Archery and hand on weapon

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Archery and hand on weapon

Postby zalos » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 pm

I am going to my first Bel event this weekend (Wolfpack Opener). I have studied the rules but I did not see an explanation for this. At home if a hand is on weapon and someone gets shot in that hand, they take an arm. This is mostly to prevent punch blocking arrows. Is that the case in Bel as well?

Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for the explanation. For some reason I cant reply to say thanks so I am just using the edit. That's a very interesting way to do it. I like that it stops people from punch blocking to just take an arm but it does make it harder to call a shot. In any case, thanks!

This leads to another question, does batting an arrow out of the sky purposely with a punch block count as the same rule as hitting one with a weapon (instant death) if they do it in a manner to avoid a hit while at the same time stopping the arrow (game exploit)?

Example: An archer shoots over me, as the arrow flies over me I jump into the air with my hand on weapon and punch block it down. It hits only my hand, because it is at an upward arch the archer is unable to tell where it would have landed or gone had it kept in flight.

Edit2:
Thats what I was hoping you'd say. Thanks for your answers, I will pass them along to my Realm!
Last edited by zalos on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
zalos
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2006
Realm: Mittelmarch
Unit: The Legion of the Dragoons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear
Flow
Archery

Re: Archery and hand on weapon

Postby Cyric » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:39 am

Hand on weapon is considered weapon. The arrow passes through the weapon and hits whatever is behind it. if you are holding your arm out to your side and the arrow hits your hand, it's nothing. if your hand is in front of your body and gets hit, then it's body.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Re: Archery and hand on weapon

Postby Cyric » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:58 am

In your example, that would be death, since you intentionally swung at an arrow. The point of the rule is for safely, mostly to keep arrows from flying nock-first into someone's eye.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Return to Rules Questions