A Newbie's Guide to Armageddon

Threads with info from past events

Moderators: telanar, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

A Newbie's Guide to Armageddon

Postby Bohb Daishi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:51 pm

I met a random stranger about 3 weeks ago who offered to let me assault him with foam weapons. I obliged him. 8)

Since then, I have become more and more interested in Belegarth. Long story short, I am now considering attending my first event: Armageddon. But before prereg, I have a few questions:

1: If I'm not mistaken, everyone is camping there for a few days. What all will be provided? Should I bring all of my typical "camping stuff" including tent, sleeping bag, and food? Is there anything in particular that you guys recommend I bring?
**1a: Will everyone have their own campsites?
**1b: Are things like water, electricity, bathrooms, and trash cans easily accessible?
**1c: Will there be a large central bonfire, smaller decentralized fires, or both?

2: What is "Sin" :devil: night?

3: What is "Virtue" :angel: night?

4: Who or what is a "Troll" :goblin: and what what do they do?

5: Will there be anyone there selling garb or weapons?

6: What's a brief synopsis on what I should expect during the event?
**6a: Is the fighting usually free-for-all, teams, both, neither?
**6b: What goes on when we are not fighting (during morning, afternoon, night, late night/early morning)?
**6c: Will there awesome medieval music being played throughout the day?
**6d: How many people are expected to attend?
**6e: What's the typical age structure of the attendees (under 21, 21-30, 30+)?
**6f: What is the gender make-up of the attendees (50:50)?

7: What's this I hear about free booze and feasts? :eek:

If there is a particular thread detailing all of this, please guide me to it. I made an honest attempt to search for my answers before deciding to ask them directly.
Bohb Daishi
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 May 2010

Re: A Newbie's Guide to Armageddon

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:10 pm

1) If you would bring it for normal camping then it should likely come along.
a. Usually groups of like minded or geographically close people camp together but there are no real rules.
b.It depends what you mean by easily accessible. IMO it would go Yes, No Yes and Yes
c.There will likely be a number of smalle fires a few nights and one giant bonfire at least one night.

2) A party for the drinking and debauchery crowd.

3) A party for the non-drinking and debauchery crowd.

4) Troll is where you pay the event fee, get an event token and sometimes pass out after leaving Sin Night depending on who you are.

5) Edhellen Armories usually has weapons and there are often people there with garb and sundries though don't rely on it. I would recomend making or buying garb before coming to the evet. If you don't know how or don't want to make anything hop on the Medieval arts and sciences section and commision someone to make you what you want.

6)a Fighting will take many forms all of which should be apparent or will be explained beforehand. Mostly dividing into two teams and hashig it out, rinse, repeat.
b Entertainment, drinking, partying, hanging out around fires, story-telling etc.
c Are you planning on bringing a lute? If not then the answer is likely no.
d about 275
e your guess is as good as anyone else's I doubt anyone has really considered the question before. Suffice to say we get a wide age range from 16 to late 50s.
f If you're hoping to get laid you can probly forget it. Just think about how many women you know who participate in violence for amusement and extrapolate a likely ratio.

7) For the most part you are responsible for your own booze but feasts are included in the event fee.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Derian » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Also look up Xipher's guide in the New Realm Starter Kit: http://resourcestore.wordpress.com/2009 ... wrealmkit/

It has a section on eventing that will give you a pretty good rundown on events.

Oh, also read through this:

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=31272
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Bohb Daishi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Wow, thanks! I was kind of expecting the worst, but you guys provided a surprisingly quick and helpful set of responses.

Rowan wrote:2) (Sin Night is) A party for the drinking and debauchery crowd.

3) (Virtue Night is) A party for the non-drinking and debauchery crowd.

Is it possible to attend both the Sin and Virtue nights? Like, are they on separate days or will I be forced to choose?

Rowan wrote:If you're hoping to get laid you can probly forget it. Just think about how many women you know who participate in violence for amusement and extrapolate a likely ratio.

:cry: DANG! Haha, no. I was moreso wondering how sore I'm going to be after fighting. Most women I know tend to not hit nearly as hard as the men I know. Though, in their defense, women sure tend to be a heck of a lot less forgiving. :unsure:

Rowan wrote:7) For the most part you are responsible for your own booze but feasts are included in the event fee..

Now will ALL food be provided, or just the two feasts?

Derian wrote:Oh, also read through this: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=31272

Thanks! That helps a lot.
Bohb Daishi
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 May 2010

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Bohb Daishi wrote:Wow, thanks! I was kind of expecting the worst, but you guys provided a surprisingly quick and helpful set of responses.

Rowan wrote:2) (Sin Night is) A party for the drinking and debauchery crowd.

3) (Virtue Night is) A party for the non-drinking and debauchery crowd.

Is it possible to attend both the Sin and Virtue nights? Like, are they on separate days or will I be forced to choose?

Rowan isn't really correct. It's more like sin night is for the drinking and debauchery crowd and virtue night is for the non-drinking and milder mannered crowd. Adults who don't party anymore, families, that sort of thing. You can't attend both, as they are simultaneous, the idea is to provide something to do for 2 polar opposite groups. You won't even be allowed into virtue night if you are drinking or currently intoxicated, from my latest conversation on the subject.

Bohb Daishi wrote:
Rowan wrote:If you're hoping to get laid you can probly forget it. Just think about how many women you know who participate in violence for amusement and extrapolate a likely ratio.

:cry: DANG! Haha, no. I was moreso wondering how sore I'm going to be after fighting. Most women I know tend to not hit nearly as hard as the men I know. Though, in their defense, women sure tend to be a heck of a lot less forgiving. :unsure:

Leave what you know at home. While there are some women who don't hit as hard as men, there are a lot more that love to throw down hardcore, and that's why they're on the field. It's pretty obvious once you're out there who is who.

Bohb Daishi wrote:
Rowan wrote:7) For the most part you are responsible for your own booze but feasts are included in the event fee..

Now will ALL food be provided, or just the two feasts?

Just the 2 feasts. So dinner Friday night and Saturday night.

Bohb Daishi wrote:
Derian wrote:Oh, also read through this: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=31272

Thanks! That helps a lot.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Galya » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:13 am

Bohb Daishi wrote:Haha, no. I was more so wondering how sore I'm going to be after fighting.

If you stay out on the field for more than a few hours and your body isn't used to being beaten all day, you're going to be sore regardless of the gender of the people pounding you. But in relation to the actual ratio on the field, I'd wager out of the likely 150-200 people on the field at 'Geddon, probably ~30 will be women. At most. Female fighters are out there, but they just aren't that common compared to guys.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:14 am

On the topic of virtue night let me rephrase "the non-drinking and non-debauchery crowd"

I apoligize for the miscommunication.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby bo1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:14 am

yep, these people are leading you on a good path. all the info here is solid and true.

oh and if you are looking for women, belegath is just like alaska. if you go to alaska, you better bring your girl with you, anyone woth having here is taken.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Cib » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Derian wrote:Also look up Xipher's guide in the New Realm Starter Kit: http://resourcestore.wordpress.com/2009 ... wrealmkit/
It has a section on eventing that will give you a pretty good rundown on events.

Xipher's book is not included in the starter kit... I never got permission to host it (I think he wanted to finish it first?). Is this what you were referring to? http://www.tirasleen.com/documents/Compilation.pdf
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Derian » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Touche.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Peregrine » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Sorcia's Simple Camping Guide

Spring is on its way and that means the event season is getting close. This guide is a basic approach to camping at a Belegarth event. Disclaimer: This guide is not definitive and "common sense supersedes all loopholes".

I. Before the event.

Make sure you ask for time off work before the event. A month is good and make sure to remind your boss a couple of weeks before the event. Get directions to the event. The organizers will usually give you directions but it's usually a good idea to have a map of the area anyway. A simple atlas of the U.S. ($5.00 at Wal-Mart) can help you find a different route at the last minute.

Under 18? You will have to bring a notarized waiver with you to check-in. Your parents have to sign the event waiver in front of a notary so the organizers of the event know your parent(s) actually signed it. Notaries are found at banks, law offices, city halls, currency exchanges, and sometimes even libraries. If there is a fee, it’s typically no more than $5.00. You also need to have a chaperone if you come without a parent. Chaperones have to be over 18 or over 21 depending on the event. It is important that your parents know and trust your chaperone. If your parents are so inclined, they can grant temporary medical authority so your chaperone can seek medical treatment for you. As this varies from state to state, you need to contact a lawyer or medical professional to find out what’s needed. You need to show up at the event with your chaperone and they have to be onsite while you are. If they leave, you leave. If you are expelled from the event, they will need to leave with you.

Supplies. Here's part of the list of stuff veterans usually bring to events:

Tent (check that all of its parts are there before you leave home)
Tent stakes (sturdy, 8" or longer)
Mallet
Tarp (big enough to go under or over your entire tent)
Plastic boxes to store your stuff in so it doesn't get wet
Sleeping bag (appropriate for the weather)
Air mattress and air pump (should you desire comfort)
Pillow
Towel (even if showering isn't an option) (refer to The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy)
Prescription medications (keep in original packaging)
Baby wipes (trust me, they can even strip pain... yes, I've tried.)
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, women's needs, contacts, etc.)
Sunscreen (SPF 30 or better)
Bug spray (trust me, ticks suck... literally)
First aid kit (band-aids, Neosporin, pain killers, tweezers)
Mundane clothing
Garb (bring lots and lots of garb)
Socks (again bring lots and lots)
Underwear (if you're into that sort of thing)
Cloak (always have a warm cloak, even in summer)
Sturdy shoes and boots
Pouch
Mundane jacket
Set of dry clothes in a bag in the car
Cooler with lots of ice
Cooking utensils (knife, pan, spoon, grill, fuel for grill)
Food (make sure you have plenty of snack foods with you just in case)
Feast gear (plate, utensils, bowl, napkins, mug or goblet)
Can opener (never go camping without a can opener)
Trash bags
WATER!!! (Bring enough for a gallon a day per person or at least a large jug to fill onsite)
Flashlight
Batteries
Ninja chair (it sucks when you have to sit on the ground in the rain)
Cell phone
Money
Weapons (check and make repairs before you leave and bring foam and tape for repairs)
Armor
Cooking Fuel (charcoal, lighter fluid, camp lighter, propane)
Hatchet or ax
Rain Poncho
Sewing Kit
Cigarettes if you smoke
Spare keys for your car that stay with a trusted friend at the event

Weather is always a factor so you need to be prepared for anything from rain to heat to cold. Check the weather report for the area around the event a few days before you leave and pack appropriately.

Make sure someone in your group knows how to contact your family in case of emergency. If you need help on site find a marshal or an event coordinator. Some events have security that can assist you during the nighttime activities.

II. At the event.

When you arrive, your first stop is Troll. This is check-in and also the information center. As soon as you pull up, park next to Troll and get out. You will need to sign a waiver and a sign-in sheet. If you haven't pre-registered, you need to pay and then you will receive your event token. This token is your pass to the event and you need to keep it with you at all times. If you receive a parking pass, place it so it's visible in your car.

There are three rules of ettiquette for cars. Don't honk your horn on site, don't blare loud music of any type and never park in a way that others can't move their cars. These all ruin the experience of the event and the general mood of people nearby.

Now you can drive into the campsite and set up. Find a spot that isn't already reserved. Some events allow groups of ten who have pre-registered to reserve certain spots. If you're unsure, ask someone at Troll or an event coordinator. Next, be sure the site you choose is on flat ground and not where rain water might collect. There is nothing worse than your tent becoming flooded when it rains. During warm summer events, it's also good to camp in the shade so that your tent doesn't become an oven. Finally, check for toilets and your distance to the fighting field. After you set up your tent, put on garb and start having fun.

Weapons check. You must get every weapon checked prior to fighting at an event. Weapons check is usually held in the morning before fighting. Some shorter events require you to check only once and the longer events every other day. If in doubt, go to weapons check and ask. While there, watch your weapons get checked and retrieve all passed weapons immediately. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to find your weapons at the bottom of the pile. Only hang around weapons check if you are getting something checked or are helping the staff. Should a weapon fail, immediately ask why. Checkers see so many weapons that it gets really hard to remember why something failed. If you are an archer, you should get to weapons check early so your arrows can be checked. Arrows take so long that your help is greatly appreciated. Be aware that your bow also gets tested and arrive with it strung and ready to go. Weapon checkers will not string your bow. Keep archery equipment separated and be sure you put them in the right pile. Once weapons check is over, the most important thing to remember is DRINK WATER! If you're dehydrated or don't feel well you need to stop fighting and ask for help.

Marshals. Marshals are the referees of Belegarth. If they call you dead, don't argue about it. Take the death and talk to them after the fight. Arguing can get you ejected from the field. Remember, you will be back up and fighting in only a few minutes. If you hear "HOLD!" called, immediately stop moving and drop down to a knee. Keep quiet and wait until the marshals give you instructions. Only call a hold if someone is injured or a safety hazard exists. Some examples are a weapon breaks and the person doesn't realize it or you've been backed into an obstacle with no possibility of avoiding it safely. Don't call holds if you lose a contact or a weapon flies out of your hand.

After fighting, the nighttime activities begin. There are feasts, gladiator pits, bonfires, and drinking. If you are under 21, we strongly urge you not to drink. If you do and you get out of hand, you can be asked to leave the event. For anyone who drinks, I recommend you do so in moderation and drink plenty of water before bed. It's really difficult for most people to fight with a hangover. I encourage you to walk from camp to camp and meet as many people as possible. When you walk around be sure that you don't shine your flashlight right in the faces of anyone coming towards you. When you arrive at a camp, yell "Hail, camp!" If you don't get an answer, hail again. If all is quiet, move on to another camp. If there seems to be a lot of activity in a camp you approach, they may not hear you hail. If this is the case, walk up to the fire and immediately make your presence known. When you approach the main fire, you generally don't need to hail. If you make a fire in your own camp, make sure it's completely contained within the fire ring or the fire pad. Don't leave fires unattended. Firewood is sometimes available at the event but if it isn't, you can always use deadfall. NEVER CUT DOWN LIVING TREES! If there is no usable wood on site, you can buy some from a store in town.

Feast. On the nights that feasts are prepared, I recommend you wear your nicest garb and come early. Bring your own plates, utensils, napkins, and cups as they are not always provided.

III. Pack up and go home.

When you pack up, make sure to clean up your site and leave it like you found it. Take trash to the trash cans and put out any embers that may still be burning. Use the water from your coolers if needed. If you smoke, all your butts need to go in either the fire or the trash. Any left on the ground have to be picked up by the staff. When you get home, take any wet items out of the car immediately to prevent mold. Put away any leftover food and try to get some sleep.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Tails » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Bohb Daishi wrote:I . . . blah blah blah blah . . . I'm from chicago . . . blah blah blah . . . directly.

What relm do you fight with in Chicago? With Shalyn?
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby bo1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:14 pm

oh, and there are armegeddon survival guides. they tell you what is up and when it is up.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Xavier » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:54 pm

bo1 wrote:yep, these people are leading you on a good path. all the info here is solid and true.

oh and if you are looking for women, belegath is just like alaska. if you go to alaska, you better bring your girl with you, anyone woth having here is taken.

Very true..thats why I always bring my girl with me :)
Xavier Of Thunder Guard
Member of The Northern Alliance
Guard of Clan Of The Hydra
Member of Dark Hydra
Tor wrote:Belegarth is a who gives a ****, because Shut Up.
Xavier
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2006
Realm: Thunder Guard
Unit: Clan Of The Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear
Bat And Board
Red

Return to Past Armageddons