Fabric Paint on Striking Surface

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Fabric Paint on Striking Surface

Postby Savage » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:36 am

This came up recently in the group I fight with out here.

One of our players is a really good artist, and she started painting this sweet Chinese dragon on the sword cover I made for her new stabby short sword.

She was about a third of the way done when I realized that her design wrapped from one flat side around to the other flat side, covering a small portion of the striking surface.

Thinking about the minimum tape rule made me think this might not fly, and I told her so, and she was bummed. However, re-reading the BoW I found these three relevant entries:

Book of War wrote:1.3.1. All striking surfaces of Weapons must be padded adequately to prevent personal injury when striking an opponent with full force on that surface.
1.3.6. All striking surfaces must have a cloth covering.
1.3.7. The amount of tape on a striking surface should be kept to a minimum.

None of that mentions fabric paint, so now my thinking is that the fabric paint should fly so long as it doesn't interfere with 1.3.1, which would cause it to fail at weapons check on the hit test.

Is my thinking correct?
Also, does anyone have personal experience with fabric paint on striking surfaces and hit tests?

Edit:
Cyric wrote:as long as the paint doesn't crack and have rough edges

I was thinking about that, and it seems to me that painting the striking surface would probably shorten the lifespan of the cover significantly. However, it's good to know people can do it if they want (so long as it passes hit test). Thanks for the reply.
Last edited by Savage on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Western Uruk-Hai
Red Eye Tribe
White Skull
Raen Dun'Aear Warhost
Savage
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2005
Realm: Raen Dun Aear
Unit: Western Uruk Hai

Re: Fabric Paint on Striking Surface

Postby Cyric » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:21 am

as long as the paint doesn't crack and have rough edges, and doesn't cause too much slap during the hit test it should be fine.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Return to Rules Questions