Javelins continued

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Javelins continued

Postby drdook » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:52 pm

At Okfest, the issue came up repeatedly and so I searched the book of war for applicable rules and here is ALL that I can find:

3.8.4. A missile Weapon is considered to have hit if there is significant deflection of the missile head (>30 degrees). Once the missile head has significantly deflected off a target, the missile is rendered harmless.
3.8.5. As an exception to rule 1.3, an archer who attacks with an arrow may determine and call a combat hit when attacking with such a Weapon.

There is no mention of the thrower calling "point", yet like archery, opponents often are just not sure what hit them unless they get it in the face. We dont really want to encourage javelin throwers to throw hard enough at all times to be sure the opponent knows they were hit clearly, so it seems to me that the convention of the thrower calling point has been a modification which is sensible and adds playability and safety to the game. Why do we not amend the book of war to be this specific?
The point also came up about the convention often quoted from archery regarding the deflection of 30 degrees to qualify a good javelin hit. But the issue then became who would make that determination. I say that the person receiving the hit is in no position to evaluate the whether the deflection was adequate and it should be part of the thrower's call and whether they even say point or call the hit off. The receiver would determine the reality of area hit, although 2 reasonable fighters (if there is time) will quickly discuss and decide. Looking for discussion. DOG
drdook
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Hydra petitioner
Favorite Fighting Styles: board, sword and deadly JAVELIIN!

Re: Javelins continued

Postby Sir Par » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:56 pm

Arrows are generally to be called for clarification purposes. I can tell almost 100% of the time when I've been hit by a javelin. When I can't then as a player I can look to the attacker for clarification. However, calling point when you're attacking with a Javelin is poor form and inconsistent with our rule book. One should announce Four, Yellow, Or Javelin, which ever the attacker is most comfortable with. And the only time an attacker is obligated to call that is when they are attacking from behind. You don't say point when you're stabbing someone with a spear, or blade when using a sword. Its blue or green, etc.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Sir Killian » Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 pm

The purpose of calling point was to clarify wether the shaft hit or the head of the javelin did so... It is always been upto a player take hit accordingly... And is used for clarification and is in no way mandatory for a fighter to follow that call...
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby Sir Killian » Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 pm

And 3.8.5 clearly states arrow... So jav throwers can't call shots... Calling point is like calling flat for the sake of clarification
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Return to Rules Questions