Shield Edging

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Shield Edging

Postby PhotoJoe » Sun May 27, 2012 9:39 am

It was said at a recent practice where some Dag fighters were on the field a difference between Dag and Bel is that Dag players can utilize their shields to edge an opponent. That is not edge an opponent's shield or weapon, but their actual person. For example throwing an edge into a fighter's weapon arm was a legit way block a swing and/or prevent them from being able to deliver a hit with sufficient force until they got their limb clear enough to deliver a proper swing was said to be more than acceptable in Dag but against the rules in Bel.

Was I mistaken in my impression this was actually allowed in Bel? I'm not sure why I thought shield-on-fighter contact was ok, but if it's not I'd really like to know so I will avoid doing it once I get straps on my shield instead of my slippery punch grip that makes edging nearly impossible to pull off without rotating my own shield way out of position.
Hash wrote:ok guys, now that he's gone, we can all REALLY talk **** about him :D
PhotoJoe
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: None now
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swinging sticks & getting hit...lots

Re: Shield Edging

Postby Ignatius » Sun May 27, 2012 9:44 am

3.5.4. Shield Bashing, Checking, and Kicking is allowed.

3.5.4.1. A Shield Bash is defined as using a Shield to strike an opponent from a distance further than two steps away.
3.5.4.2. A Shield Check is defined as using a Shield to strike an opponent starting from a distance less than two steps away.
3.5.4.3. A person may not Bash, Check or Shield Kick an opponent's rear quadrant. Shield pushing or incidental contact in an opponent's rear quadrant is allowed.
3.5.4.4. Shield Kicking of small Shields and/or Bucklers is discouraged.
3.5.4.5. Shield contact to the Head or Neck is discouraged.

Shield edging is not illegal. Shield edges are padded and checked for a reason. Just try not to hit the head and neck.

Aggressive shield work is a great thing to work on and edging is a key tool in a fighters toolbox imo.
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Return to Rules Questions