The Great War

Threads with info from past events

Moderators: telanar, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

If the Great War is run for 2 hours each day, what time would be best?

12:00 - 2:00
13%
1:00 - 3:00
51%
2:00 - 4:00
35%

Total votes : 82

The Great War

Postby Jikanta » Wed May 14, 2003 12:33 pm

There will indeed be a Great War at Armageddon this year, run of course by Kegg. The Great War is scheduled to run on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday for a couple hours each day. (Thursday is Tournament Day and Saturday is Massive Field Battles day, so no Great War on those days.)

The Great War rules will be posted here on the web board and on the Armageddon webpage as soon as Kegg emails them to me.
Jikanta
Doesn't like funny ranks given to her...

Realm: Dur-Demarion

Postby Thorondor » Wed May 14, 2003 12:59 pm

I say go with 1-3. It's after lunch time, so people won't really get hungry in the middle of it. But it's not too long after lunch so people won't get side tracked with pickup battles or anything so they won't fight in the Great War.

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Cidion » Wed May 14, 2003 4:17 pm

I picked 1 - 3. but the 2 - 4 would work just fine for me as well.
Sir Cidion the Savage, Knight of Dunharrow
Sgt. Cidion of House Dregoth and Knight of the Dregothian Knights
Knighted by Sir Luthien
Cidion
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2002
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Red Sword

Postby Legion » Wed May 14, 2003 4:38 pm

Wait a sec..I'm supposed to be in charge of great war...that is what I have been planning in the themes thread
Sir Legion Prime
Serenity
Ohio

"And I offer you this parable: Not a few who sought to drive out their devil entered into the swine themselves."

-Nietzche
Legion
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Judith » Wed May 14, 2003 5:29 pm

2-4. :)
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Crimson Fields
Southern Marches
Judith
Underling
Underling

Postby Jikanta » Thu May 15, 2003 6:32 am

Legion, you have 1 paragraph worth of theme ideas for the Great War. Kegg has an actual working rules system for Great War. So not to poop on you or your ideas, but Kegg is running Great War. If you want, you can talk to Kegg about incorporating your theme ideas into his Great War. You're already in charge of too much stuff anyway, you don't need to worry about running Great War too, it's a huge job in and of itself.

:mage:
Jikanta

Postby Kegg » Thu May 15, 2003 8:39 am

Legion, feel free to Theme away (and herald). All I really was working on was a way to balance the teams.

The Balance Method...
The Great War will be balanced by having a limited number of resurrections granted to the losing team (this will increase with multiple loses in a row). These resurrection point will be the inside each teams castle. There will be a bowl containing marbles/ball bearings/ tokens/something and a jar (narrow topped 1-gallon apple juice kind of thing). To get back in the game a ball bearing will be moved from the bowl to the jar. When the bowl is empty no more resurrections. Each team can have a gate keeper at the bowl and determine whom on the team uses the regeneration. I know this sounds discrimatory to new/poor fighters, but remember there will on be a few dozens regens for a team of 100-200 fighters, so most people will never regen.

In addition to the normal way of gain regens, by holding certain objectives (hold the bridge), retrieve the treasure chest, kill the enemy leader, certain scenarios will have bonus regenerations to be used for that battle.

Also, each team leader will have a certain number of regens to spend over the course of the day (maybe 100). These must be placed in the bowl before the battle has begun.

Finally, by winning individual events/tourneys, individuals can gain a small number of regens for their team, in addition to any other prize (bards tourney winner gets (20), assasins kill a special target (10), best costume (10), etc...). Like the team leader regens, these must be committed to the bowl before the battle has begun

Using the SpringWar GreatWar battles as an example after Numenor won the first battle decisively, Wolfpack would have gained (+15 regens), the next fight may have turned out the same (another +15 regens). Now moving to the bridge Wolfpack has (30) regens They really want to hold here so they could have spent some of there all-day regens to get to (60 total regens). Probably a win for Wolfpack. A self balancing game.

The cool thing about this is that there is massive strategy involving whom to kill (there best or worst fighters), how bold to be knowing that your side has reinforcements.

The tentative schedule I was thinking about was....

Monday... Unit battles, where units fight one another to determine the 3 best teams for Tuesday. Each team will be given enough regens to get there unit size to 50.

Tuesday... The Princess, the Treasure and the Sword Battles. Last seen at Octoberfest II and Rag XI. Three sided fights between Nobles, Pirates (or monsters) and Mercenaries. Treaure chest, * princesses, and a talking magic sword. One of my all time favorite battles.

Wednesday.... Two side team Greatwar, with the two top finishers from Tuesday being the core teams. They will recruit people to fight with them.

Thursday... tounaments.

Friday... Great War final.

Stuff at GreatWar....

Two castles..... the Numenor wood castle and 40 LARGE ROUND bale hay castle.

Large bridge... 6 large bale, 20 small bale bridge.

Woods/Fort battles (Hay bale fort in the woods).

Legion, check your private messages... I left a phone number so you can call me at work.
Kegg

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1988

Postby TinMan » Fri May 16, 2003 2:37 am

I never understood why all the good battles were so early in the morning. After a heavy night of partying it takes me a couple hours before I start fighting any good. So, I vote for 2-4.
Knight of Avalon
TinMan
Thug
Thug

Postby TinMan » Fri May 16, 2003 2:41 am

Also kegg have you thought of using half of the numenor castle for the front of both castles and hay bales for the backs? Just a thought but you can make them bigger and when the castle gets to crowded your more likely to be pushed against hay than wood. I also think it would look better.
Knight of Avalon
TinMan
Thug
Thug

Postby Jikanta » Fri May 16, 2003 8:36 am

The Numenor castle is made up of two SIDES, not a front and a back. The gap between the sides creates the doors. It would be kinda silly to make two castles with the right side out of hay and the left side out of Numenor's castle.

;)
Jikanta

Postby TinMan » Fri May 16, 2003 8:53 am

oh. Well nevermind.
Knight of Avalon
TinMan
Thug
Thug

Postby Nor » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:19 pm

I would say 1-3 because its just after noon and best time of the day really I think..... but who cares
Nor~Elf of Fury
"That Elf Chick"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodelfnor/
All My Photos...so far
Nor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 May 2002
Realm: Khazad-dum
Unit: Dark Guard
Archery

Postby liliann » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:58 pm

not that i am fighting or anything but i saw how tired the guys where getting as the day went on...and you want to make sure they are all awake and sober so i would go with 1 to 3.
liliann
Underling
Underling

Postby Thorondor » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:14 pm

And I say...BACK FROM THE DEAD YOU COME!!! :devil:

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Elwrath » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:33 am

Suck! A great war! Dang now I wish I would be there, alas for religion...oh well in a couple of years :oface:
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: EBF

Postby Borric » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:24 pm

I have 1 concern.

Great battles are fun, and the theme does make it even better, but the urge to win sometimes affect peoples judgment when it comes to hit taking. How many heralds are you planning for this event. Should their be a herald responsible for the same group of people. For example for every 30 people there is one herald who moderates only those 30....Just a thought.
Borric the Just
Knight of Numenor
Numenorian Ambassador to Muxlovia
Borric
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 21 Aug 2002
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Spear and Glaive
Archery

Postby Tobias » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:31 pm

I'm gonna go for 1-3, because from about 11 until about 12:30, I was planning on eating :angel:
If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, then study hard and be evil!
Tobias
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Owen » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:55 am

L3GiOn wrote:Wait a sec..I'm supposed to be in charge of great war...that is what I have been planning in the themes thread

Who is running Arm 3? Realm wise?
You might have thought me vain, however that is not the truth, no my friend, I see myself as more or less your equal, well from the waste up at any rate, but I am just going on what your girlfriend told me so...
Owen
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 23 Jul 1984
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Order of Tauren

Postby Pickles » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:44 am

Borric wrote: Should their be a herald responsible for the same group of people. For example for every 30 people there is one herald who moderates only those 30....Just a thought.

That's not the greatest of ideas because if they call lay on and your 30 people each go a different direction you're hosed. Even if a couple of your assigned people are turbo flankers (Like Snotbelly and Kryll for example.) Then you're gonna have to focus your attention in too many places.

Owen. Northlands is running Geddon 3.
Knight of Dunharrow

The tools to kill are always around. All depends on how much you need to work for it and how much you want it. -Scion
Pickles
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby Skeetimus Prime » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:30 pm

You guys put Legion in charge of ****... :?:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH........(Durr My name is Skeet and I like to bring dead threads back to life). ...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH........ :eek:

ok im done :angel: and I pooped my pants.

edited by Tinman for committing thread necromancy
Elite Blood Falcons
Co Founder-Team Not Suck-"We bring the bling!!"

"Because Forkbeard's the hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *."
Skeetimus Prime
King Fatty
King Fatty

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1997
Realm: Not Suck
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Shooting you in the face.

Postby A Pimp Named Kabibbles » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:25 am

if this thread is about armageddon 3 why is it in the agmageddon 4 thing? :armor1:
Mack Daddy of Khazad-Dum
Dark-Guard
"If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball" I gess I cant dodge a ball
Team Purple........*
A Pimp Named Kabibbles
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Khazad-Dum
Unit: Dark Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one were your moms feet are behind her head

Postby Galant » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:02 pm

ok well this will be my first event. what is a great war? just a war with all relms or what?
Galant
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby arky » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:20 pm

To my knoledge their will be no great war at Arm IV. This is an old thread for Arm III.
-Dark Angel-
arky
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2002
Favorite Fighting Styles: fisticuffs, thunderdomes, 12 pace duels.

Postby TinMan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:29 pm

Arky is correct, this is an old subject that was brought back to life. As far as I know there will be a Great War at SW so if you want to know more about that check out the thread in General Mayhem.
Knight of Avalon
TinMan
Thug
Thug

Return to Past Armageddons