Grappling:

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Grappling:

Postby Digoza » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:02 pm

Alright, so, I know there's grappling involved with Combat club, and there's rules for it based on armor and whether or not you're an archer, but my question is: How exactly does grappling work? Is it wrestling, or is there something else involved? I've never seen anyone do it at practice.

Thanks,
Digoza
Digoza
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 08 Jul 2005
Realm: Wolfpack of the High Plains
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Dagger

Postby Kyrian » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:34 pm

Digoza,

Grappling is basically high school wrestling--no joint or nerve locks. One of the more common situations is for one fighter to grab another fighter and hold his sword arm while he has others kill the other fighter. Another situation happens when two fighters are wrestling for one weapon. A fighter may try to pin down the other fighter's arms while trying to grab the weapon.

The type of armor worn determines who a fighter may initiate a grapple with:

-A person with no armor or no plastic protective gear (such as kneepads or a cup) may initiate a grapple with anyone.
-A person wearing leather armor may initiate with someone wearing plastic protective gear, leather, chain or plate armor.
-A person wearing chain may initiate a grapple with someone wearing chain or plate.
-A person wearing plate may not initiate a grapple.
-A person with a bow or arrows may not be grappled or initiate a grapple.

Hope this helps,

Kyrian

P.S. If you have any other questions, we can talk about it on Sunday.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Kyrax » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:54 am

Kyrian has all of the rules right, but the essence of grappling is in the first two sentences.

I'd rephrase it a little to make sure that the point is made: grappling in this game doesn't kill people - it just sets them up so that you or someone else can kill or wound them. In a way it is like blocking in Football - blocking doesn't score points, but it prevents your enemy from scoring and it can help your side score.

I hope that made sense - it seemed to before I got started.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Return to Rules Questions