Question about anviling

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question about anviling

Postby Maghnus mac Faelan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 am

I had a question arise at a recent fighter practice from a member who had come from another realm.
If a fighter is using a sword and shield, and fights a red weapon, can the fighter use their sword in front of their shield to block breaking shots? Specifically, what the question involves is placing the sword a foot or so away from the shield to take the force out of a red hit, so that when it pins the weapon against the shield, it's a light hit, and not sufficient force. If the red shot still carries through with force, it would still count, but if the block pins the sword to the shield such that the shot is light, is it anviling?
I let it fly at practice, as it seemed totally fine to me. I've seen similar things done a lot with blocking limb shots, and the block isn't quite sufficient to keep the hit from landing, but it makes it a light blow.
Am I calling this correctly?
Maghnus mac Faelan
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Longsword and javelins

Re: Question about anviling

Postby Cyric » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:17 pm

That would be fine. It's only anviling when you place the weapon directly on the target area. Make sure you clearly announce this to the person using the red.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Return to Rules Questions