Flat Slapping

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Flat Slapping

Postby Blitz. » Fri May 04, 2012 12:05 am

I know that if you use your Hand to intentionally block the striking surface of a Weapon, you lose it. But what about when you slap the flat of the blade during a Stab?

I used the Search function and Found these Answers:

Sir Par
Post subject: Re: Blocking With A HandPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:51 am
Belegarth President

Flat/Haft slapping is totatlly legit. However if they strike ANY part of the striking surface they need to take the relevant damage. If the hand gets pinned between body and weapon its still just an arm hit as long as a second swing was not initiated.

Cyric
Post subject: Re: Blocking With A HandPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 am

Unless the person's hand comes in contact with non striking surface, such as haft padding, they should take an arm. i would say that a person trying to slap the flat of a sword should still take an arm for both playability and realism reasons.

Bolded certain sections for what stuck out for me.

There are a few more other comments. But Theres a Yes and a Few no.

So long story short. Is it ok to Slap the FLAT of a blade during a Stab? Or even during a Swing. Obviously a Swing would be more difficult. But still.

EDIT:

1.1.2. Non-striking Surface . Any padded surface of the Weapon that is not a striking surface

Non-striking doesn't inflict damage. So i guess i just dont see how slapping the Flat - the non striking surface of the weapon - should cause damage.

1.1.1. Striking Surface - Padded surface of a Weapon designed to make contact with an opponent during combat. Only the Striking Surface of a Weapon may score a hit.
Last edited by Blitz. on Tue May 08, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koom Di' Puts wrote:And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote: I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Flat Slapping

Postby Kage » Sun May 06, 2012 4:57 pm

The rules say it's okay, but a Marshall will probably call you on it. It would probably be best to follow Cyric's advice on this one and take the arm. Personally I would use my hand to block the stab it's self and not lose the arm to the hack from the blade so I got to keep my one hit shield.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Return to Rules Questions