Thin Striking Surface?

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Thin Striking Surface?

Postby Blitz. » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:32 am

We failed a weapon at our last practice recently due to thin striking surface on a single edged weapon. It was about as think as the core, the sideing's on the front and back were a little bulkier.

This is the best picture i can find on the weapon. Its the 2nd Smaller one. I personally dont find a problem with the thiner striking surface.

It didnt fail for any other reason. Pommel was fine, couldnt fell core through the Cap. Sidings were fine also. The blade was had 3 layers, 4 in some places to give it the curved look. The reason it failed was for thin striking.

Also this is an older picture of the weapons. Changes have been made to them, but this is the best picture i can find without them covered.

EDIT: It wasnt put to the hit test due to being failed for the thin striking. We dont bother testing them if we notice one thing to fail them.

EDIT: At Bo. It wasnt checked by the template because the Thin Striking Surface was so thin. Im guessing its about an Inch or so.
Last edited by Blitz. on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koom Di' Puts wrote:And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote: I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Thin Striking Surface?

Postby Kyrian » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:50 am

Blitz(IG) wrote:We failed a weapon at our last practice recently due to thin striking surface on a single edged weapon. It was about as think as the core, the sideing's on the front and back were a little bulkier.

This is the best picture i can find on the weapon. Its the 2nd Smaller one. I personally dont find a problem with the thiner striking surface.

It didnt fail for any other reason. Pommel was fine, couldnt fell core through the Cap. Sidings were fine also. The blade was had 3 layers, 4 in some places to give it the curved look. The reason it failed was for thin striking.

Also this is an older picture of the weapons. Changes have been made to them, but this is the best picture i can find without them covered.

There is no rule on how wide the striking surface has to be as long as the weapon doesn't go through the 2.5" template:

1.3.3. wrote: Two and one-half inch rule—No surface on a striking edge (sword tip, arrow head, spear head, javelin head, etc.) whether designed for stabbing or not, may readily pass more than 0.5 inch through a 2.5 inch hole; swords with a semicircular tip, with a minimum 1.5 inch radius are exempt from this rule.

Did the weapon fail the hit test? If you tested the weapon at light, medium, and hard strikes and there is excessive pain, typically defined as residual pain lasting past a few seconds, or foam that doesn't compress readily, then, by all means, fail it. But having a very thin edge profile does not necessarily render a weapon illegal.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Thin Striking Surface?

Postby bo1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 am

thin how? like only 1" wide or did the tip fail template?

thin like 1" wide, not a rule in our game.
template, easy to test again.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Return to Rules Questions