Poll ended at Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:03 pm

Me!
42%
I love 'em!
58%

Total votes : 12

New, questions regarding weapons and rules

Postby Fabio Boneducci » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:03 pm

New out here, and your site just erased my long post, the stingy * that it is. Anywho, to start with, can a two hand sword, or even one hand for that matter, be used as both slash and thrust, or are they only one or the other? I believe that Glaives can be used as either if properly padded, correct? Speaking of polearms, a pike with a backspike. Is this legal if padded sufficiently? Not even for damage, mind you. In the old days they were used to pull down the opponent's shield, leaving the openning for that devastating two hand thrust. Would this be legal? Looked down upon?

Though wearing a shield in front of your torso has already been discussed, I must bring out that the grecian phalanx employed this method for at least a little while. Though perhaps unusual or 'cheap', is it legal without people being too * of that you did it?

And lastly, my location. I am between LA and San Diego (that's in southern california for all y'all country folk ;) ). Is there a group anywhere near there? Well, I suppose that's about all... thanks? Bye.
Fabio Boneducci
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tor » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:19 am

Welcome!

If it's designed correctly, yes, a sword can be a thrusting and slashing weapon. Many people don't do it, merely because a stabbing/slashing weapon tends to break down a lot more quickly...

As far as back spikes go, I have one on one of my glaives. Watch for the entangling rule: if it can catch a limb it's probably not a good idea, but there's ways to do it effectively. I'll try and get a pic up sometime soon to show you.

Aggelgorod is in southern Cali, and there's lots of good players there. Hope you can hook up with them!

Best, and welcome to Belegarth!
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Postby Fabio Boneducci » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:48 pm

That's fantastic news. Having a polearm That is both red and green depending on how swung, with a sword to back it up that can be red, green, or blue depending on how used. Rockin'. As far as the spike, I don't see it entangling anything. It would be pretty straight and not too long; not much hooking limbs with it. How did you craft your spike to withstand the rigors of war?
Fabio Boneducci
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Rules Questions