how hard is too hard

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

how hard is too hard

Postby Purgatory » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 am

so i have been having a issue in the group lately and i could use some bel vets advice. how hard is too hard for a weapon. i dont twork it and i use min tape. i use open cell foam on the striking edges and on shields i make it with a layer of blue camp and open cell foam. pool noodles on the edges.

there are one or two ppl complaining.. but they come from dag so i dont know because we havent fought against a bel group and though dag is really close... they make there weapons different.

and advice would be helpful.
Poppy the daughter of Lord Greed, Admin to Purgatory in Grimmwood.
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Sep 2008
Realm: Grimmwood
Unit: Purgatory
Favorite Fighting Styles: we have it all-even rocks

Re: how hard is too hard

Postby Derian » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:51 am

It's hard to explain without being able to show you physical examples. Generally, you shouldn't need to use open cell foam on melee weapons unless they're huge or some silly weapon.

A safe, hard strike from a weapon will generally feel very solid. You shouldn't be able to feel the weapon's core during a strike. Depending on the weapon, it might hurt, but you shouldn't have pain that lasts for more than a few seconds in most cases.

As for the shields, pool noodle is a bad idea for the edges because it'll break down very quickly. Generally you want four layers of blue foam on the edges and three layers on the face.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Rules Questions