Archery: Garb Shots

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Archery: Garb Shots

Postby Akroth » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:15 pm

I wear a pair of baggy Hakama. At our local practices, sometimes shots that get slowed or snagged in my Hakama are being called as a leg shots (Even when contact to my legs didn't occur).

I realize that archers are supposed to call their own shots, but I seem to have a lot of hits called on me when they're striking garb - It's making me not want to wear Hakama. I haven't really had this issue at larger events (Okfest, Geddon), which makes me think it may just by the way our local archers call their shots.

Should the archers be calling shots that get snagged/slowed/partially deflected by garb (Hakama, Capes, Cloaks?) as valid hits, or should the judgement call in these instances be left up to the discretion of the fighter who was being shot at?

Any recommendations on how our archers should be making these calls?
Last edited by Akroth on Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranting about the BoW so you don't have to.
More rants here: http://board.belegarth.com/viewforum.php?f=66
Akroth
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Apr 2009
Realm: Thunder Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Re: Archery: Garb Shots

Postby Derian » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 pm

This is kind of a sticky situation. By the BoW, you need to take these calls as valid, even if they aren't. Your best bet is to talk to the archers (or the local herald) and explain the situation.

If you walk up to an archer that called a leg that was garb after a battle and say "hey, this actually went between my legs and just got tangled in my pants; can you keep that in mind next time?", most people will be totally cool with that. If not, and your archers are continously making bad calls, then it's time for a herald to step in.

Basic rule of thumb: take the shot when it's called and talk to the archer after the battle.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Rules Questions