Modified Crossbow

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Modified Crossbow

Postby Dyn » Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 pm

A friend of mine approached with me an interesting quandary: could you make a crossbow that still has the bow part to it, but doesn't use it to fire the projectile. Projectile is fired by a spring. Still looks period, but doesn't actually works that way. Still remains under 15lb test. Thanks, and I will modify this post with further thoughts.
Aonaibh Ri Chéile!
Dyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 14 Feb 2010
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever's handy

Re: Modified Crossbow

Postby Kage » Tue May 17, 2011 1:05 am

With out being able to see it this one's tough to answer. Based upon description though here are some thoughts and questions. Is the spring enclosed? I won't want to see the thing go bouncing across the field or pinching someone's fingers or garb. I've seen one spring based design but the spring was small and was part of the trigger mechanism. Quite an ingenious build. How are weapons checkers going to test to see if the spring is indeed 15 lbs? As much as I would love to just take someone's word for it i don't and I'm not exactly sure how I would measure the poundage put out by a spring. I'm also going to assume the bow is just put on to make it look more like a cross bow at this point.

So all in all this is what I'm going to tell you advice wise. Get it built and get some pictures then post them up so some feedback can be given. Take it to practice and see if the people there find it safe, playable, and realistic. If it passes there then try your luck with it at a national event. Best thing I can think of to tell you at this point.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Re: Modified Crossbow

Postby Peregrine » Wed May 18, 2011 7:13 am

I can not see this passing.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine