kicking a staff

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

kicking a staff

Postby Bruce Noble » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:09 pm

I was wondering if someone is wielding a staff and they are holding it two handed, can your kick the center of the staff that is padded? ( I know this is a jerk move I was just curious if it was legal)
Bruce Noble
Recruit
Recruit

Re: kicking a staff

Postby Kyrian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Bruce Noble wrote:I was wondering if someone is wielding a staff and they are holding it two handed, can your kick the center of the staff that is padded? ( I know this is a jerk move I was just curious if it was legal)

Jerk move? How about an illegal one?

From a rules perspective, kicking is only allowed on shields:

3.5.4. Shield Bashing, Checking, and Kicking is allowed.

3.5.4.1. A Shield Bash is defined as using a Shield to strike an opponent from a distance further than two steps away.
3.5.4.2. A Shield Check is defined as using a Shield to strike an opponent starting from a distance less than two steps away
3.5.4.3. A person may not Bash or Check an opponent's rear quadrant. Shield pushing or incidental contact in an opponent’s rear quadrant is allowed.
3.5.4.4. Shield Kicking of small Shields and/or Bucklers is discouraged.
3.5.4.5. Shield contact to the Head or Neck is discouraged.

How about an unsafe one? You're kicking at the point where it would most likely snap in two. At the fracture point, you run the likelihood of having exposed core, i.e., fiberglass or sharp-edged PVC. Not just that, if you should miss, you run the possibility of kicking your opponent. If you were to miss the staff, would you have enough control to stop the kick before you hit the person?

Don't do this.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Return to Rules Questions