Half-swording illegal?

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Half-swording illegal?

Postby Grey Ogre » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Theres a technique with large two-handed swords called half-swording, in wich one grabs the blade halfway up the length of the weapon. It changes how the sword moves, can be used to speed up attacks or to reinforce blocks....

But some of the people in my realm are claiming that this is just anviling, and that Im killing myself by doing it. I can see the argument, but I dont agree. Is this another case of needing the realism beating out of me?
I like people, that doesnt mean I cant tell that some have multi-classed to much into idiot, and now are an ineffective build.
Grey Ogre
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2005
Realm: Stygia
Unit: DGMA
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red, Sword+Board.

Re: Half-swording illegal?

Postby Kage » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm just going to quote myself.

Kage wrote:
3.1.5. Hand(s) - Area below the wrist (exclusive). An empty Hand is a legal Target Area. Any Injury to the Hand is considered Injury to the Arm. A Hand on a Weapon or Shield is considered part of that Weapon or Shield.

3.7.3. Blocking a Weapon strike by laying a Weapon against a Target Area and/or Shield is illegal

3.7.5. Gripping the striking surface of an opponents Weapon results in the disabling of that limb.

Honestly this one has been debated before. These 3 rules are the main ones used for hand on weapon type questions. A hand on a weapon is just that a hand on weapon. Hands holding a weapon are no longer viable targets so they are no longer valid target areas. I bolded opponents for a reason. You can grab your swords striking surface all you want, but not your opponents swords striking surface.

So long story short. Yes, I am of the opinion, that you can block the way you asked without anviling.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Re: Half-swording illegal?

Postby Slagar » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:47 pm

There's been debates on this regularly, and there's never been consensus. Search half-swording (or the usual misspelled variants thereof) for some reading material.

My 2 cents has always been that this is totally legal, and also fairly useless in our game anyway. If it broke the game maybe it'd be different, but as it is people are just finding something to complain about.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Return to Rules Questions