Has this become more violent?

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Has this become more violent?

Postby circum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:26 am

[youtube][/youtube]I haven't fought in about 7 years. When I did I was really involved. Fought with some of the more violent and aggressive fighters, Soth, Argoth, Tybalt, galin etc etc. I went to bloomington for a wolf pack opener at the time as well. Since I'm getting back into it I youtubed some wolfpack videos and from those videos it seems like it has become much more violent. I realize that shield bashes and kicks are legal but there is a difference between shield kicking or bashing to move a shield to throw a shot and shield basing or kicking out of frustration or lack of anything else to do. It won't change whether or not I fight, I was just wondering if I need to be on the look out for somebody trying to tackle me from behind when I'm not looking like I've seen in some of these wolf pack openers. I fought for about 3 years solid and dont recall ever receiving a shield bash or kick or being tackled to the point where I would take offense. Some of what I've seen in these videos would * me off though.

Just wondering if the fighting culture has shifted from being respectful and mindful of safety to doing whatever you can to hit somebody regardless of whether they get hurt or not.

When I say hurt I don't mean breaking a bone. I would never goes as far to bear hug somebody who wasn't looking, drive them into the ground while somebody else pummels them with a two handed red sword like I saw in one of the videos. While it may be legal and they don't require a doctor visit it seems extremely excessive and unnecessary and furthermore, where is the skill in that? like to people take pride in tackling people opposed to meeting them shield to shield?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZ4Rg3N ... er&list=UL

Like, Do I need to learn to just deal with getting punched in the face like in this video?

Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkjtAUWo ... playnext=3

Please tell me this isn't accepted on the field? These guys are seriously just straight kicking and punching each other as well as swinging their swords with the intent of breaking ribs.

ok, i just read in the videos that they dont use these moves on national fields. However I saw things similar to this in the montages and field battles at the openers. Are videos like this good for the sport? I realize its personal preference and they can do what they wish but if you fight in belegarth you represent it. I dunno, super long post. Its just concerning to me from what ive seen. maybe ill go the 26th and it wont be like this at all.

I will say that these two make it clear they don't do this on the field. I didn't see any videos of them on the field doing any of this, however, if you watch some of the wolfpack videos there are things just as violent. I just know it wasnt like this the last time I fought and I don't see how a more violent sport is good for getting more people to participate. Its violent enough already. again, maybe these videos are just compiled clips glorifying the rare cases of stupidity and rhino hiding Ive been watching.
Last edited by circum on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
circum
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: numenor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/flail and board.

Re: Has this become more violent?

Postby Kyrian » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:00 am

Dac and Ixous fight each other a lot so they're comfortable with taking their fights to the next level. Also, if you look at the description of the second video, it specifically states that it's a special unit trial and has things that are outside of the normal Dagorhir. To quote:

Special rules and procedure occour outside of normal Dagorhir limits in these trials.

So, to answer your question, probably not. Yes, there are people that do take the physical aspects of the game to that level but, more often than not, they will do it with people they know are comfortable with that.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Has this become more violent?

Postby bo1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:45 am

first of all, the order is a unit, they may do their trials as they wish. rules and such are not in place for several units trials, hh, order, hydra and probibly others. so to evalutate the game based on these trials would be a mistake.

as far as game level of physicality, i would say if you fought those guys back in "their day", you would find the national level well below that. now the highlights are sometimes above that level, but an 8 hour day of foghting has many moments, some above, some below the violence level.
i honestly beleive hit strength and violence is down in bel. with the influence and popularity of amt gaurd style, many are switching to a speed game instead of power.

it would be good to have you again at wpo, hope you enjoy your return.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Return to Rules Questions