I, too, have armor and other goodies for sale!

Get some new stuff or unload your old stuff.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

I, too, have armor and other goodies for sale!

Postby FrankManic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 am

Check out my Etsy store, folks!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7660731

It is full of stuff that is wonderful and magical and made from dead cows.
FrankManic
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Jun 2002
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Picoseconds
Favorite Fighting Styles: Pointy end goes in the other man.

Re: I, too, have armor and other goodies for sale!

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Most of your armor would fail, I think, for appearing to be armor in places it isn't.

Not bad looking, though.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FrankManic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Arrakis wrote:Most of your armor would fail, I think, for appearing to be armor in places it isn't.

Not bad looking, though.

Passed at Rag! Though that might have been oversight on the checkers part.

One of these days, though, someone needs to come up with a uniform and complete standard for armoring in larps and combat sports. The stuff up there right now wasn't designed specifically for bel or dag, it just happens to be of appropriate thickness on the kick plate. Stay tuned for more Belegarth oriented offerings.
FrankManic
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:32 pm

The most widely regarded standard for "real" mock combat leather armor is 12-15+ oz. Even the SCA allows 15 oz unhardened for non-required (cops, helm, gorget, gaunts, kidneys). Hardened 12-15 will pass in every system I've ever heard of that uses less than live steel.

I just meant that your greaves is not supposed to be armor on the sides; that is, it can't block leg shots from the sides (which is where you get hit in the legs the most often), but I imagine * near everyone wearing them would be calling shots to the thinner parts "armor".
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FrankManic » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Arrakis wrote:The most widely regarded standard for "real" mock combat leather armor is 12-15+ oz. Even the SCA allows 15 oz unhardened for non-required (cops, helm, gorget, gaunts, kidneys). Hardened 12-15 will pass in every system I've ever heard of that uses less than live steel.

I just meant that your greaves is not supposed to be armor on the sides; that is, it can't block leg shots from the sides (which is where you get hit in the legs the most often), but I imagine * near everyone wearing them would be calling shots to the thinner parts "armor".

Then they are, quite simply, cheating.

I looked over the rules, and while it states that armor must be clearly distinguishable as such in order to offer in game protection, there is no requirement that garb be clearly distinguishable from armor, nor than leather is forbidden as a material for construction of garb. As always it is the responsibility of the player to make determinations about where and how he has been hit. The armor listed there counts as armor on the front plates bordered by rivets, having a total combined thickness of 3/16s or more across the entire surface. The rest of it is simply to hold the greave properly in place on the leg, and it is the duty of the wearer to acknowledge hits to those portions of the greave as having struck an unarmored surface.

... By the by, I'm quite certain the SCA allows you to go screaming naked into battle if you so desire, provided you have an appropriate helm, gorget, cops, and kidney protection.
FrankManic
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Chicken » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:15 pm

First off, I like your armor, especially the foot plate! It's a nice little touch - I've been thinking of adding some kind of sabbatons to my next greaves as well.

Rules wise, unlike Dag, Bel has this rule:
The BoW wrote:3.3.3. Armor must be of a size to cover a significant portion (approximately one-third) of a Target Area. Armor extending continuously from another Target Area is not required to significantly cover neighboring Target Areas to count as Armor.

Ironically, to get really rules lawyery, the way the rules are written if the foot plate were a little larger it would negate the issue.

Unfortunately, the problem isn't just whether the wearer will call their shots correctly, but also whether their opponents will assume that the whole greave is armor, not just the part along the shin, and adjust their shot selection accordingly. The rules are certainly vague at best on this point, leaning more towards nonexistant, but most head heralds wouldn't let you wear failing armor as garb for exactly that reason.

Be sure to post when you add more!
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Poo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:45 am

Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher