Legal helm...???

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Legal helm...???

Postby V-Hil » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:07 am

Hi there,
I just recently ordered a helmet online and it looks very similar to this picture
I plan to grind the nasal guard to be penny round. My question is "Will the top of the helm be legal?" I don't see any rules stating that is should be illegal. Galin tells me it's illegal, but I would like other opinions. I think he considers the top of the helm a "protrusion" but I consider the nasal guard a protusion. It is conical and rounded, but not quite penny round. The crease at the very top is probably about 40 degrees. It isn't a sharp edge of steel, but two plates welded (I think) together. Would the crease fail due to this rule:

3.1.8.3. The radius of any rigid metal corner must be greater than the radius of a penny.
Warlord V'Hil of the Uruk-Hai!
V-Hil
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 15 Jul 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Uruk-Hai and Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tanked-out Sword and Shield
Tanked-out Spear
Leading my Troops

Postby Winfang » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:10 am

I've been considering purchasing a similar helm. I would say it's legal if you rounded the nasal guard.

The protrusion rule is one that is hardly enforced. I feel it there to keep rivets and pieces of armor that point away from the body at a reasonable level to prevent them from destroying weapons or harming a person. The main thing is interrputing the rule with safety of the fighters in mind and I don't feel that the crease of the helm is a safety issuse or would cause excessive damage to a weapon.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Kyrax » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:29 am

I agree with 'Fang.

The cone is fairly pointed, and that would be the area I'm concerned about most and is probably what Galin doesn't like. If I had a preference, the point would be broader. But in the end, I'd pass the helm assuming that the nasal and the strip of trim around the bottom edge met the penny round rules.

If I had a norse character, that would be a sweet helmet.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Return to Rules Questions