Chili Cookoff Rules

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Chili Cookoff Rules

Postby Xooyan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:55 am

Hmmm.... I think this is the 7th Annual Chili Cookoff (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Someone deleted all the previous Chaos Wars threads, so I can't look it up (or copy over the old rules apparently). Grrrr....

Ok, onto the important points, like the actual rules, newly made up by me.

1. Chili must be home made... no canned stuff (though ingredients may come from a can if necessary).
2. Chili may be started no more than 24 hours in advance of the competition.
3. Contestants must make a batch of chili that feeds at least 8 to 10 people - larger batches are highly acceptable!
4. Chili must be at the main fire for tasting at the designated time or it will be disqualified.
5. Chili must be served au natural for judging purposes, no sour cream, cornbread or other condiments!

Judges will be selected at my discretion and must be able to cite basic references as to why they are exceptional judges of chili. The judging panel will consist of 5 judges ranging from different geographical areas and unit/realm affiliations.

Judges will be asked to judge each contestant's chili on a scale of 1-10 in 4 main categories.
1. Appearance - Does the chili look and smell appetizing? Does the judge want to eat it or do they feel they have to force it down for the sake of fairness? Does the scent wafting off the chili make the judge salivate or do they have to hold their nose to take a bite? We have had very discerning judges in the past. Make it good folks. :)
2. Flavor - Is it bean soup or is it CHILI!?! Does the blend of flavors offer something exceptional to the palate or is it boring? Is there consistency of flavor throughout or does the first bite differ dramatically from the second and third? Etc, you get the idea.
3. Heat - This is a chili contest folks. Let's see some serious power in the chili. You don't need to kill the judges with the force of pepper spray, but a winning chili should have some heat to make it strong. No?
4. Presentation - Each contestant will have the oppportunity to tell you about his or her chili prior to serving it to the judges. They should make the judges excited to try their chili. Impress us with the history of the chili, amaze us with the origins of the recipe, awe us with your culinary skill to create your own recipe, tease us with the secret ingredient.

Got it all? Awesome. Judges may begin their application process now. Be prepared to rinse your bowls between servings (it helps to have your own personal bowl cleansing *). Cleansing your palate, is up to you. :)
Xooyan of Andredesweald
Genetically Enhanced Life Form and proud of it
Xooyan

Re: Chili Cookoff Rules

Postby Sipris » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm thinking of making a chilli that's not spicy cuz I know a number of people that can't handle the spice...especially my tum tum. Yup I'm white. :) So the judging based on how spicy it is is kind of discouraging. But maybe I can make up for that in other ways...
Unit: Catalyst
House: Valkyries
Sipris
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 11 Nov 2006
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword/board, flo, archery
Pronouns: They / Them

Postby Juicer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Xooyan should let me judge because I am an excellent chili judge with experience. She of course knows this being as amazingly smart as she is. I am also very pretty, not NEARLY as distractingly beautiful as the wonderful, funny, amazing Xooyan of course. But it helps to look good when judging contests.
Zwei ap Owen wrote:Juicer sho' nuff loves tuh shuffle.

Juiceros, the Deceptron. Kwisatz Haderach Musketeer from the future
Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 Aug 2004
Realm: Babylon. Blood in blood out.
Unit: HH
Favorite Fighting Styles: Brass knucks

Postby Xooyan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:07 am

Sipris wrote:I'm thinking of making a chilli that's not spicy cuz I know a number of people that can't handle the spice...especially my tum tum. Yup I'm white. :) So the judging based on how spicy it is is kind of discouraging. But maybe I can make up for that in other ways...

I don't see the heat section as being all about a burn, but about being part of the whole flavor. Notice I mention it shouldn't be the fire of a thousand suns that makes it good, but there should be some bite. I have no doubt of your ability Sipris. :)
Xooyan of Andredesweald
Xooyan

Postby Fangesta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:16 am

I volunteer Squirrel Feathers as a judge for the cook-off, he helped judge it last year and is a great judge on flavor, texture, smell..etc.
Say it...Say it....HARRRRR
Fangesta
Mercenary
Mercenary

Realm: Highest bidder--PIRATE
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery
Florentine
Short sword

Postby Dopp » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:20 pm

I don't think Juicer should be a Judge cause the year that Xooyan and Orion didn't make it to Chaos wars I told a story about how my chili was a vegetarian chili, (even tho it was full of steak chunks) because they were the meat I used to cook my chili with. Juice then proceeded to score my chili down because it was vegetarian. which it wasn't.

And Xooyan it was me who deleted old threads outta the forum cause I hate when old topics confuse peeps. So I try to keep things up to date.
On a Life Quest.
Dopp
Warrior
Warrior

Realm: Highlands of Chaos
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Washers!

Postby Brietta » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:28 pm

I would love to volunteer as a judge. I am southern born and bred and chili is a staple of a good home down here. I know a good looking chili a mile away and love it when you walk in somewhere and just KNOW by the smell you are going to be waddling out to the car after dinner. I can take the "bite" of a 1000 suns or tricky sneaking back end flavor of a good chili.

Is there a specific application process here? I have been eating good and bad chili for 40 years...experience I got. Enthusiasm I got. I gots me own bowl even....Sign me up!
*~*~Brietta~*~*
Founder and Monarch of Donkre Vateran

When I release the pressure, you shall be dead...

not non-com really, more like medically benched archer...* it all!
Brietta
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Mar 2010
Realm: Donkre Vateran
Unit: Knights of the Dark Waters
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Oraeus » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:10 pm

so say I am to attend chaos starting on thursday.... in the rules it does not state that it must be cooked at chaos. Am i assuming that is ok as long as i do not start before 24 hours in advance. as well as presentation it does not say i have to present it myself.... is that ok as well?
Oraeus
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: archery

Postby Xooyan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 am

Oraeus wrote:so say I am to attend chaos starting on thursday.... in the rules it does not state that it must be cooked at chaos. Am i assuming that is ok as long as i do not start before 24 hours in advance. as well as presentation it does not say i have to present it myself.... is that ok as well?

We like to allow as many people to participate as possible. As long as you agree not to start more than 24 hours in advance I think this will be fine. As for the presentation, there is plenty of past precedent for others presenting the chili for you. :)
Xooyan of Andredesweald
Xooyan

Postby Xooyan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 am

Dopp wrote:I don't think Juicer should be a Judge cause the year that Xooyan and Orion didn't make it to Chaos wars I told a story about how my chili was a vegetarian chili, (even tho it was full of steak chunks) because they were the meat I used to cook my chili with. Juice then proceeded to score my chili down because it was vegetarian. which it wasn't.

And Xooyan it was me who deleted old threads outta the forum cause I hate when old topics confuse peeps. So I try to keep things up to date.

WHAT?! Juicer downgraded a chili for being vegetarian?! As a vegetarian I am instantly and radically offended! Juicer you are disqualified from judging and I am annoyed with you. >:(

Dopp - I'm only mildly annoyed that we didn't archive the old threads or something so that we can still find some of the important information in them. In the future, maybe we can move them somewhere temporarily and then delete them when they are more than a year and a half old or something like that.
Xooyan of Andredesweald
Xooyan

Postby Bortas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Just lock them.... still there for reference, but can't bump em and confuse folks either.

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Postby Magnus of the Red Hand » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:36 am

Xooyan,

I'm mot competeing in the cookoff this year, but would be honored if I could get a judges seat. I can provide refrences if you like ;)
Magnus
High Council of the Western Uruk-Hai

Before you say anything, prepare to shut the **** up.
Magnus of the Red Hand
Brute
Brute

Realm: Acheron
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword
Glaive

Return to Chaos Wars Archive