Yestare- Shield Blanks

Get some new stuff or unload your old stuff.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Yestare- Shield Blanks

Postby Loptr » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:46 pm

My contact got a couple sheets of foam.

I told him to hold off on cutting anything out until we knew what was in demand.

What is needed Rounds, teardrops, heaters, barn (****) doors?

I expect there will be a donation from the profits to the event.

Loptr
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Re: Yestare- Shield Blanks

Postby Fitz Caliston » Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Hello Bel peeps,

I am Loptr's "Shield Blank Guy". I'll be a Yestare Saturday morning with Shield Blanks in tow. (I have to be back in SLC by 2pm that day which means I have to leave by 1pm.)

As Loptr mentioned I'm holding off on cutting the foam out until I see if there are any specific demands.

If you have a specfic size let me know. I had a 30% price increase on this batch of foam from the last time I purchased a few months ago, Poly resin increases are hitting the market hard right now.

Anyhow, I got a sheet of the 2 inch 2.2lb white and a sheet of the 2 inch 1.5lb light blue and then he threw in some 1.5 black in 1 inch thickness at his scrap price.

I normally build my shields with the handles inset into the 2inch and then cover the outer area with a skin of the 1inch (for a total of 3 inches) which generally keeps them from taco-ing.

Below is a list of the size/cost for the 2 inch thick white 2.2lb. Subtract $5 for the lighter blue in the same size/thickness, and 1/3 of the cost of the white for the size in the 1 inch (round down to the nearest dollar cause I hate making change).

Standard Sizes (because I can sell them to either Bel or Amtgarders):

23inch rounds-$20
30inch round- $30
2ftx3ft Heaters-$35
2ftx4ft towers-$40

If you have a size request that is different then the above post a question for me and I'll figure it out. My plan is to cut out blanks thrusday/friday next week before the event.

I'll also have some Omniblades similar to Loptr's WLS sticks for sell time permitting, and possibly some flatblades (depends on my Supplier of heavy duty cores, they've been out for awhile).

And yes, I'll be throwing a kickback to the event, thanks for having me!

Fitz Caliston
Caliston Armory

PS I also make custom covers and inset grips so let me know (no guarentees that I'd be able to make the covers ahead of time but there is a chance):
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032698&id=1528670113&l=97b53ff563
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 1999
Realm: SLC UT
Unit: Gryphter

Postby Kraesh » Wed May 05, 2010 5:29 pm

If I come I would like to get a couple teardrops of both the 2 inch 2.2# and the 1 inch thick stuff. The teardrops are going to be 36" high and 28" wide at the widest point. Pretty much like [url]these[/url], how much would you say for all of it put together?

Also, where do you live? I would like to know so I could possibly order some covers for the shields later on.

Thanks,
-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Postby Fitz Caliston » Wed May 05, 2010 8:06 pm

That would fall really close to the Heater Size I do, so $35 for a 2inch thick 2.2lb + $11 for the 1inch to match (that'll make a 3 inch thick shield)

I'm in Salt Lake.

Are you looking for just a plain cover or do you want a symbol appliqued on it?
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Kraesh » Thu May 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Fitz Caliston wrote:That would fall really close to the Heater Size I do, so $35 for a 2inch thick 2.2lb + $11 for the 1inch to match (that'll make a 3 inch thick shield)

I'm in Salt Lake.

Are you looking for just a plain cover or do you want a symbol appliqued on it?

I was thinking of having my insignia put on it. I don't know if I'd be able to afford it with the $92 for of two shield blanks that I'll be seeing about getting hold of from you.

How much do you normally charge for a shield cover and would there be any extra charge for putting my insignia on it?

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Fitz Caliston » Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Each cover is custom and first depends on the cost of the material. I charge $15 per hour for sewing/applique.

For a shield cover with that symbol I'd charge roughly $50-$60, breakdown below:

As a rule I only use Target broad cloth for shield covers if I go get the materials myself because it is first extremely durable and second makes the sewing/applique time much eazier/faster.

Target is $7ish a yard. Would take 2 yards of base color and half a yard of the color for the symbol. Additional materials are thread the color of the symbol ($7) and 1 roll steam a seam ($7ish).

That symbol would take me about 1-2hrs max depending on size (including sewing the cover.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Kraesh » Thu May 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Yeah, probably not sometime soon then. I'm an unemployed high school student and money is hard to come by.

So, plan for 4 shield blanks. 2 teardrops of both the 2" 2.2# and 1" 1.5#. So, $92 if I'm correct? Just to make sure.

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Fitz Caliston » Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Sure thing, I'll verify your order thursday before cutting it out just to make sure nothing's changed.

Oh and if you have access to a sewing machine and want to try to make your own cover here is a link to my tutorial on making fitted shield covers:

http://www.theriversend.com/uploads/Fitz__Fitted_Shield_Cover_Tutorial.pdf

You can access alot of my other tutorials on my groups front page at http://www.theriversend.com

I do charge for my time to craft stuff +materials but I teach for free and believe in open book methods.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Fitz Caliston » Sat May 08, 2010 7:57 pm

How acceptable is Plastidip shields use at Yestare?

I've got one that I'd like to bring up and use/test/sell, small center punch.

Made it this last week as an experiment and had Breeder, Wenlock and a few of the other heavy hitters at my park pound on it for a while without any effect to it. (granted I didn't have them shield kick it)

23 inch diamter:

Has my standard 2.2lb plank for core with my standard center grip, edged in 2lb MC crosslink.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Cedric » Tue May 11, 2010 6:44 am

please bring the PD shield, i am sure it will pass, and I want to get a better look at one.
My favorite color is beer.
Always folow the gospel of Cedric, or ye shall be damned.
Cedric

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1993
Realm: Ebonhold
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Postby Fitz Caliston » Tue May 11, 2010 9:12 am

I'll definately bring it then.

After asking Breeder to pound on it with Wenlocks new Bel flats I'm wishing I'd have done 2 things differently. 1, made it a Strap shield, and 2 made it an Amt medium round instead of a small. But for Proof of concept I think it turned out rather well.

I'm looking forward to making more, granted with as expensive as it gets to cover one of these in PD and all the other materials I'm not sure how often I'll be making one just for the heck of it. Ya definately want to edge it in EVA/MC cross link at least. Else the edge will feel like a grinding wheel and I doubt any group would pass it.

Right now I have 1 medium on commision to Micheal (Mhog). That I am looking forward to making.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Fitz Caliston » Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Looks like I'll be down friday afternoon with some shield blanks for those interested. Saturday plans got complicated, there is still a chance that I'll make if for Saturday morning as well but I'm not positive at this point.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade