Plastic or not

Plastic/alluminium
4%
Keep period materials
96%

Total votes : 116

Armor?

Postby varadin » Sun May 04, 2003 6:59 pm

Ok in the kingdom of Pentwyvern there is talk about allowing plastic and ALuminium armor. Mind giving me your thoughts on it.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Tren » Sun May 04, 2003 7:32 pm

I think you should keep it period materials, I've worn a chain shirt made of only aluminum, it's like a feather, before you'd know it you'd have everyone running around in aluminum hauberks because it's cheap, light, and easy. And even if it comes last, this sport is still about realism, and real armor was not easy to wear.
To Err is Human,
To Arr is Pirate

ImageImage
Tren
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Sonus » Sun May 04, 2003 9:00 pm

Period, it just makes the game more real. I wouldn't mind aluminum greaves or bracers though....
Sonus
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn

Postby Derian » Sun May 04, 2003 9:06 pm

Keep it period. Otherwise, you'd get **** like brigadine made out of lightswitch covers on pleather backing.

*shudder*
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Ivan Rockbreaker » Mon May 05, 2003 2:12 am

I like the idea of plastic armor. In SCA they let you wear what ever as lona as it LOOKS period. Kidex is awsome and works very very well. I think something to keep in mind when addressing the realinsm issue is that all the weapons are very light compared to their real life counterparts.
It may take a village to raise a child, but it takes a viking to raze a village.
Ivan Rockbreaker
Underling
Underling

Ick...

Postby V-Hil » Mon May 05, 2003 8:30 am

This sports weapon are already getting lighter and lighter. If a person wants to wear armor and reap its benefits, they should have to suffer at least a small bit with the added weight, slowed movement and all the other disadvantages of wearing armor.
Warlord V'Hil of the Uruk-Hai!
V-Hil
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 15 Jul 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Uruk-Hai and Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tanked-out Sword and Shield
Tanked-out Spear
Leading my Troops

Postby Winfang » Mon May 05, 2003 8:31 am

So that what's your persona name is. And all along I really thought it was Mini-Teppick or Teppick Jr.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Gonf » Mon May 05, 2003 8:51 am

I can see aluminum armour being worked into the game on the basis of replica mithril, but as for using it on the battlefield, I'd say nah'..

-Gonf
Gonf
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cidion » Mon May 05, 2003 10:04 am

Please keep it period materials. I can see how the door could be opened to other arguements later.
Sir Cidion the Savage, Knight of Dunharrow
Sgt. Cidion of House Dregoth and Knight of the Dregothian Knights
Knighted by Sir Luthien
Cidion
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2002
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Red Sword

Postby Sphinx » Mon May 05, 2003 10:54 am

I must agree with everyone else, keep it in period. I view battleguard as a kind of reenactment society as well as a fighting sport. When reenacting something, you want to keep it as realistic as possible ne? I know some people down here have worn plastic sports equipment, but they don't count it as armor. They're wearing it for their own safety.
Sphinx = I WIN!
Sphinx
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Mercer » Mon May 05, 2003 11:13 am

Opening it up to cheap knockoffs is a slippery slope, at the end of which lies one of the prime problems with NERO (besides tap-fighting and cheesed-out magic).

Keep it period. Otherwise, you'd get **** like brigadine made out of lightswitch covers on pleather backing.

Seen it, fought against it, barely restrained my urge to set the twit on fire...
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby varadin » Mon May 05, 2003 2:14 pm

Winfang wrote:So that what's your persona name is. And all along I really thought it was Mini-Teppick or Teppick Jr.

once again i am put back into my place....

let me expand. Of what i understand the "ugly" rule would be very much in effect. And since we only have about 3 members with armor on anymore on a regular bases. Supposable its experemental along with some other rules we are changing. Im not in charge i just wanted to see what out of Kingdomders thought about it.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Raban » Mon May 05, 2003 3:29 pm

Armor must remain period metals. The reason that we have always had this rules are as follows.

First, armor is not required. To compare us to the SCA, saying that the SCA allows such types of armor is a non valid point. You can not fight in the SCA without armor. We do not require armor to fight, that is why they allow platic armor.

Second, the battle system of this game has never been fantacy based. It is based on real combat. I will not comment on the light weapons let me just say that Mitril Chain never was real armor. It is fake, it is imaginary, and should never be allowed.

The fantasy part of this sport is in persona creation. It is not in the battle rules. This is a sport. Even in "professional" sports they have limits on what is allowed for some things are just "cheesy" to allow into a sport. I personally want to fight skill to skill on the field and not have to worry about those "cheesy" items that people use because they cannot handle reality.
Lord Raban (Shadow) "The Jerk"

"You Fail!"
Raban
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1994
Realm: Highlands of Chaos

Postby fading » Mon May 05, 2003 3:58 pm

hehe mithril is period?
fading
Hero
Hero

Postby bahamunt » Mon May 05, 2003 4:03 pm

but then again mithril isnt real...
bahamunt
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon May 05, 2003 4:40 pm

Well said Raban.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Gonf » Mon May 05, 2003 4:51 pm

I was referring to using mithril like armour for some scenario that would be used to recreate one of Tolkien's many battles, but using it in an actual fight is just cheap..

-Gonf
Gonf
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Ora » Mon May 05, 2003 5:03 pm

Aluminum is pretty, but isn't it a bit too soft and pliable to make battlefield sustainable armor? Plastic underneath armor I can see, but making armor out of plastic is just cheesy.
I'd say keep it all as close to period as possible.
If any of you have ever read, or even seen the movie Lord of the Rings you'd know that mithril is Moria-silver and silver is a very period material... get with the program. ;)
It would be interesting to see an all silver suit of maile... expensive as hell!
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Poeir » Mon May 05, 2003 5:06 pm

Well, instead of aluminum, you could use carbon fiber... It's extremely light and stronger than steel. Of course, it will cost a fortune. So it's a lot like mithril.
Fighting since September 30, 2001
I'm not not a member of the SDC...
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby varadin » Mon May 05, 2003 5:13 pm

OHHH A carbon fiber breast plate they should allow that on coolness factor.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ora » Mon May 05, 2003 7:18 pm

Guys... carbon fiber is a synthetic material... silver is very much a natural material. How can there be a comparison between the two?
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby varadin » Mon May 05, 2003 7:21 pm

true but carbonfiber is still jsut * cool
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ora » Mon May 05, 2003 7:30 pm

Well, hell... if we're going on coolness factor, let's just throw in titanium!
Let's face it... almost everyone in this sport is all for having armor being somewhat cumbersome and a hinderance to the wearer for it to count as armor. Although there are some people who have armor that is not quite as hindering as it looks, it is still made within the rules system of our sport and so it is allowed. There is a give and take to armor.... the give, you get one extra hit before you lose a limb or take death... the take is you're hindered a bit more than an unarmored person.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pentwyvern has chosen to abstain from being Belegarth or Dagorhir, so whatever they choose to do they're doing within their own rules system.
IMHO using aluminum and/or plastic as armor is still just cheesy.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby varadin » Mon May 05, 2003 7:38 pm

DUDE that would just be plain sweet
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sir Killian » Tue May 06, 2003 2:23 am

im going to repeat a few things others have said so bare with me

1. SCA does require armor... not all kingdoms allow pickle barrel armor... and the ones that do are laughed at...

2. we are not a tap fighting 100% fantasy based game...were only 50% fantasy based...

3. everyone would have armor...

4. SCA doesnt allow light metals such as aluminum or silver or easily maleable metals...

5. did i mention everyone would have armor....

6. armor is something to work on and take pride in wearing... if you allow non period things this destroys that special perk...

7. WAHHHH armor is expensive i cant afford it... STFU and get a job you lazy, cheap *... it cost 25 dollars for a spool of chain and 100 dollars approx. for a hide of leather..... so start saving your money and buy the materials....

in short allowing non period materials is dumb......
this is foam fighting .... we pad the weapons not the fighter.... if you want that extra hit it will cost ya.....

and if i saw armor like i see at an amtgard field on our field id be forced to quit the sport and go play golf.... or something

killian
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby Owen » Tue May 06, 2003 6:12 am

Yes well I agree that only "period metals" should be used, I know I have a problem with Stainless steel, because of that rule and yet it has been known to be used in the Aratari. Whne ever I use to bring t up basicly I was yelled down because of it, even if at the time it was not legal something about it looking good on the feild bugger that I say!

IMO only period metals should be used.
You might have thought me vain, however that is not the truth, no my friend, I see myself as more or less your equal, well from the waste up at any rate, but I am just going on what your girlfriend told me so...
Owen
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 23 Jul 1984
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Order of Tauren

Postby Elebrim » Tue May 06, 2003 12:21 pm

I can understand if it is only a part of the overall armor, but having everything in your armor made entirely out of non-period materials is really dumb. It does defeat the purpose of the whole set up. However, no one has mentioned pleather yet. . . :roll:
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Postby Eoric of the Riddermark » Tue May 06, 2003 3:20 pm

Please don't turn Belegarth into a LARP-like cheesefest populated by plastic-clad paladins and aluminum-clad amazons.

That's all I have to say about that...
"All civilisations owe their origins to the warrior..." - John Keegan, A History of Warfare
Eoric of the Riddermark
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Cidion » Tue May 06, 2003 3:47 pm

Please don't turn Belegarth into a LARP-like cheesefest populated by plastic-clad paladins and aluminum-clad amazons.

That's all I have to say about that...

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
hehe :P
Sir Cidion the Savage, Knight of Dunharrow
Sgt. Cidion of House Dregoth and Knight of the Dregothian Knights
Knighted by Sir Luthien
Cidion
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2002
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: House Dregoth
Red Sword

Postby The Lost Celt » Tue May 06, 2003 9:26 pm

For those of you who were speculating about aluminum being used in the SCA do a websearch for "Metallurgy for Stickjocks" - Aircraft aluminum is used a lot along with "street sign aluminum" - Hell, I know a guy who squired under a jousting troupe for 5 years and every suit of armor he helped build was made of the stuff.

Of course you have people that hate plastic and aluminum and even stainless in the SCA but a quick question would be if everyone is assumed to be armored is there a difference in the amount of strikes a person may recieve before he or she takes a "killing blow?" Protection is obviously more of an issue and if there isn't any advantage conferred than I suppose it would be more acceptable? I think this is probably the biggest difference in attitude between armor types in foamfighting and SCA - That and the risk of heat exhaustion is a bit higher in a full kit :)

Personally I wouldn't mind plastic being used more often - under 3/16 leather. I've once heard someone say "Foamfighting is more dangerous than SCA" and I tend to agree with them because of the lack of armor. People assume that because a big stick is padded it's not going to hurt them, but cores fail and sometimes even break. Some players take more risks because of the assumption "Big padded stick isn't going to hurt me"... We all know the crazy ones ;) I've been putting it off but I really want to go for a gorget and some mitten gauntlets after some fo the stuff I've read on this board plus my own * getting hit in interesting places.

I'd like to consider alternate materials but with the extra advantage, the fact that armor isn't required to play, and the simple truth that we can't all afford it or even desire it probably make the whole issue a pandoras box that shouldn't be opened.

That and I really don't want to see a guy with pop-tab lammalar armor, I just ran across a pattern for that last week... Amtgard, big surprise.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Sir Gheldar » Thu May 08, 2003 8:47 pm

We are still trying to recreate a semi authentic/fantasy form of ground combat. If you wish to use armor you must bare the weight! I'm all for keeping period materials only.
~Sir Gheldar~
Sir Gheldar
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 7-1985
Realm: Middle Earth
Unit: Knights of Hyborea

Postby Visgoth the Barbarian » Fri May 09, 2003 4:42 pm

period metals. In real combat a plastic or alumnum would cut like the casing on a sausage under any blade other than like a dagger. and anyway you would look like an * in anything other that period
~Vae Victus!~(suffering to the conquered)

"I think I felt a tremor of delight when she said these words, Let the flesh instruct the mind."- Louis, Interview With The Vampire
Visgoth the Barbarian
Underling
Underling

Postby Forkbeard » Fri May 09, 2003 7:09 pm

I feel that our armour aceptance standards should be based on how armor looks and works, rather than materials. There are a lot of people in "leagal armor" that look like ****. They only get passed because the rules are so vauge. Many, many people in the sca and other serious combat sports use plastic armour that not only protects them more than enough, it looks almost perfect. That pickle barrel crap that everyone is afriad of shouldn't be leagal anywhere.
My 2 bits,
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Beorn Tordensjold » Sat May 10, 2003 8:57 am

Someone I know made a piece of 8 in 1 maille out of 14 ga. standard aluminium wire, and showed it to me back in the day whren Ered Duath was still Battleguard, for the question of alternate materials for armor. I promptly pulled out my pocketknife and cut the piece in half. I think that that ended that discussion pretty quick.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with some alternate materials (particularly stainless or titanium), but I think that they would have to be able to function at least as well. Pickle barrel (Smurf) armor is plain ugly, but it works for what it was intended for, heavy SCA combat, which can be extremely injurious. Our form of fighting doesn't tend to be injurious (not like SCA injuries) and so ugly armor or not, plastic isn't NECESSARY for this. For that matter, no armor is really necessary.
We don't need to use plastic. Aluminium just isn't strong enough for use, in my opinion. It has to be so thick, that it isn't practical. Sure, you can get road signs and do armor out of that, but if you thought that pickle barrel armor was ugly...
Viking bastards: We're not laughing with you.

Proud owner of one Tor point. So far.

Beorn, Ravensmoon Replicas
http://ravensmoon.com
Beorn Tordensjold
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Andrek » Sun May 11, 2003 3:33 am

Beorn :( I thought that the stop breast plate was a good idea. It kept safe warriors at bay :D . I agree that only period materials should be used. You are forced to do up keep on it and I don't like the light side of medieval reinactment at all. Very bad for manlyness. We don't require armor because our weapons are so safe. Have you ever been hit by a bamboo stick? You need to protect everything! I say we stick with the rules!
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 5- 0-1994
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Silver Dragons

Postby Sir Killian » Sun May 11, 2003 9:58 pm

you cant hate on ugly armor....

then how will horde be allowed to wear armor???
Defender of the Steins

Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Thorondor » Sun May 11, 2003 10:23 pm

I think that stainless steel shouldn't be a problem. It has the weight of steel, but it's nice and shiny, so it looks good on the field. It just looks like new galvy, but it never darkens.

:monkey:
~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Sir Killian » Sun May 11, 2003 10:36 pm

but it isnt period.... durr.. its all bout the tetanus.... DURRRRR
Defender of the Steins

Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Thorondor » Sun May 11, 2003 10:54 pm

Killian,

If you want to get technical, galvy isn't period either. If it has the weight, I don't have a problem with it.

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Sir Killian » Mon May 12, 2003 12:01 am

fine then dont use galvanized steel....

i use veg tanned leather..... cant get much more period then leather....
Defender of the Steins

Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Andrek » Mon May 12, 2003 1:11 am

Killian wrote:fine then dont use galvanized steel....

I see your point. What other wire can I buy, and where to make chain?
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Eoric of the Riddermark » Mon May 12, 2003 11:54 am

Wait a sec. Isn't galvanized steel just steel with tin in it (or coating it) for rust-resistance? If so, I will have to check, but I'm fairly sure I've read about medieval armourers tinning steel for that same purpose...
"All civilisations owe their origins to the warrior..." - John Keegan, A History of Warfare
Eoric of the Riddermark
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Seiichiro » Mon May 12, 2003 12:15 pm

I think galvanized steel is coated with zinc to protect it. That's why you don't burn it. The zinc gets into the air and into the lungs and that's just bad news. Beyond that, it's still basically iron and carbon.
- Akiyama Seiichiro Mitsusada

Renci de Shangdi, qing dai wo zou
Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou
Seiichiro
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Beorn Tordensjold » Mon May 12, 2003 1:37 pm

Zinc plated steel is not a new concept at all. It's been done for a LOOOONG time. Feel free to use galvanized wire for chainmaille. Tin can also be used for the same purpose. Besides, you wear it for a while and you lose all of your zinc electroplating anyway, so who cares?

Beorn Tordensjold
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Andrek » Tue May 13, 2003 2:23 am

Well if Beorn says its okay then it must be. I retract my previous statement.
Sir Andrek-
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Elerosse » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:34 pm

if you want light armor go with leather, i ordered some from by-the-sword and its expensive but hey at least it works
Elerosse
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lookin' Pretty

Real?

Postby Emerson Bridges » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:55 pm

I think SOME modern materials should be allowed.

For start our weapons aren't period. We know they aren't near the weight of real weapons. Most of the time everything used to make our weapons isn't period.

But for some reason there is an attitude that our armor should be pretty good replicas of real medieval armor. I ask myself "why?". I think the answer is because everyone wants armor to be a disadvantage and an advantage and we want to be taken seriously by other people. With modern materials everyone is worried about people wearing armor that doesn't have the innate disadvantage that period materials have and we won't be taken seriously.

I think we should keep minimium thickness requirements. But I think we should ADD to our requirements but allow some modern materials. We can add weight requirements(based on a formula because of different sizes). We can add materials easily cut with a knife aren't allowed. Also armor should APPEAR to be period.
Emerson Bridges
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Eoric of the Riddermark » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:24 pm

My question is: why do we need to incorporate non-period elements in our armour? We make our weapons the way we do so we don't kill each other, and since we allow shield-bashing we require padding on shields. But what reason(s) do we have to worry ourselves with non-period armours?
Eoric of the Riddermark
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Andrek » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:00 am

Lets face it, you just wouldn't feel as cool walking into Wal-Mart in plastic armor... but Leather and Steel just give braging rights.
Sir Andrek-
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Beorn Tordensjold » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:47 am

What Eoric said. We just don't NEED armor in this. Groups like the SCA require armor, so the rules got loosened up to allow non period materials to make it less expensive for the average fighter. You can get plastic barrels from a car wash, sometimes for free. If we ever required armor, I would be the first one to lobby for non period materials, since it can get really expensive, really fast.

Andrek, Chain wire can be had at IFA in Provo, for about $3.00 for a 1/2 mile spool. It is electric fence wire, ask for that. And walking into Wally world wearing your outfit... Oh yeah. Fun stuff. But it looks dumb if it has ARMOR ALL stamped into your chest...

By-The-Sword does have leather armor... But so do many places, if you just want to buy it versus make it. For that matter, we have leather armor!

Beorn Tordensjold
Berserker
Berserker

Next

Return to Rules Questions