WTB-crusader style helm.....

Get some new stuff or unload your old stuff.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

WTB-crusader style helm.....

Postby D-9-13 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Not sure who makes em' how much, or how fast, but would love to get one made, Nothing super fancy, pretty simple, small and light. Hoping for an early top helm/face plate transitional style, not a full great helmet. Black or even non-dyed, padded or even strapped. i can do some of the smaller stuff but would much rather leave the real shaping, eye slits, breathes etc. to a pro! :armor6:
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Re: WTB-crusader style helm.....

Postby Oisin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:30 pm

You might want to ask on the Armour Archives, but remember that anything of that sort will not be legal in Belegarth unless at least significant portions of it are leather. A kettle or conical nasal helm would also be perfectly appropriate for the full period of the Crusades.

If you do check the Archives, though, you'll want to be specific that you're looking for a reenactment helm NOT an SCA legal helm, and you'll probably want 16 gauge steel not the 12 or 14 that are standard for SCA armourers.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby D-9-13 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Oisin wrote:You might want to ask on the Armour Archives, but remember that anything of that sort will not be legal in Belegarth unless at least significant portions of it are leather. A kettle or conical nasal helm would also be perfectly appropriate for the full period of the Crusades.

If you do check the Archives, though, you'll want to be specific that you're looking for a reenactment helm NOT an SCA legal helm, and you'll probably want 16 gauge steel not the 12 or 14 that are standard for SCA armourers.

Thanks Oisin, but yeah, all leather Bel version only, no steel. I'll check there, haven't heard much yet and can't seem to find anything that looks quality in all leather online anywhere...I know some people have made some pretty sick all leather versions in eh past though...
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Postby Oisin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Looking for leather, it's probably not the best place. You might get lucky, but most people on the Archives tend to deal in real armour.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby D-9-13 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:23 pm

I've fund that to be true too. I get a lot of my SCA stuff there, but don't look to the archive much for Leather helms...
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Postby Oisin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Of course, those helms do tend to be of exceedingly simple design. You could probably make one yourself out of a good, stiff leather (and then harden it to keep its shape) with minimal effort. Their pattern database doesn't have an early full face helm like you want (only about three greathelm patterns . . .), but I'm sure there's on on the internet somewhere.

I take it you're trying for late 12th c.? A pot helm would be incredibly easy to make . . .
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby D-9-13 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Oisin wrote:Of course, those helms do tend to be of exceedingly simple design. You could probably make one yourself out of a good, stiff leather (and then harden it to keep its shape) with minimal effort. Their pattern database doesn't have an early full face helm like you want (only about three greathelm patterns . . .), but I'm sure there's on on the internet somewhere.

I take it you're trying for late 12th c.? A pot helm would be incredibly easy to make . . .

Your dead on Oisin..late 12th century, before the real advent of the "great helm" or pot helm, sort of that "even simpler" faceplate/top helm transition, lightweight, exposed neck area (worm with a mail coif beneath, etc) hence my hoping to find someone who can make one. Picture a Great helm with less "back of the neck coverage..."
I am sure its not that hard really, but time is not on my side right now, and I would love to commission someone much better than me to make such a simple helm, thinking a real master could probably make it look like a work of art, especially since I am hoping to get one made without a chin strap, padding, etc, just a shell really.
So if anyone knows of anyone taking commissions on a real simple helm, with a few small embelishments, I would love to find out who could take an order...
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Postby Oisin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am

Yeah, we're thinking the exact same thing, just terms are different. I call that a pot helm, I think some use the German term, topfhelm? But that might actually be a true great helm also, the terms are all so non-specific.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby D-9-13 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:55 am

Yeah, unfortunately the only stuff I have seen pre-made is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HELMET-Leather-MEDI ... 3137wt_941

And Im hoping for something a little closer to this:

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-2 ... elmet.aspx

But in Bel-legal leather of course.....
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Postby debuenzo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:32 am

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=31275

that's my leather greathelm thread
You can clearly see the template in the pics, but I can email it to you if you like.
It's a full helm, but it could be easily modified to suit your needs.
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby D-9-13 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:00 am

debuenzo wrote:http://board.belegarth.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=31275

that's my leather greathelm thread
You can clearly see the template in the pics, but I can email it to you if you like.
It's a full helm, but it could be easily modified to suit your needs.

Thanks for that Debuenzo, that is sick looking. No worries, I think the template visible is going working great. I am working on it now actually, so thanks a million for sharing that. I was going to have Forkbeard make me one of his works of art, but with some recent car repairs and other mundane crap, it has turned out to be easier to give it a go myself...I'll try posting some pics to the forum when I am finished, likely wont look as nice as yours but your thread is my inspiration so thank you!!!
D-9-13
Underling
Underling

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade