Striking Surface or Weapon Length

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Striking Surface or Weapon Length

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:49 pm

This came up in a previous rules question recently and I did not understand the answers given there.

1.4.1.5. The minimum overall length of a Class 1 is 12 inches plus the length of the handle and pommel.

I have always interpreted this to mean the striking surface of a class 1 weapon must be 12" in length. Accordingly, I had my 12" total length Class I weapon fail at past events for that reason (not 12 + handle and pommel). Was that judgement correct?
My question is: how is this rule interpreted?
Example: Can you have a 2" long striking surface on a Class 1 weapon assuming a successful hit test?

Edit: I think someone else is asking the same question, and I didn't see it, but I'm leaving this here for clarity.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Re: Striking Surface or Weapon Length

Postby Derian » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:I have always interpreted this to mean the striking surface of a class 1 weapon must be 12" in length.

It's a common misconception, but still incorrect. The rule specifies that the overall length must be (handle + pommel) + 12 inches. Handles are anything that is unpadded, so you need the pommel plus 12 inches of padding. That 12 inches can be made up of any amount of striking surface and haft padding.

Technically by these rules a weapon with 1" striking surface and 11" of haft padding would be legal, though I don't imagine such a weapon would pass a hit test.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Rules Questions