Question About a Bow..

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question About a Bow..

Postby Pig » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:01 am

ALRIGHT. So. I'm going to buy a bow off of ebay. Sweet, right?

I'm looking at this thing and it's a longbow. 58" hickory 35# * 26". Now I look at it and say, sweet! 35 pounds straight out of the box. Awesome. But then I see the 26 inches and now I'm not so sure.

I think it's okay, but I've never tested/worked with bows before. I've read the BOW and it says, The maximum poundage for a bow is 35 pounds at 28 inch draw.

Now I might be overthinking this or being a complete retard, but is this thing good to buy? I'm going to assume the measly 2 inches from 28" makes the thing even more safe, and thus, even more awesome.

Alright, sorry. I know there's already two questions about bows here, but there is no archery forum!

Thanks a ton,

-Pig

EDIT: Relevant question..

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Archery-Fire ... 859&sr=8-2

This thing. It's cheap, has slightly good reviews. I want to buy it.

Problem is, I don't even know -what- it is. The customer reviews say it's a,"Recurve Longbow." ..IS that allowed? At all?

EDIT EXTRA:

So I bought it. The poundage is, well. In the legal range. Good.

40 dollars isn't to bad if the thing happens to turn into a pile of crap the moment I fire it. So, how about this then,

What kind of bow would -you- recommend?
Last edited by Pig on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pig
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Jul 2011
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Shield & Flail
Two-Handers
Archery

Re: Question About a Bow..

Postby Kyrian » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:36 am

Pig wrote:ALRIGHT. So. I'm going to buy a bow off of ebay. Sweet, right?

I'm looking at this thing and it's a longbow. 58" hickory 35# * 26". Now I look at it and say, sweet! 35 pounds straight out of the box. Awesome. But then I see the 26 inches and now I'm not so sure.

I think it's okay, but I've never tested/worked with bows before. I've read the BOW and it says, The maximum poundage for a bow is 35 pounds at 28 inch draw.

Now I might be overthinking this or being a complete retard, but is this thing good to buy? I'm going to assume the measly 2 inches from 28" makes the thing even more safe, and thus, even more awesome.

Alright, sorry. I know there's already two questions about bows here, but there is no archery forum!

Thanks a ton,

-Pig

Actually, Pig, those 2" can make a world of difference. The poundage of your bow will be measured at a 28" draw. If your bow already achieves 35# at 26", then it will most likely pull more than that once you start going past the 26" mark. Your safest bet is to look for a bow that specifically states 35# at a 28" draw...and there is an archery forum. Go to "User Control Panel" and then select "Usergroups"-->"Edit memberships". From there you should find "Misc: Archery". If you have any more questions, edit your original post.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby bo1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 pm

another option if you already have the bow, is to get a slightly longer string. you may need to experiment with the length, but my guess is if it is 35 at 26, one inch longer should get you down under 35 at 28, and not over stress the limbs.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Pig wrote:EDIT: Relevant question..

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Archery-Fire ... 859&sr=8-2

This thing. It's cheap, has slightly good reviews. I want to buy it.

Problem is, I don't even know -what- it is. The customer reviews say it's a,"Recurve Longbow." ..IS that allowed? At all?

A bear bow without the poundage listed is an awful crap shoot. Most bear bows are about $25 and shoot an arrow about 20 ft. Archery isn't something that's gonna be cheap, don't start off cheap. Garbage in, garbage out.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Brutus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:19 am

One of the guys in our realm just bought that bow. It was a bit heavy on the draw weight at first, so I had him leave it strung overnight. That did the trick.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby bo1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:30 am

good trick, also leave it in the sun.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Return to Rules Questions