Seeking Inexpensive Armor

Get some new stuff or unload your old stuff.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Seeking Inexpensive Armor

Postby denendir » Thu May 14, 2009 11:47 pm

I have started to find out that fighting without armor is almost pointless. Simply because you get hit, you die. There is a reason Armor is allowed and I am seeking some if I am to continue to play that and I have finance problems :( .

If you have any ideas or such. Email me: Rowanfighter@yahoo.com

I am not on here but like once a week. So get ahold of me and lemme know.
denendir
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Dec 2007
Realm: Kanthea
Unit: UTC
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Sword
Duel Sword
Polearm and Buckler

Re: Seeking Inexpensive Armor

Postby Black Cat » Fri May 15, 2009 12:10 am

There's no such thing as inexpensive passing Belegarth armor. Even 'cheap' armor costs >$100 for decent coverage, and that is if you're willing to make the stuff yourself.

It sounds like you're having the exact same problem on the field I'm having. If you really can't get a shot in before you get hit no matter what you try to do, then armor isn't going to help much and isn't worth the money and time investment. You just have to practice a lot and get better at blocking, parrying, and dodging. Make sure you get help with techniques from experienced fighters when you practice. If you can't get better no matter how much you practice or how many veterans you spar, then this game might not be for you.

I guess you could also try archery, which is a great way to get at least one hit in before you get ganked as long as you have good eyesight. Only problem with that is, guess what. KA-CHING! Archery gear is as expensive to get and maintain as armor is. Sad, but true. That's why I didn't get to arch at Yestare this year.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby denendir » Fri May 15, 2009 12:16 am

I do have archery gear, cost me 120 bucks total for 12 arrows and also a 35 lb longbow. Wasnt bad at all.

But the armor I am mainly looking to get is a helm and grieves. Any ideas or anyone got prices? This is just a start. Cause I have bracers and am working on a chestpiece myself as well as pauldrons.
denendir
Recruit
Recruit

Duel Sword
Polearm and Buckler

Postby Black Cat » Fri May 15, 2009 12:21 am

Your budget must be a lot higher than what I thought it was. What price range of armor are you looking for?

As a sidenote: If you aren't already, you should still try fighting without armor at practices. If you wear armor too much, you will tend to rely on it too much and it will become a crutch in your fighting style.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby denendir » Fri May 15, 2009 12:25 am

between 1 and 2 hundred is the middle range. Though Im looking to pay in installments. I may get paid every week for the work i do, but everyong has bills. Though this is my budget range im looking to getting into :).
denendir
Recruit
Recruit

Duel Sword
Polearm and Buckler

Postby Black Cat » Fri May 15, 2009 12:37 am

In that case, Enderonimus could probably make you something. He specializes in Bel-legal leather helms. I don't see any contact info, but if you send him a PM, he should see it and get back to you.

Edit: (how did I forget about this?) Forkbeard knows how to make both greaves and helms, as well as full suits of armor. He does a great job with armoring. Go to this thread to see the kind of work he does and for contact info.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Fri May 15, 2009 6:01 am

Most people don't wear armor and do alright. Try working with local vets to improve your game, watching the excellent vids in the Fighter Skill Development Forum, and doing slow/pell work at home.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Sir Anastasia » Fri May 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Also remember that you won't be better than the people on the field who have been fighting for 10 years during your first month of fighting. Be patient, it takes time to get better. Some of us will be working on it for the rest of our lives. However, I do feel for you with this armor thing. If your vets have 10 years on you AND armor, it will feel pretty one-sided for a while. On the bright side, if they are wearing it all the time, obviously they think they need it. If you can be the person who learns to fight without it, after you save up for your own armor, the rewards of patience and training will be yours. Spar the best people in your realm every time you can get a hold of them. Develop good HONOR now, don't raise the bar for sufficient force when you get discouraged by losing. This way, when you are beating everyone else, you will be doing it with finesse and class. Only the best fighters with great HONOR are remembered. Good fighters with lousy honor are remembered as *.

Good Luck,
AoC
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Claymore » Fri May 15, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm with the others on this one. Armor does not make a bad fighter good. In fact, armor will slow your movements and exaust you quicker. And non-restricting armor such brig and chain will not dampen the blows.
Those who would sacrifice liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Claymore
Backstabber
Backstabber

Favorite Fighting Styles: English and Itailian longsword
German Flamberge

Postby Kharn » Fri May 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Many of the best fighters in the sport wear no armor at all, and as people have hinted at, armor can make a fighter worse. On multiple occasions I've spoken with fighters who stopped fighting with their armor because they felt their skills were becoming atrophied as they became increasingly reliant on their armor.

There's nothing wrong with armor, but it tends to be highly overrated. While I've given thought to various pieces of armor, the only thing I really want is a helm for national events.
Kharn
Underling
Underling

Favorite Fighting Styles: Foot and shield edge

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri May 15, 2009 10:35 pm

... and remember, against a double-handed red or double-handed green weapon, armor doesn't even give you that extra hit.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Cib » Sat May 16, 2009 11:28 am

Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Claymore » Sat May 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:... and remember, against a double-handed red or double-handed green weapon, armor doesn't even give you that extra hit.

This may not sound like a big thing, but it is. There are definetly different types of fighting. Mostly, its sword and board, redsword, or polearm.(Sword and board being any one handed weapon) On the field, you might have a small advantage againts a person using sword and bord, but you are at a disadvantage to the guy with the glaive behind him. Also, in larger battles, archers seem to love picking on polearms and armored units.

As for smaller battles, your biggest enemy is the * sword. Two handed and fast as hell, your armor will just slow you down. Almost eveyone in my group has one of these making armor relativly worthless.

if you want to experiment, I suggest you borrow a suit for a few battles, maybe buy a set of bracers or spaulders to see how often it actually saves you.
Those who would sacrifice liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Claymore
Backstabber
Backstabber

Favorite Fighting Styles: English and Itailian longsword
German Flamberge

Postby denendir » Sat May 16, 2009 12:52 pm

For the Grieves is that 45.00 for the whole thing? Or is it the 70.00???
denendir
Recruit
Recruit

Duel Sword
Polearm and Buckler

Postby Arrakis » Sat May 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Make a note (journal in your belt, on the sidelines, whatever) of each place you get hit with a blue or green shot when it happens. Figure out what armor pieces will be most useful for you.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun May 17, 2009 9:33 am

The first time I met Ender (who makes armor), I was surprised how little gear he wears when he practices.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby raverbenny » Mon May 18, 2009 1:45 pm

i only find it useful to have a single bracer for the off hand do to my fighting style. i use sword and bord with a red on my back. when i loose my sheild i will block once with my bracer to try and finish him and then bring out my red. as every one here said, armor is over rated, it only helps me get one kill, and thats with the minimum amount of armor. and about the commants, arrows are easy and cheap to make. i made 10 arrows for $30 and they are 100% legal. and when using a bow i would suggest getting somthing to keep the string from hitting youre are (it sucks)
raverbenny
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Aug 2007

Postby Poo » Mon May 18, 2009 1:49 pm

raverbenny wrote:i only find it useful to have a single bracer for the off hand do to my fighting style. i use sword and bord with a red on my back. when i loose my sheild i will block once with my bracer to try and finish him and then bring out my red. as every one here said, armor is over rated, it only helps me get one kill, and thats with the minimum amount of armor. and about the commants, arrows are easy and cheap to make. i made 10 arrows for $30 and they are 100% legal. and when using a bow i would suggest getting somthing to keep the string from hitting youre are (it sucks)

Get a buckler.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby raverbenny » Thu May 21, 2009 2:01 pm

planning on making one >.> but im keeping the bracer, its still a little bit usfull :)
raverbenny
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Aug 2007

Postby Theros the Large » Thu May 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Also remember that you won't be better than the people on the field who have been fighting for 10 years during your first month of fighting. Be patient, it takes time to get better. Some of us will be working on it for the rest of our lives. However, I do feel for you with this armor thing. If your vets have 10 years on you AND armor, it will feel pretty one-sided for a while. On the bright side, if they are wearing it all the time, obviously they think they need it. If you can be the person who learns to fight without it, after you save up for your own armor, the rewards of patience and training will be yours. Spar the best people in your realm every time you can get a hold of them. Develop good HONOR now, don't raise the bar for sufficient force when you get discouraged by losing. This way, when you are beating everyone else, you will be doing it with finesse and class. Only the best fighters with great HONOR are remembered. Good fighters with lousy honor are remembered as *.

Good Luck,
AoC

Wow...

That was very well said. I agree completely with the sentiments expressed in Anastasia's post. There is an incredibly steep learning curve involved with this game. It takes a lot of patience and practice to achieve a high level of competence in your fighting.

Find the best fighters to spar with as often as you can. When a vet beats you into the ground find them after the fight and ask them how they beat you. Most of the higher caliber fighters will be more than happy to give you a few moments of their time to show you a trick or two.

Here are a few things that will greatly improve your fighting.

Work on your footwork. Seriously...
Having good footwork is worth at least a full suit of armor on the field. I reccomend looking up how to do something called "Spot Drills". They are an excercise where you have a number (usually 9) dots placed on the floor in a three by three pattern. You place your feet on the dots and rapidly switch them from dot to dot. It did wonders for my footwork back when I played football years ago.

Do everything you can to improve your wrist and forearm strength.
The ability to do quick snap shots and tightly control your shot placement will give you an edge. Several of our vets have some great forearm excercises that they do to help with this.

Find a fighting style that is comfortable for you and stick to it.
This is not to say that you can never learn how to fight with different weapons. This is a suggestion to fully learn one fighting style FIRST. Concentrating on one particular style will give you a chance to focus on the nuances of that style, thus giving your training a parameter and achievable scope.

Set goals.
Keep track of your fights. Make a list of good fighters that you want to learn from and get to know them at an event. For example...Make yourself fight at least 10 good veterans every day at an event. Ask them for advice and to spar with you. Like I said earlier, most of the vets will be more than happy to show you some things while they slap you around a bit. It really is the best way to learn.

I honestly wouldn't bother with getting a full set of armor yet. If you do want to wear a bit of armor for events and such don't call armor when your sparring people. Pretend that your not even wearing it. The best way to track your improvement is to see how well you survive when your not wearing any armor.

One final point...

Don't get discouraged. It sometimes takes a while for a person to get in the groove of this stick swinging thing. Make sure to be honorable in your hit taking. Be very aware of where shots are actually hitting you and take them appropriately. A reputation for good hit taking is one of the most prized things you can have in Belegarth while a reputation for cheating is incredibly difficult to live down.

Good luck in your pursuit of fighting excellence.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade