Combining Arm and SKBC in 2010

Threads with info from past events

Moderators: telanar, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Combining Arm and SKBC in 2010

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 pm

For those that don't know, SKBC (Sword Knight Boot Camp) is a unique event in fighting.

What is Sword Knight Boot Camp, you ask? It’s exactly what its name implies: a full weekend of training and instruction. The best fighters from all over the country – all Sword Knights – convene in one place in order to pass on their knowledge of the Amtgard fighting arts to you, the aspiring fighter. Whether you’re a seasoned veteran looking to get the edge on the younger fighters, the up and coming tournament fighter striving for that sword belt, or simply a newer player looking to delve deeper into Amtgard’s combat, this is the event for you.

The event focuses entirely on instructional classes in blocks each day of the event, supplemented by communal meals where fighters can socialize and discuss what they’ve learned and constant, 24-hour ditching where fighters can put what they’ve learned into practice. Instructor-led ditching pits the students against the masters, allowing the students to see first hand the skill of the fighters they’re learning from, and see the instruction put to work.

This last year, Melannen and Ixous both went to SKBC in Texas instead of to Spring War. The effect was disasterious, although I haven't gotten to spar much with Ixous yes, Mel learned crazy Amtgard black magic. His fighting and weapons building have both improved 200%, and he's trying very new and different things.

Melannen spoke to the coordinators while he was there, a kicked out the idea of SKBC being hosted by a Belegarth group. See, SKBC moves, each year a group puts in a bid to run SKBC. At first I assumed the word "bid" implied that money way involved, but no, it's like bidding for the Olympics to come.

SKBC '09 is being hosted in Ohio. '07 was hosted in Iowa. Are proximity is these 2 locations would count against us, I'm not sure to what degree, but Mel said they were VERY interested in a bid being put in by a bel group.

What not have a bid be put in by all of Belegarth?

In general 'Geddon should not change. Fighting, drinking, partying, all stays the same. We'd have more Amtgard guys around, but that's a BIGGER event with cross game attendance. It's been done at EQ (Or Bel?) before, and it has it's ups and downs, but we had some amt guys out at Rhun in Juneish, and they hit hard and take their hits just as well as the next guy.

We could use the smaller field for those that want to do ditching with amtgard weapons only, then the bigger field for Bel combat.

Mel has thrown down with these sword knights, but those that haven't heard some of the pro-amt buzz lately, these guys throw down, amtgard is not the * **** you got the propaganda on, in the south where a lot of these guys come from, their ditching (strip their system down to just combat) is the same as our fighting.

I think this would give us a HUGE boost in numbers, a HUGE hand shake between Amt and Bel, and a **** ROCKING event.

SKBC is run by a council called FWACK (say it out loud) and they do have some requirements. Up until we got Stonehouse, the only Bel park I knew that met them was Montey Bell. Now, Stonehouse either meets them all now, or one (needs cabins for the instructors or a close hotel) it will by the time this would happen, Arm 9 at the earliest.
Here are their requirements, and a site full of general info:
http://skbc.naropa.edu/hosting/default.asp
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Re: Combining Arm and SKBC in 2010

Postby Dane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Lit Ditch Field enough for 100 fighters on the field at one time.

Does Stonehouse have this? I didn't see the entire campsite, but I don't recall any of the fields being lit. Cabins will happen, but lighting a field is another matter. Any chance Kegg could weigh in on this?
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:24 pm

We'd be like, the 80th event to rent flood lamps, that's not that big a deal, I don't think.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kegg » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:40 pm

I have something called Power Moon available.

http://www.powermoon.de/en.php?p=english

I had it out at SpringWar.
Freedom of discussion, unaided by power, is sufficient for the propagation and protection of truth. It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. - Thomas Jefferson
Kegg

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1988

Postby Dane » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:17 am

That's cool as hell.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Physic » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:41 am

Why not make this its own separate event?
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Kegg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:19 am

Perhaps we can have them two weeks in a row.

SKBC the first weekend and Arm the second. A week of fighting for those interested.
Freedom of discussion, unaided by power, is sufficient for the propagation and protection of truth. It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. - Thomas Jefferson
Kegg

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1988

Postby bo1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:38 am

hey kegg, are you trying to kill me? 10 days of fighting, remember i am running geddon again. i would however love to do a skbc, but i think it should be a stand alone event.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:58 am

Physic wrote:Why not make this its own separate event?

Because I'm making 6 events this year, and my job wants me dead.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Derian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm going to have to jump on the "make them two events" bandwagon.

While I agree that it would be awesome to have a Belegarth sponsored SKBC, it would not be awesome to turn what is supposed to be our flagship event into something completely different.

Besides, don't they like to limit SKBC to ~150 people?
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Sir_Mel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Not necessarily. However, I agree two separate events would be better. They are both two totally different ball games (or stick games as the case may be). Where 'Geddon is real big about fighting all day, partying all night, SKBC is fighting the whole event, day and night. It would be very hard to combine the two.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Elebrim » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:39 pm

I'm going with Kegg on this one. Given the high profile of SKBC, it's an opportunity we really can't afford to miss out on.

If I understand SKBC correctly, doesn't it focus on registering for specific classes and courses of study? Then why not stagger the two into another full-week event? For example, SKBC starts out on Monday-Thursday, and Geddon runs Thursday-Sunday? Encourage Belegarth fighters to train at SKBC for the first half of the week and invite Amtgarders to stay for the fighting and festivities in the second half of the week? It would be more work to run, but we'd have Amtgard helping out as well.
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Postby Sir_Mel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:57 am

Because, we have to work around how SKBC's have been done in the past. It'd be like just tellin people that Spring wars is going to be a Mon-Thur event next year. There's people who go every year regardless of where it is and they rely on it being a weekend event in order to get the proper time off of work.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby 孙悟安 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Derian wrote:, it would not be awesome to turn what is supposed to be our flagship event into something completely different.

This would be a one time collaboration for the benefit of both sports. Arm would continue on in its usual manner after the year this "double-event" happens.
孙悟安
白脸家
孙悟安
Monkey
Monkey

Return to Past Armageddons