Plastic or not

Plastic/alluminium
4%
Keep period materials
96%

Total votes : 116

So?

Postby Emerson Bridges » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:32 pm

I'm not worried about $$ but rather durability. Modern materials can make armor more durable, easier to make and easier to take care of. I mean having stainless steel buckles saves me lots of pain.

Arguments seem to boil down too. We don't have a compeling reason to use modern materials. There are reasons, they just don't appear to be powerful ones. We can get around every single arguement offered against modern materials. So there appears to be no reason not too.

However, I have no personal interest invested in having modern materials in armor. I have made my armor period and have plans for more period armor.

I just think people are being close minded.
Emerson Bridges
Monkey
Monkey

Postby The Claw » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:55 pm

I think we should keep it period and make sure it looks good and works good.
HA! HA! HA!
The Claw
Underling
Underling

Postby Elerosse » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:40 pm

Beorn Tordensjold wrote:By-The-Sword does have leather armor... But so do many places, if you just want to buy it versus make it. For that matter, we have leather armor!

I might just have to do that
Lacerating Lazarus of God Squad
Elerosse
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lookin' Pretty

Armor

Postby Emerson Bridges » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:44 pm

I can make some pretty crappy lookin armor that meets our current requirements... why are you so worried about looks anyways?
Emerson Bridges
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Rurouni Valyn » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:18 pm

I liked the idea of making weight requirements and such. If it looks period and weighs the same as period, why not allow it?

Though none of this matters to me as I hate wearing armor anyways =)
Rurouni Valyn
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Enoch » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:55 pm

it aint broke, don't fix it.
M.F. Enoch & Co.
Enoch
Brute
Brute

Postby Emerson Bridges » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:38 am

That is false logic. If we followed that blindly like you are we would never invent better things. Just what did the job "ok".
Emerson Bridges
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Enoch » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:36 pm

Right, because the point of medieval combat and re-enactment is to invent better things. I stand by my curmudgeon-ness.
M.F. Enoch & Co.
Enoch
Brute
Brute

Postby Mercer » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:19 pm

There's a difference between "improving" something and "debasing" it.

"Wow! If I mix this dross in with this gold, it makes more gold! Sure, it's not as pure, but it's just as good!" Duhr...
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Aidoann » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:25 am

Umm. Before you ALL go knocking plastic armor, check out this site www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/0.Katchu.html
It's Called Katchu Seisakuben and is My Nihon Do Bible.
If you look at the kozane, I think that it would be fairly easy to make these out of plastic IF you can't find the Rawhide needed to make them the traditional way as using 16 or less gague steel would make the Do weigh a fraggin' TON. It would, of course be covered with a thin Leather and then Lacquered properly.

Yes, I know this is an excellent site, and I am really going out on a limb by giving it out to you all, because I know that soon some tacky Newbie is going to be running around in crappy suneate and whole Hauberks made out of oversized asa-no-ha gusari influenced by this site.

I think If I see some one wearing Nihon armor piecemeal or being lazy about it's construction I will go into an apoplectic fit of rage, so don't, okay.
Keoma fished with a metal rod during electrical storms because Grandma taught her that strong spiritual conduct was essential to Paiute living
-Book of The Ancestors, Turtle Island
Aidoann
Underling
Underling

Postby Quake » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:44 am

I agree with V-Hil on this one.. it's pointless to wear armor and not pay some kind of a price for it on the field. I mean specially some of us "kids" out here who have to make the stuff ourselves or buy it.. we don't mave the money or materials to be getting lighter stronger armor. It's bad enough that the weapons are becoming lighter and faster.
General of the Dogs of War
Khazad

" I may be lost and unliked, but I will NEVER be forgotten."
Quake
Underling
Underling

Postby Kyrax » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:08 am

Aidoann wrote:Umm. Before you ALL go knocking plastic armor, check out this site www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/0.Katchu.html

I never said that all plastic armor looked bad or tacky, but for what we do it isn't appropriate. Build it out of heavy leather or period metals, not plastic or aluminum. That's pretty simple. I've seen ugly armor made out of period materials, so looks isn't the point as much as functionality and some kind of realism. It isn't a perfect system, but it works.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

RE: Armour

Postby Calarn the Black » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:24 am

Oh for God's sake, no plastic!! You can make anything look cool; it just depends on the person wearing it. Here's another point I don't think has been brought up yet...what if this plastic armour shattered fro some impact, and showered a few people with shards? Three blind people and a couple of hospital trips later, we remember that we never wanted this in the first place.
Stay period. Please. The first time I see plastic armour on our fields I leave the fields. >:(
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board
Pronouns: He/Him

Armour

Postby Satanaka » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:22 am

:armor1:

I have chain and leather- I like switching them out and switching every now and then. I don't have plate yet.

To me- what makes it is the weight and how it is combersome. If we had sets of stuff that was like 2 pounds- that would be unfair and would not be "cumbersome".

It seems that the skill with leather has really increased and I see a lot of armour that looks great- Gallin produces some really good armour.

S
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Tibriel » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:40 am

A little off topic but not too much What guage and inner diameter of steel is generally accepted as far as making chain mail links go?
Tibriel
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Double broad sword

Postby Xipher » Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:37 am

Do a search for "wire gauge" or "chain gauge" and that info should come up.
Xipher
Grow the game.
Xipher
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1999
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Freeborn

Postby Camber » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:59 pm

From the Book of War, Appendix A:
3.6. Metal Armor must be made of period metals and alloys such as iron, steel, bronze, brass, or copper. Modern steel alloys are also allowed.

A few people have said in this thread that stainless steel is not allowed. The BoW disagrees with you.

I support the period materials requirement. However, it should be noted that non-period materials are sometimes needed to make armor safe. I'll give a case in point. I bought a set of stainless plate spaulders and bracers and used them in combat for 8 months. [Source was the eBay store Wyndsyngyr's War Gear, found at http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=31025215 . I recommend them highly.] I had no problems getting them passed by heralds at Spring War.

Then at a summer event someone's sword got damaged by one of the rivets, and they were given extra heavy scrutiny by the heralds. Even though the edges are penny-round and smooth, it was strongly recommended to me that I pad all edges with some thin rubber tubing, just for extra safety. I got 25' of car window molding at an auto parts store and went to town. The result is stunning, and you can't tell its rubber unless you look closely. But it IS a non-period material, and it is visible.
Camber Calimmacil MacArdrigh
ArHain

I ſercenen Minyondoryo
i Aintar ortieva hinirya
huinello Cuilen oialle
Camber
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 05 Sep 2001
Realm: Copper Roost
Unit: ArHain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Beorn Tordensjold » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:02 pm

That's a LEETLE bit different of a sitation, Camber, but I understand where you are coming from.

Aidoann:

Plastic armor can look cool. No one has argued that. The point that has been made is that untill there is an armor REQUIREMENT, we should stick to the "period materials" that we have at present.

Killian:

I just realized I sounded like I was hating on ugly armor. I should have restated that to CRAPPY (i.e poorly made) armor. Look at Ralimar's armor, it's ugly as sin! But it's put together RIGHT. Shrat's "ghetto Breastplate" is the same way, it's ugly as all get out, but it's LEGAL. And they are both GREAT!

So no hating on ugly armor here.
Viking bastards: We're not laughing with you.

Proud owner of one Tor point. So far.

Beorn, Ravensmoon Replicas
http://ravensmoon.com
Beorn Tordensjold
Berserker
Berserker

Splintering

Postby Emerson Bridges » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:15 pm

Plastic armor doesn't shatter when struck with bare rattan in the SCA. It isn't going to shatter with foam based weapons.

Someone above pointed out that we do allow modern materials for saftey reasons. So I'm fine, I didn't realize till recently you could do things like that.

If you want cheap make chain mail.
Emerson Bridges
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Camber » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:51 pm

Right, cheap if your time is worth nothing to you. I spent 13 months making a chainmaille shirt of 20,000 links, and I even bought them premade (stainless steel split rings from http://www.worthco.com ). The only reason why I MADE my shirt was because I wanted a shirt design that isn't available commercially. But if I had just wanted a vanilla galvanized steel shirt of butted mail, I wouldn't have hesitated to put down $80-120. If you have excess time and not enough money, sure, knock yourself out.
Camber Calimmacil MacArdrigh
ArHain

I ſercenen Minyondoryo
i Aintar ortieva hinirya
huinello Cuilen oialle
Camber
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 05 Sep 2001
Realm: Copper Roost
Unit: ArHain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board