Composite armor...

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Composite armor...

Postby The Lost Celt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:25 pm

3.7.1. Studded, scaled, or brigandine Armor can only be counted as Armor if 2/3 of the target area is covered by metal or leather, or the studs/rings/plates are no more than 1/2 inch apart.

I just want to throw this into question, what happens if both the leather and the minimum gauge of metal are below the requirements, is it still armor? (don't get me wrong, some folks think you can set rivets so and so apart and count as armor)

Only reason I ask is I'll be doing a mongolian themed helmet in the near future, and while I could to a kickass fantasy style veil I won't be liking it when the studs get knocked in my face from arrows and whatnot, nor would I consider it appropriate to call armour when such happens, might have to rethink things and put occularia into the mix, or even an actual mask (think Titus people, I'm half tempted to throw a plauge doctor mask in my inventory too for the fun of it as I'm mainly spear and that's just creepy)

In any case although hardly a purist the thought of putting studs in perhaps 6oz leather layered veil, back to back to make it passable kinda wants to make me take a long shower, but then again I always designed my stuff to be functional with a historical bend, instead of the pure fantasy side of the spectrum, not saying their stuff isn't cool but if it doesn't have at least some practical functionality as far as protection why bother?
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Re: Composite armor...

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:00 pm

After looking at the rules, from a very strict standpoint I'd say it's fine, but that's silly. You'd never get that passed, rules be damned.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra