72%
No
13%
Don't Care
16%

Total votes : 32

Live chess game?

Postby Thorondor » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:01 pm

I saw on the DD site pics of a live chess game. Is there ANY plans/thoughts on having one of these at Arm?

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Ora » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:31 pm

Yeah... we at least need to see who can top these! And who can forget 'em?!

ImageImage

I think alot of people had fun with it. It'd be interesting to see who'd want to do it again.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Thorondor » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:33 am

Ora, do you have the rules for it anywhere online? Or anyone else?

Post em here if you do have them...

~?~

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ora » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:46 pm

We'd run a chess tournament one night at Rag XV. It was process of elimination... if you won, you played a player who won their game, and so on down to the last two people. Those two people played their last game on the live chess board. They tell the pieces where to move (the two people playing the game would walk around the chess board to see where their pieces needed to move).
If a piece was about to take a space, the two pieces (fighters) moved off the board and fought. Whoever won the fight took that space. The piece/fighter who lost moved off the board and the game continued. So, it wasn't just the skill of the two chess players, but the skill of the fighters on the board.

The chess board was made from a large bag of flour (completely biodegradable, the rain would wash it away, and it's easily seen at night - which is when we played). The squares for the pieces to stand were 36"x36". We had people sign up as pieces at troll. I bought really cheap black and white material and cut out tabards (no sewing, just rectangles with holes for heads). I used cardboard and cut out large stencils of the pieces and uses regular spraypaint to make the pieces on each tabard. When it was time to play, the pieces wore tabards to indicate which piece they were playing.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby fading » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:10 am

safety is reduced in the dark, but night fighting sure does sound fun
[url]
paddedsword.com[/url]
fading
Hero
Hero

Postby Ora » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:39 am

During the battles over spaces there were plenty of tiki torches used. It's not the same as fighting during the day, but safety precautions were taken... Lotek was running it and hates night fighting.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Thorondor » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:51 am

We do some night fighting anyways at events. Just small things, no huge night battles or anything. Plus, we have a decent number of heralds watching the fighting normally.

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby xiao » Mon May 10, 2004 1:46 pm

Are the fighters equiped for thier peice? Like, Pawn would get short sword/king gets a great sword/knight with heater...ect.
that would be neat
perhaps..
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Kanntin » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:57 pm

is this gonna happen at arm 4? cuss it sounds cool and i'd like to volenteer to be a pawn
where are we going and why am i in this handbasket
"someone's bumpersticker"

if LIFE gets in your way! just eat it!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/Silthen_Ru/D.gif
Kanntin
Toadie
Toadie

awesome

Postby GRIMREAPER » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:58 pm

i want to be a rook
GRIMIS (no not the purple thing from mcdonalds)
Sir fis cleanr
also referredto as can i get extra cheese for my nachos but i only want a diet pop cause im on a diet
GRIMREAPER
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thorondor » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:11 am

Hmm, not sure when it would be held, but I might do something like this at Arm. I think I'll start writing it up, see how it turns out. If anyone has the rules from when it's been done before, I would like to see them, make it easier on me.

xiao, pretty sure they are.

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby arky » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:33 am

This is from Arm III not Arm 4.
-Dark Angel-
arky
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2002
Favorite Fighting Styles: fisticuffs, thunderdomes, 12 pace duels.

Postby Thorondor » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:49 am

Not sure if it was done * Arm 3, if so, makes it all the easier for me. I was kinda sick (yes, again) during Arm 3, so I couldn't make it. If it was done * Arm 3, who liked/disliked it?

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Barahir Ingem » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:30 am

I remember playing live chess in Darkon years ago. It was a blast.

Play was directed by the King on each side. Pieces moved according to standard rules, but the capture was determined by single combat in the square. The first to be killed or knocked out of the square lost the space.

Each square was about 8 or 10 feet, so the board was pretty large.

B. of E.U.
Barahir Ingem
Langdan uin Forod

barahir@bigfoot.com
Barahir Ingem
Thug
Thug

Postby Palantir30 » Thu May 05, 2005 9:46 am

This sounds like an incredibly great idea, but I think it would suffer from the same thing the Great War did- how are you going to set teams up to be marginally equal? At least with this scenario you'd have a constant number of people to worry about (30) The chessplayers would be the Kings. There are some serious issues unresolved by the rules. If I were writing them, they'd include at least the following:

Pawns: Armorless. One blue weapon or one skirmisher's length spear (6ft or so)
Rooks: Armor counted in all hit locations whether the individual fighter has any or not. Any weapon combination except ranged, but two handers favored.
Knights: Sword and Board, fully armored up to what the fighter actually has.
Bishops: Flail (Mace/warhammer preferred) and board, no armor.
Queen: Any weapon combination including ranged Armored up to what the fiter actually has.
King*: Any weapon combination except ranged. Armored up what the fighter actually has.

En * is not allowed.

*King rules:

The two players calling the moves will play each King.

When the King initiates combat, he cannot be killed. If the King initiates combat and loses the fight, the King loses his turn and returns to the space he was in before the combat. If losing his turn places him in Checkmate, Stalemate2 rule applies.

Stalemate1 rule of 50 cumulative turns without taking a piece or forcing a checkmate still applies.

Stalemate2 rule where a King is not in Check but can make no moves which would not place him in Check, this is not a Stalemate. Opposing King chooses any of the fighters which has any of the 8 squares around the King "covered" for the King killing battle.

Checkmate: The King may not surrender to Checkmate. The King must fight against the piece holding him in Checkmate. If this is multiple pieces, then the opposing King shooses which.

I think I like Barahir's big squared board better, to fight in the actual squares. Ora's might be more logistically feasible though, 1 square meter per board square, then a 10 ft by 10 ft "fighting area" that each fighter moves to when engaged. That would certainly make for less chalk/flour/whatever.

**Optional rule: If it is Black's turn and Black chooses to attack a White peice, All Black pieces which could attack that piece this turn may participate in combat. The exception to this is if the defending piece is the King, then only one attacker is permitted.

***Question that need answering: Should or should not wounds carry over after battles?

More later if I think of more. Can you tell that I'd love to participate and/or help with the setup?
Palantir30
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Tularen » Tue May 24, 2005 12:53 pm

How do I vote !?

I vote 'yes'
Gallant of the Chimera,
Dark Guard
Tularen
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Stroggy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:19 pm