Oh great idea, maybe...

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Oh great idea, maybe...

Postby Dreevous » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:06 am

I was brainstorming how i wanted my new glaive to look. Measuring how long and what not.

When it O'curd to me what if i made a glaive, but put a flail head at the end, would that be a leagal weapon, and what about the effectiveness?

Any ideas?
better known as: * Waffle

Guardsman to House Dregoth
Dreevous
Monkey
Monkey

Re: Oh great idea, maybe...

Postby Kyrax » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:36 am

White Raven of Ravenspire wrote:I was brainstorming how i wanted my new glaive to look. Measuring how long and what not.

When it O'curd to me what if i made a glaive, but put a flail head at the end, would that be a leagal weapon, and what about the effectiveness?

Old idea, but still not a successful one. Brainstorming can be a great tool, but in this case you came up with one that has been brought up before in almost every variation - "Hey, I could add a flail ball onto this weapon (Axe, sword, spear, glaive, etc.) - and then I would have another striking surface."

The problems start with the fact that a flail, by definition strikes with the ball only. So everything else that is a part of that weapon is now haft padding, including the glaive blade and stabbing tip. The second problem for a glaive weilder is that the weapon is now Class I only (flails cannot be Class II or III).

So my advice would be to run your great ideas by the FAQ (it is posted here somewhere). There are a ton of answers to questions like this in there. Then I'd say build yourself a glaive and have fun with it, or build a flail and have fun with that, or do both. Though fighting florentine with glaive and flail has got to be tough.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Cyric » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:38 am

Realm wise, it would depend on your rules. Nationally, there are no red fails. Your flail would have to be blue nationally, and the max length of flails is 40 inches. Wolfpack has red flail rules, but i don't remember them off the top of my head.

Use wise, it would probably suck. you wouldn't have a ton of control.

All in all, it's fine locally.

EDIT- I didn't catch the part about a glaive and a flail together. that's probably a lot less legal.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Obryn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:06 pm

Glaive + Flail = read the experimental weapons FAQ. :)

For 'pack's red flails, we have a minimum length of 4' haft, with a head measuring minimally 18" length x 15" circumference.
Keeper Obryn Stoneshield
Chaplain - Brotherhood of the Falcon
Obryn
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Kyrax » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:30 pm

Oops, yeah, Cyric is right that your local realm could decide to allow you to play with such a thing. But at larger events, it won't pass.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Return to Rules Questions