blocking with spears/glaives

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

blocking with spears/glaives

Postby otherial » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:28 pm

are you able to block with the shaft? just curious. and what are specifics on it if you can?
otherial
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2005
Realm: None yet.
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Hander all the way.

Postby Kyrax » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:23 pm

Yes you can block weapons or deflect javelins with a polearm shaft. But you should not block people or limbs with the unpadded part of the shaft (which on a Class III only spear can be fairly large).

The key is to use common sense - blocking a sword blow with your spear is no different than blocking it with a sword. Just prevent the weapon from hitting you, and don't whack your opponent unsafely (no headshots, no hitting with a non-striking surface, etc.).

I have even used a spear to cross-check a charging shieldman. You know what I mean, holding the shaft diagonally across your body and use it to push against their shield. But you have to be careful to not check too high on the shield or it will pivot and put your haft in their face - and that is ILLEGAL. I learned very quickly to cross-check low enought that the shaft hits the shield below where their arm is - if you hit above, you'll smack them in the face. This is probably an issue with punch-gripped shields, so be careful cross-checking them.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Return to Rules Questions