Armor Question (Clarification)

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Armor Question (Clarification)

Postby Aerhok » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:51 am

We had a question that came up about the exact nature of what is "armored" and "unarmored". I have made for myself a leather bracer that covers from my wrist to just below the elbow. Then, I have a large leather pauldron that covers to my middle bicep. There is a 6" area (my elbow) that is not covered by leather. Now, is my arm "armored" or "unarmored"?

3.3.2. Armor only protects areas covered.
-This rule makes it sound like my elbow is vulnerable. But... if we have hit location specific rules, then why cant heavier armors add more protection? Or why cant platemail give you additional hits?

3.3.3. Armor must be of a size to cover a significant portion (approximately one-third) of a Target Area. Armor extending continuously from another Target Area is not required to significantly cover neighboring Target Areas to count as Armor.
-This rule states that armor has to cover at least a good portion of a target area. Ok, makes sense. So then, is it armored, or unarmored?

3.3.4. Weapons that strike both Armored and unarmored Target Areas are considered to have hit the unarmored Target Area.
-Target Area is defined as "Head, Chest, Legs, Arms, Hands, and Feet. Nowhere is elbow, knee, stomach, neck, flank, calf, forearm or any other specific location is mentioned.

3.3.5. The presence of Armor must be easily discernable to count as Armor.
- Obviously. So if the presence is significant, then it should count, correct?

So my dilemma is this... Can shots that hit my bracer and elbow take my arm in one hit? I was under the impression that a "Target Area" was either "Armored" (of significant size) or "Unarmored" (not significant size) to speed up gameplay. If a shot to an unarmored elbow takes a "significantly armored Target Area" in one hit, doesn't that contradict the rule for keeping armor simple? If the arm can be taken like this (and we have rules that are this detailed and picky, why cant we have rules for "Heavy Armor" or "Stacking Armor" or platemail? Am I correct in assuming that a Target Area is either Armored, or not, to speed up gameplay?
Aerhok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Raccoon » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:36 pm

Basically armor covers EXACTLY what it covers. Any portion of your body does not have armor directly over it then it is UNARMORED. Anything that would hit the elbow with sufficient force would take the arm.
Unless it simultaneously hit your torso with sufficient force as per rules 3.4.4 & 3.4.5
3.4.4. A hit that strikes both the Body and either an Arm or a Leg is assumed to have hit the Body.
3.4.5. A single strike can only damage one Target Area.
Elbow, knee, stomach, neck, flank, calf, forearm are not there because you don't get a seperate hit nor are the seperate rules for any of those locations.
Raccoon
Venerable Librarian
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Self Declared King of Ohio
Avalon
Raccoon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 18 Mar 1997
Realm: Avalon
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Anything I am using at the time