double ended weapon question

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

double ended weapon question

Postby Yopparai » Mon May 23, 2011 12:20 am

My purpose for making a double ended weapon is entirely for the ability to pommel someone after a block with what would otherwise just be a blue sword. What I don't understand is why I would have to put a striking surface of 18" on the pommel side if my handle surface is only 2" bigger than my hand. I understand that there needs to be sufficient striking surface in case of accidents but wouldn't 12" be enough if that is the minimum for blue swords anyway?.
Yopparai
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Nov 2010
Realm: MMCC
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed red

Re: double ended weapon question

Postby Kage » Mon May 23, 2011 2:19 am

Pommel spikes are not allow for safety reasons for the most part. Most people are afraid there will be more incidents of people being accidently punched in the face. You could make a double ended weapon as small as you like as long as it still meets the requirements to be double ended.
1.4.6. Double-ended Weapons must conform to all of the following:
1.4.6.1. Double-ended Weapons must not be more than 7 feet long.
1.4.6.2. Double-ended Weapons must have a minimum of 18 inches in length of padding covering each end in a cylindrical fashion. Both striking surfaces of this weapon must follow Class 3 Weapon standards for a Double-ended Weapon to be legal.
1.4.6.3. Regardless of length, a Double-ended Weapon is a Class 1 Weapon when swung and Class 3 when thrust.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Re: double ended weapon question

Postby Peregrine » Mon May 23, 2011 8:20 am

The rule exist, so you can not build a blue sword with a pommel spike, just to clarify, the smallest it could be is 18"+ 18"= 36" + handle?
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine