Arrows Targeting Feet

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Arrows Targeting Feet

Postby Kneuggie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 am

I was out at practice the other day, with an archer who was calling shots to the feet. The way I understand the rules, Feet aren't valid target area as long as they're on the ground (aka, they're part of the ground when on the ground).

I know that there is a specific exception for Class 4 weapons to target the head, but I'm not aware of any exceptions that apply to feet.

Of course, I took the shot (as I didn't want to sound ignorant, or like a rules lawyer, I've only been fighting for about a month and a half now), but I was wondering if this was correct by both Bel and Dag?

For clarification
3.1.6. Feet . Area below the ankle (exclusive). A Foot is a legal Target Area if it is off the ground. Any Injury to the Foot is considered Injury to the Leg.

and
3.2.3. The Head is an illegal Target Area for Class 1, 2, and 3 Weapons. The Head is a legal Target Area for Class 4 and 5 Weapons.

but nothing about feet.
It's not about how big your stick is, it's how you use it!
Kneuggie
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 27 Jan 2011
Realm: Isle of Sluagh
Unit: Ravenous
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board, Poles

Re: Arrows Targeting Feet

Postby Slagar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:17 am

Couldn't speak to Dag's rules, but in Bel, you are correct. Foot on ground the shot is presumed to have gone through, same as hand weapon. Since there's nothing behind it to go through to, it just doesn't count.

To be fair, you were right to take the shot and not bother arguing. Archers who make crappy calls are not uncommon in the game, usually because they don't know better. Good on you for handling it well.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Arrows Targeting Feet

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 pm

BTW, for the record if he called "leg" then yah it sucks, but you have to take that. If he called "foot" then now that he's designated the target area, if you believe your food was on the ground I'd say that's a shot you don't have to take. He'd probably give you a dirty look as you chased him down and killed him, but after the battle I'd just explain "You called foot, my foot was on the ground, you basically told me I'm fine."
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra