cheap weapons and sheilds in idaho

Get some new stuff or unload your old stuff.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

cheap weapons and sheilds in idaho

Postby raverbenny » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:10 am

We have started up foam smithing and are creating low to medium quality weapons (do to our iinexpirience and lack of money) so we are selling theise weapons at a very low cost to people in the boise/nampa area, if we get enough regular buyers we can improve materials and prices will be adjusted accordingly.
the material is made of open cell foam and low grade pvc (wich will change once we start getting money) the prices range from $2 for a dagger up to $30 for a tower sheild, we also have a leather smith with medium experience in making armor, medium to high quality, using fake leather at the cheaper end and real leath at the more expensive end. we cannot make any weapon 8 feet or more in legnth do to the poor quality pvc.

for information please call (208)463-1932
ask for bob for weapons and kat for armor
raverbenny
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Aug 2007

Re: cheap weapons and sheilds in idaho

Postby Korbin of Muxlovia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:26 am

Just as a tip, use Schedule 80 PVC. Some might tell you it doesn't make any difference, but in my experience and in the experience of most who have used PVC weapons, it holds up a lot better.

FYI, typically, the white stuff is Schedule 40. The grey stuff is Schedule 80. I usually use 3/4" for anything less than 60" and 1" for anything over. It also tends to flex slightly less than S40 PVC, probably because of the higher density.
Korbin of Muxlovia
Uruk-Hai Dire Wolf
"If I had a blade of keener foam-- that blue blade that the king's son weilds! But this blunt thing!"
Korbin of Muxlovia
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0-11-2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Spear/Glaive and Back-shield (Turtle!)

Postby Ralimar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:20 am

I highly suggest you study the tutorials available online for both armor and weapons. If you search, you can find links to all of them in the forums. Also, pay close attention to the rules for both in the Book of War.
It's not explicitly listed, but I can tell you that any weapon made entirely of open cell foam will fail at any event--they are delicate, have short lifespans, are generally dangerous, and shouldn't be sold for these same reasons. Additionally, fake leather products won't pass as armor in Belegarth for a number of reasons, so you should advertise them as garb at the most.
Ralimar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2099

Postby Korbin of Muxlovia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:44 am

Ralimar wrote:I highly suggest you study the tutorials available online for both armor and weapons. If you search, you can find links to all of them in the forums. Also, pay close attention to the rules for both in the Book of War.
It's not explicitly listed, but I can tell you that any weapon made entirely of open cell foam will fail at any event--they are delicate, have short lifespans, are generally dangerous, and shouldn't be sold for these same reasons. Additionally, fake leather products won't pass as armor in Belegarth for a number of reasons, so you should advertise them as garb at the most.

Oh, yeah. Ultra-ditto. Don't waste your time making stuff with open cell and faux leather, because no one will buy it. Blue foam solves all your foamsmith problems, and it's $6 a roll at Walmart. You can get a lot out of one roll. But there's really no cheap way to make armor, so I don't know what to tell you about that.

Still, you can make decent weapons with blue foam, S80 PVC, and your adhesive-of-choice. I prefer a mixture heavy duty carpet tape and Super 77, but most people like Dap. All of these things you spend like five bucks on and use it to make five or more weapons. It's not an expensive investment and it's way worth it.
Korbin of Muxlovia
Uruk-Hai Dire Wolf
"If I had a blade of keener foam-- that blue blade that the king's son weilds! But this blunt thing!"
Korbin of Muxlovia
Underling
Underling

Postby raverbenny » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:36 pm

to answer every ones replies, when we use the open cell foam, we use many layers, tight fit near the pvc and getting looser to the end, this causes an affect so when you hit, its like being hit with a pillow, we test our weapons very hard before we let them be used (hence we hit eachother as hard as we can) if it passes then we will allow them to be sold. and to the buying better supplies we are on a very, very low budget! we cannot afford the higher quality of materials, to give you an exaple is that i was only able to invest $30, wich was all my money. for us to make any number of weapons we need to use the cheapest material as possable. we have checked all our sheilds and weapons with official martials and they all said there legal. now theise weapons might not last as long, but they are cheap and affordable for those who have very little money.

now to address the fake leather thing. we have made fake leather armor for a few people already, and they have been accepted for events! we dont use the thin fake leather crap, its thickness is enough to be legal!

and thank you for the advice about reading everything, but we read everything and have even praticed a bit in making weapons, finding the best way to make our weapons as safe as possable. heck some of our weapons are even safer then some of the professionaly made weapons! were people are hurting people using the weapons that are using the best of materials, there are some of ours that no matter how hard you hit (we had our hardest hitter using one of theise) there is almost no way to hurt some one (even when hit in the face)

now we will be having a website soon for our items that will have a few pictures of the weapons we have and can make, and it will also have a price guide. and as i said before, if we can get some good money comin in, we can upgrade on our materials, but for now, this is all we can get and that is why the weapons are so cheap.
raverbenny
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Well, you're definitely 100% mistaken (or just wrong) about the fake leather thing. Faux leather can never, under any circumstances be legal armor, even if it's an inch thick.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Korbin of Muxlovia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Derian wrote:Well, you're definitely 100% mistaken (or just wrong) about the fake leather thing. Faux leather can never, under any circumstances be legal armor, even if it's an inch thick.

QFT. The weapons/armor checker that passed that piece of armor needs to be tar'd and feathered.

And the open cell foam weapons... I guess there's nothing against it as far as rules are concerned. But feeling hits makes it a problem. If you hit someone with one of those swords, are they gonna feel it through 1/4" leather (real leather, mind you) armor? And if you can, are you able to feel the core at all through the foam?

And seriously, dude, you spent your $30 on all the wrong things if you bought open cell and pleather. As stated before, $6 for a roll of blue camp foam gets you enough material for like three or four swords blue, with scrap left over. Arrakis, check my math:

Blue Foam: $6 for 72" (Walmart)
S80 PVC: 3$ for 10' (Menards)
Super 77 Sprayglue: $10 for a really big can (Menards/Home Depot)
Athletic tape: $5 for a package of three rolls (Walmart)
----------------------
Total: $24

Everything was rounded up from the prices I'm used to. And, if I'm not mistaken, 24 < 30. That's everything you need to make a decent weapon that will pass weapons check. Again, there's really no cheap route for leather armor. You've gotta have the money for that kind of thing.

I recently made five swords for $15-20 a piece. The above items, with the exception of the glue (which I already had) and an $8 roll of carpet tape in its place, was everything I spent. I made a total of $50ish in profit, just because of all the swords I got out those materials-- and I still have scrap left over! Maybe you're selling yours for less, but if you make quality weapons, you'll get more customers.

But if you already spent your $30 on open cell and pleather, I guess your probably SOL, unless you can find some people to buy them.
Korbin of Muxlovia
Uruk-Hai Dire Wolf
Korbin of Muxlovia
Underling
Underling

Postby Ryu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:57 pm

i would like to see some of your stuff, can you make it to raths practice on wed at 5 in julia davis park(the park between BSU and the zoo). i have almost 2 solid years of weapons building/checking experience and i can solve most of your problems/answer any of your questions
...you wanna fight???
Ryu
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 18 Apr 2007
Realm: Rath
Unit: Feral HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: being freaking lazy..
or sword and board

Postby Poo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:58 am

Korbin of Muxlovia wrote:Blue Foam: $6 for 72" (Walmart)
DAP: $8 for a can (Menards/Home Depot)
1 Yd Duck Cloth: $5 JoAnns
----------------------
Total: $27

Everything was rounded up from the prices I'm used to. And, if I'm not mistaken, 24 < 30. That's everything you need to make 3 decent weapons that will pass weapons check.

FTFY
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Korbin of Muxlovia » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:55 am

Poo wrote:
Korbin of Muxlovia wrote:Blue Foam: $6 for 72" (Walmart)
DAP: $8 for a can (Menards/Home Depot)
1 Yd Duck Cloth: $5 JoAnns
----------------------
Total: $27

Everything was rounded up from the prices I'm used to. And, if I'm not mistaken, 24 < 30. That's everything you need to make 3 decent weapons that will pass weapons check.

FTFY

Heh. I have a ton of heavy cloth lying around that I use for covers on weirder weapons, but for swords/maces, I just use doubled-up stockings and it works great. I haven't bought fabric for my weapons in ages, so I forgot to pencil that in there.

Still, it's <$30.
Korbin of Muxlovia
Uruk-Hai Dire Wolf
Korbin of Muxlovia
Underling
Underling

Postby raverbenny » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:50 pm

im sorry, but we build weapons to be cheap for people who do not have money to be spenting $30-100 for a basic weapon! we bought cheap matierial so that we can make CHEAP weapons! all our weapons are 100% legal and on most of them you cant even come close to feeling the core! like i said before, we test theise weapons very criticly, and if theres the smallest thing wrong, we fix it, the only problem with the weapons that there should be is if some one wacks it against a hard object like a phone pole or a rock. now im going to talk to some more people about the leather thing, but for now, im going to be making a new thread for this becuase with all ur guyses nay-saying, i doubt any one is gunna give us a call (and btw, we have about 5 people intrested in weapons, so i thing were havin a good start)
and to reply about the cost of pvc, when we bought S40 it costed more then that, and that blue foam i saw no were at walmart.
raverbenny
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Korbin of Muxlovia » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:00 pm

raverbenny wrote:im sorry, but we build weapons to be cheap for people who do not have money to be spenting $30-100 for a basic weapon! we bought cheap matierial so that we can make CHEAP weapons! all our weapons are 100% legal and on most of them you cant even come close to feeling the core! like i said before, we test theise weapons very criticly, and if theres the smallest thing wrong, we fix it, the only problem with the weapons that there should be is if some one wacks it against a hard object like a phone pole or a rock. now im going to talk to some more people about the leather thing, but for now, im going to be making a new thread for this becuase with all ur guyses nay-saying, i doubt any one is gunna give us a call (and btw, we have about 5 people intrested in weapons, so i thing were havin a good start)
and to reply about the cost of pvc, when we bought S40 it costed more then that, and that blue foam i saw no were at walmart.

~.~ Okay. And don't worry, I won't bother your new thread.
Korbin of Muxlovia
Uruk-Hai Dire Wolf
Korbin of Muxlovia
Underling
Underling

Postby Poo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:02 am

Maybe you'd have some luck on http://www.foamsmiths.com
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Arrakis » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:48 am

Math checks out.

I can build 5 30 inch swords from less than 30 dollars worth of materials. That's 6 dollars a sword. And I'm talking PVC, Bluefoam, DAP, and hockey tape, with a good strong, sewn cloth cover. Don't take shortcuts and don't try to use sub-par materials (I've never even heard of an all-open cell sword passing check). And for that matter, generally speaking, don't try to sell to others until you get good at it.

Also, S40 PVC (fine for 32" swords) is 1.65 for a 10' stick at Lowes. And yeah, pleather is NEVER armor and you need BADLY to reread the BoW.

I'm kind of sick of people complaining that they're too poor to afford blue foam. How old are you?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:57 pm

I strongly suggest adding pics to your other thread. You will both get more people interested in what you offer and be less likely to get people complaining that what they received wasn't what they expected.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Rasheab » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:57 am

... I'm confused. Open cell, at least in my experience, is not inexpensive. What are you using that is cheaper than Walmart blue foam?

(Not even going to get into the "cheap materials, lack of experience, sold to poor people" thing.) But I will second the tar 'n feathering of the marshal who let fake leather get past (or tarring these people, for taking advantage of a marshal's trust to get it passed).
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby Korbin of Muxlovia » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 am

Rasheab wrote:... I'm confused. Open cell, at least in my experience, is not inexpensive. What are you using that is cheaper than Walmart blue foam?

(Not even going to get into the "cheap materials, lack of experience, sold to poor people" thing.) But I will second the tar 'n feathering of the marshal who let fake leather get past (or tarring these people, for taking advantage of a marshal's trust to get it passed).

QFT. That hadn't occurred to me.

Also, I've got the tar and the feathers. Just give me a name.
Korbin of Muxlovia
Uruk-Hai Dire Wolf
Korbin of Muxlovia
Underling
Underling

Postby Nykas » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:36 pm

Pity I didn't get in touch with you guys earlier. You should take the guy from Rath up on the offer of talking to an expert; and Jonell and I are going this afternoon to check Rath out. We could probably have picked you guys up. :( And, I don't want to spoil your new thread, but I will personally show you where the cheap pvc is, and the blue foam, if we can get together sometime. Didn't realize that was a problem. The trick is: get the stuff for electrical, not for water. Much cheaper, and works great (under $2 for 10').

If you guys don't see this, I'll talk to you tonight, I guess....
Nykas
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Glaive.

Postby Black Cat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 pm

Wes wrote:The trick is: get the stuff for electrical, not for water. Much cheaper, and works great (under $2 for 10').

QFT
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Kasada » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Wes wrote:The trick is: get the stuff for electrical, not for water. Much cheaper, and works great (under $2 for 10').

Actually, it's about the same price. But it does work a lot better. Fiberglass works even better than that though... if you're in the Boise/Nampa area, there's a D&B Supply in Caldwell that carries it.
May you find a twist in your road.
Kasada
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 30 Jul 2008

Postby raverbenny » Sat May 09, 2009 8:51 pm

ok just so ppl stop posting on this, im announcing that we got some one who whent out with $100 and got a bunch of stuff like blue foam, fiberglass cores (wich cost the same, if not less the pvc), DAP, the 77 glus stuff, and we already had cloth. and to answer the open cell thing, i have sorces in wich i can get it for a whole crap load for real cheap. i will be making a new thread or our new high quality weapons
raverbenny
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Rasheab » Sun May 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Bucko, no one has posted in this thread for two weeks. Your the one bringing it back from the dead.

However, when I saw your screen name in New Members, it really bugged me, because I couldn't remember why I recognized it. At least now I'm reminded.

raverbenny wrote:our new higher quality weapons

Fixed. Half is materials, other half is talent and/or practice.
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade