Bow Poundage

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Bow Poundage

Postby Grey Ogre » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Is there an easy way to see what the poundage is on an older bow?

Ive had a wood bow sitting around for a while, and it was a gift from a friend a couple years ago- he said it was atleast 20 years old when he got it from a family member... its perfectly safe- the woods not splitting, it doesnt creak more than it aught to, etc- and the poundage is light... but Im not sure exactly how light it is.

Help?

Edit: Hey jimmy, actually that gives me a wonderful idea- I have just such a device at my mothers.

Its a metal box with a heavy resistance spring in it- we use it to suspend hay bales and weigh them up to 150 lbs. I dont know why I didnt think of just putting the string on their and giving it a pull. TY!
Last edited by Grey Ogre on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like people, that doesnt mean I cant tell that some have multi-classed to much into idiot, and now are an ineffective build.
Grey Ogre
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2005
Realm: Stygia
Unit: DGMA
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red, Sword+Board.

Re: Bow Poundage

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Not really, you need some sort of pull scale. Sometimes the poundage is marked on the bow. You can use a fishing scale (that goes up to 35 lbs :/ ) etc, but you need something that weighs by hanging, then loop it around the string and pull it back aprox 28 inches, what the scale reads is your poundage. Also, not really a rules question... but I don't know what forum you'd put it in. Join the archery forum?

Any more questions, edit your original post.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Re: Bow Poundage

Postby Derian » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:48 am

Regarding your edit: that should do (potentially) perfectly. As long as it weighs in 1-2 lb. increments. Keep in mind that you'll want to measure the pull only to 28". Obviously the longer you pull the higher your poundage will be. As long as the bow pulls at 35 lbs. or less at 28" of draw, it should be legal.

Hopefully it won't be an issue, but keep in mind that string tension due to winding as well as the temperature influenced flexibility of the arms can impact the draw weight by 3-4 lbs or more.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Rules Questions