Handmade Rope Beds *Pictures now included*

Get some new stuff or unload your old stuff.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Handmade Rope Beds *Pictures now included*

Postby Karion D'Learive » Fri May 29, 2009 8:06 pm

So a few weeks ago my wife and I decided that we no longer liked Air Beds. They never stay inflated, were generally cold and a complete pain the * to setup and keep filled with air. So we decided to look around at other options, the first being a cot, problem with doing that was we never really could find one big enough for the two of us. My wife then stumbled upon a rope bed design.

We just completed out first one, and we love it. Its sturdy, comfortable and breaks down fairly well. These types of beds were used in medieval times, fairly common actually. So to those that love having period, and authentic things while you're at an event, this would be for you.

My question to everyone here, is who all would be interested in buying one of these and what might you be willing to pay. The bed design is fully customizable, it can be whatever length you want, whatever width you want, how high off the ground you want, the whole thing can be custom built to what you want.

I will get some pictures of our creation up in a couple of days.
Last edited by Karion D'Learive on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karion D'Learive
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 1997
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Re: Handmade Rope Beds

Postby Karion D'Learive » Fri May 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Pictures of our bed. Forgive the size of the photos, they were taken with the only camera i have, my phone.

Here are a few pics. The entire album of pictures i took is located here: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll1/ ... pe%20Beds/

Completed and put together:

All the pieces laid out:

The leg joints:

Weaving the bed together:

Bear in mind, this is not complete. We still have a fair amount of finish work to do, including rounding all the edges and painting/staining. We just got this put together so we can have it by WoF. Anyone who orders a one of these from us, will have theirs fully completed.
Last edited by Karion D'Learive on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Karion D'Learive
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Bortas » Sat May 30, 2009 8:40 am

Rope beds are awesome. Air mattresses rock too, just have to find a quality one that stays inflated, and put a blanket on the matress between it and you to keep it from freezing you out.

Rope bed + air mattress = comforts of home.

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Postby Kasada » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:41 pm

This sounds amazing, but I'd like to see pics first. Your location helps a lot too (I hate messing with shipping, and I know some people that are probably going to Chaos Wars).

For the record, if I get one, it'll probably need to be between 7'6" and 8' at least (I'm 6'6") and around 6' wide.
May you find a twist in your road.
Kasada
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 30 Jul 2008

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Wow Bort, that's great stuff, when you get some pics up I may have one made for Juniper and I.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Karion D'Learive » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Soo, i assume you meant me, Bortas isnt making the beds, myself and my wife are.

If your orders got to me soon enough, i could very easily have these ready by Chaos Wars.

And ill get some pics up tonight, so you can see what ours looks like.
Karion D'Learive
Gladiator
Gladiator

Re: Handmade Rope Beds *Pictures now included*

Postby Karion D'Learive » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:56 pm

Without incurring insanely huge shopping costs, your chance to get one of these made prior to Chaos Wars 13 is running out as i need time to make it.

As long as i have orders in by the last weekend of this month i can have your bed ready for you to sleep on at Chaos Wars 13.

If not i would need to ship it to you, and then you are looking at incurring the shipping costs.

There are a number of other events i will be attending this year as well, sadly though, i will not be attending any of the eastern events.
Karion D'Learive
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:51 pm

So sorry Karion, so how much are we talking for one of those bad boys. I wouldn't mind sleeping in a bed for once at an event.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby HesinRaca » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Is there a reason the rope needs to be woven? What if you jsut did top to bottom and then left to right over the top? Would the rope stay in place or seperate? Cause if you can do it that way, you wouldn't have to undo the entire thing, just loosen it, roll the boards up in their respective ropes, and pack it away...
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Karion D'Learive » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:54 pm

The ropes woven so the bed is both more sturdy construction wise, and more comformatable to lie on. If the ropes were just run side to side and top and bottom, you would be lying on one set of ropes and i think it would create huge gaps and be incredibly uncomfortable.

Soo - The price is really based on how big you want the bed to be. You would need to send me what size bed you wanted in a pm and i can let you know the cost.
Karion D'Learive
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby HesinRaca » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:58 pm

Karion D'Learive wrote:The ropes woven so the bed is both more sturdy construction wise, and more comformatable to lie on. If the ropes were just run side to side and top and bottom, you would be lying on one set of ropes and i think it would create huge gaps and be incredibly uncomfortable.

Soo - The price is really based on how big you want the bed to be. You would need to send me what size bed you wanted in a pm and i can let you know the cost.

I wanted to think I was being crafty, but I knew deep down inside that you were going to say that. Good to know though;)
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Drackonius » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:42 pm

do you have an estimate on how much weight one of these can support?
That's Dracko to you!

The Beast is caged...for now.....

Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulfur is like an endurance trial. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in......next to soccer.
Drackonius
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Favorite Fighting Styles: red sword
sword and board

Postby Karion D'Learive » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:23 pm

the bed in the above pictures has at least a 500lbs capacity if not more. The bed can also be constructed differently, using a different hole pattern, different ropes and such to allow for a larger holding capacity
Karion D'Learive
Gladiator
Gladiator

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade