower, if it got damaged i wouldn't bring it back, nor would i continue to build my castle for events.
Shinanigans is a fun game, if done correctly.
i think each group thats wants to play gets a flag and a sacred item. these are to be displayed near the main fire. 2 points will be awarded for the flag and 1 for the sacred item. 5 points for both if they are turned in to troll at the same time. i can make the flags fairly cheaply. the items will be from a dollar store or something and painted up. The items will all be differently colored and marked for who got what. The team that has their items taken the east will get a shield for protecting the item sthe best. the team that steals the most will get a sword.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby bo1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:03 pm

Feasts- most important things first
were good dispite some complications. Izzy was never given any numbers so he came up alittle short. Rule #1 in my house " Don't show up last in the food line, you might go hungry". Lots of people got food some stragglers didn't. that happens. He did do a great job of planning everything and it came off well even if a little short.

troll-
Sets the mood for the event. Shoudl be much more than a tent. I think i will put a small castlesk structure there to welcome people. Freindly people will be there with a booklet on all the games and where and when everything is at. Also a map and lots of useful info. There was a great lack of info at troll/event. Poepleneed to know more than someone yelling unitelligably from down the way.

battles-
they did stagnate a bit, but it was really hot.
All barrels and knighting stuff should take place in the mornings or after 6 pm, so it doesn't take away from the battles. The heralds were on the field too long, i could tell they were tired of it and it was obvious that they didn't want to do it anymore. Changing up the fights is what keeps it going.
i want more 4 corners battles and attack/defend games.
preferences got old after a while so changing it up would have been a good idea. I brought a tower and i don't think ti was used once.

camping-
in the booklet there will be a list and map of who is camping where. also in the booklet will be if any camps are having a open party that night or not. A shedule of night life will also be added. The groups of campers will have a little sign if the would like people to hail and meet know poeple to the event. It is a little strange to try to meet new poeple, lets make it as inviting as possible. The best inviters will get and event prize.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Arkin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:48 pm

we are talking about arm 5, because i hear people didnt get food or atleast that much i had a lot and i went late everyday. I think diego cooked it, but who ever did, great job i loved it.
Arkin
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: SWORD and Board

Postby Cyric » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:02 pm

This thread is for arm 6, but yes, Deigo's feast had a tun of food, and if you went away hungry from that one, it was your own fault.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Thorondor » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:29 pm

Another idea for controlling the Shannanigins. I also posted this in the post geddon thoughts thread.

Tags would be given out by troll. Troll would also keep track of what tag goes to what item.

If there's a tag on it, it's in play. No tag is off limits. This will keep the people from cutting the tag off and lying about how they didn't see the tag, etc. If you number the tags at troll and keep a log, it would be next to impossible to put a tag onto an item and declare it in play if you have to get a specialized tag from troll to put ON the item.

A random numbering system would make this even more useful (no 1-100, etc) If anything, make it a simple complex number (yea, I know...simple complex, I'm tired). Day of the event, time the tag was passed out (2-1325 for the 2nd day of the event at 1:25pm). Or even Day, morning/afternoon/evening (1-3), #given out (4-305 for the 4th day of the event being the 5th tag given out that evening).

The log could look something like this:
1) Uruk-Hai banner -- tag # 1-1030
2) Horde banner -- tag # 2-1525
3) Dark Guard eye -- tag #2-1545

That way someone couldn't add their own tag after getting an item because it wouldn't be on the log at troll. They could do all they wanted to try and copy the tag design and tag #, but it would never match. This type of numbering would only work as a deterant, same with any other system we could come up with. As long as people LOOK to see if a tag is attached to the item, it would be in play. I could even see units/realms/etc making CHEAP banners to put into play while putting out their nice banners for show.

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:57 pm

How does a group tag every item they own? There should be a list of groups that's stuff is 100% off limits.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Theros the Large » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:21 pm

I think that having a game involving flags and realics would be the best way to go.

Let the people running the event make a few items for people to steal/lose/break. That way nobody will get their personal property taken.

I believe that we should have a zero tolerance policy for the taking of personal property from now on. If something like this is keeping people from coming to events than something needs to be done about it.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:49 pm

And then people that "don't want to play" simply don't except the "relics".
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Izareth » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:45 am

I think that maybe we can start out the rules for Shennanigans with something like an OUT-OF-PLAY mark. If you don't find it funny, and your guys go out and pick fights with other units who may retaliate by stealing your flag, they may think again if your flag is indicated as an out of play item by the event staff.

Something, a colored Zip tie with a laminated tag, or something equally as difficult to remove an item will indicate:

You are not retaliating against the Horde by stealing this, you are only causing a headache for event organizers, because they will be immediately informed.

You cut the owners out of the ordeal and add pressure directly from the event staff and participants. The tag makes it Event property.

Subsequently, if an item is not carrying the tag (which should be readily available from Troll, or from organizers) your item is in play. You don't mind, and if it turns up missing, you believe it will be returned unscathed (as it should be) or you believe you can go fight to bring it back.

Otherwise, stealing or property damage is against the rules of shennanigans. I was surprised to hear that the castle was not cleanable without damage when vandalized with mud. I know it's been done several times, and I had no idea. In good fun, damage should not occur.

My reason for re posting this is valid. I'll illustrate it now.

My idea listed above is not part of an overall Banner game. It is an assertion on how we can illustrate as a group that someone's property is not to be messed with. I do believe that the banner game is a separate discussion from indicators that participants can use to ward off offenders. Pretty much anything Horde has will always be in play, whatever it is. But other groups will never put their stuff in play. At an event where there is no Banner competition, we can still flag items as a service of Belegarth, just to keep stuff from being vandalized "in fun" and causing bad feelings.

It takes out guesswork.
Captain Izareth Voldranai ak ni Rered Naw
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
Viking Bastards. Your inferiority, our inspiration.
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bo1 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:27 pm

i think that everything is "out of play" axcept the flag and releic issued by troll. Poepl that don't want to play don't accept relics and flags.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:14 am

I like the idea of tagging things in play. And having event coordinators let people know in the event booklet if, as izzy says with his camp, everything or nothing is in play.

I'd get some tags, leave some stuff out, and then skewer some goblins I catch trying to steal my stuff. Which you know, is there for them to steal.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Izareth » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:15 am

Hey Jimmy, did you guys throw away the Dunharrow Cove sign?
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:26 am

Not to my knowledge. I left early because i was ill, I was gone on Friday.

I hope not, that sign rocked.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Izareth » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:53 am

I have the sign. The wood was broken, and it had been thrown away. I kept it, and I'll return it if you want to get it from me.
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:27 pm

The sign will be reborn. I'll definetly figure that out, equinox if not before.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Izareth » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:36 pm

Glad I could help.
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ora » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:10 pm

I would like to add how much two-way radios have helped out at past events. Dur-Demarion bought some to use starting at Equinox before we hosted Rag XV. We realized how much we needed them after we had to send a guy running from the Great Hall all the way down to the lake and back in search of the medic on duty when an emergency arose during the previous Beltaine.
Having radios at Troll and given to Heralds and medics, as well as those running certain areas of an event can save a lot of time.
Just be sure to have plenty of batteries on hand for them.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Theros the Large » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Wolfpack currently own at least 4 sets of 2 way radios.

They do come in very handy at events. We use them all the time at Springwars.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby bo1 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:04 am

i have a set too, i know nobody is surprised.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Ora » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:51 pm

Theros the Large wrote:Wolfpack currently own at least 4 sets of 2 way radios.
They do come in very handy at events. We use them all the time at Springwars.

Just don't let Leod use them unless you have a pan of leftover potatoes and BBQ chicken... and if Arioch goes missing, definitely DON'T give one to Wisdom ;)

Honestly though, since the price has come down considerably they're a must have at any event. (when DD bought our first four they were $65 for two!)
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Arm 6

Postby Satanaka » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:20 am

for the biggest part- if it is run by Wolfpack- the same way Spring Wars is run- it will be great.

I would add that having someone to check weapons for people that get there later in the day. That seems to happen a lot and unfair for someone that drives there- gets there at 1pm and told- sorry, weapons check is over. In the past- I know that I have volunteered to leave the field to do this to help.

Also- strict garb inforcement- no min. garb- get off field!!

We are also going to end up in some trouble with the under age drinking. Just a matter of time before something happens.

We are also gonna have a problem with all the "tricks" that are being played. Just a matter of time before it goes to far and someone calls the police.

I hope these items do not sound to harsh. I do want our Arm to be the best event- with over 500 people. I know it is a lot of work- I am glad to volunteer to help as I can if I am there.

Good luck to all next year.

Sir Satanaka
Numenor
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Legion » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:44 pm

Chiming in a little late here but oh well.

Theros has the right idea with the zero tolerance policy on pranks. Although I didn't get to attend Armageddon this year for medical reasons I talked to many people that did as well as many that didn't. One of the big reasons that people arent attending is the shenanigans. In the past, these used to be harmless pranks played on people that even the victim would laugh about. In the past few years alot of these pranks have developed into some severly malicious attacks. A strong stance has to be taken against these types of behaviors else our attendance is going to continue to fall.

All of this is linked. If people stop coming because of shennannigans then people will stop coming because of low attendance. Alot of people went to Rag this year just because they knew our weekend event and felt that they didnt want to waste their week vacation on a "smaller event".
Sir Legion Prime
Serenity
Ohio

"And I offer you this parable: Not a few who sought to drive out their devil entered into the swine themselves."

-Nietzche
Legion
Backstabber
Backstabber

Return to Past Armageddons