Linothorax

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Linothorax

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:54 pm

After having tried searching for "linothorax" or "cloth armor" I retrieved only results for the pocket brigantine (cloth with leather pieces sewn into it).

Therefore, (and I do apologize if my search was not thorough enough) since the linothorax was historical and effective, why is it not allowed as valid Belegarth armor? It seems odd to me that unhardened leather may be used if it is 3/16" thick and would realistically provide no protection whatsoever, but the hardened/layered cloth may not.

Yes, I realize we play a sport that is not real combat, but the option seems, to me, a valid one to have.

I respectfully await your answers.

***EDIT*** in response to answers:

Thank you for your timely responses. Those reasons given are entirely understandable, and they do have merit. Your suggestion of trying it out in my own realm seems to be the best solution, and that is probably what I will end up doing. And for clarification to the second replier, the linothorax is glued layers of cloth, so it ends up being just as rigid and encumbering (through immobility/inflexibility and body heating due to it becoming a non-breathing material rather than by weight) as hardened leather armor. Wikipedia has an informative article on it, but I digress. Again, I appreciate your insight, Happy New Year!
Last edited by Tiberius Claudius on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Re: Linothorax

Postby Slagar » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Several reasons, none of which really 100% justify the illegality, but enough so that the rules probably won't ever be changed.

Reason #1: All armor must be readily visible. If you're wearing only cloth, I'll just crank you once and walk away. Linothorax doesn't really look like armor, as we concieve it, and so it kinda violates this rule. Potential for playability issues.

Reason #2: Maybe you're a really awesome craftsman-cum-history buff. Most of us aren't, and sure as hell most noobs aren't. If we legalize this stuff, we get flooded with really crappy, maybe-legal cloth armor, just for the game advantage. We already have washer brig and leather glued to t-shirts (swear to god I've seen it with my own eyes). Anymore min-maxing loopholes and we might as well give anyone in garb the extra hit.

Reason #3: Kinda ties into the last one, but weapons checkers won't really know **** about this stuff. It'd be easy to walk out in some heavy-starch two-layer trigger and claim it's armor, and most checkers won't question anybody who isn't a rank noob. It's just too hard to enforce at the moment.

Overall, not the greatest reasons, but simplicity is a necessity, and legalizing cloth armor would be a nightmare from an event perspective. If you want to change this, do what we tell everybody with a decent idea to do. Try it out in your home realm, and see how it goes. Visit other local realms, and have it looked over. If it doesn't make waves anywhere in your state, you might have a case to lay before war council. In any case, there it is. Hope this helps.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Linothorax

Postby Skydd » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Another reason is the factor of encumbrance. Armor is our game is supposed to slow you down, reduce maneuverability or otherwise decrease your physical movement in some way. Leather does this, chain does, plate does. Cloth does not. It is just as flexible as your garb, and the weight is negligible.
Sir Skydd of Dunharrow
King of Dunharrow
Skydd
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2002
Realm: Dunharrow

Return to Rules Questions