Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Postby Marrow » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:57 am

1.3.1. All striking surfaces of Weapons must be padded adequately to prevent personal injury when striking an opponent with full force on that surface.

there is a member of my realm who thinks he's an invincible he-man and we have gotten into an argument about what amount of pain should constitute a failed weapon, and how long it can last. are there any good rules of thumb that can put this to rest? If I cant explain it in a way that he understands I am worried someone may be really injured.

Edit: He isnt testing his own weapons, but he is SUPPOSED to be qualified to check weapons and we have been noticing some unsafe **** getting passed by him. when we indicate a weapon he passes should fail the hit test he calls everyone else a *. rather than just strip him of herald/weapon checking duties I wanted to try and find a better hit calibration for what passes and fails, hopefully from someone who has been around a while (like anyone on this board)

If he keeps it up we might just strip him of duties, but I didnt want that to be our first choice of action.
Last edited by Marrow on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marrow
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2011
Realm: Hellholt
Favorite Fighting Styles: Dirty lefty S&B

Re: 1.3.1

Postby Cyric » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

weapons should be hit tested on an impartial 3rd party at practice. The person getting hit should ideally have experience with weapon checking and know what is safe or unsafe. barring that, someone who is "average" should be hit light, medium, and hard by someone else. the person who's weapon it is should not have any bearing on the testing of the weapon.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Re: 1.3.1

Postby bo1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:05 pm

general hit testing ideas:

template first, wieght and general measure type stuff.

always check to make sure the core is attached to the foam, otherwise yoiu stand a chance of getting the core to burst through the side of the faom. i also give it a light squeezy test to make sure it doesnt have sweet/soft/rip spots.

at the moment of impact it can hurt but not so much you jump or have to yell.

with blues after about 5 seconds no lasting pain should be felt, with reds i go 10 seconds. it is never going to feel great to get hit full force with a red, but if it is ok after 10 seconds you wont remember it with battle energy flowing.

always use a fresh back, testing fatigue is a real problem after a ton of weapons go through check.

you can always get a second opinion on questionalbe weapons.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Return to Rules Questions