Double ended weapons question

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Double ended weapons question

Postby Maghnus mac Faelan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:33 pm

So there's a member of my realm who wants to make a double ended weapon (for whatever silly reason). So I'm relaying a couple rules clarifications questions.

Do double ended weapons have to pass for both blue and green on both ends? Ie, can both ends only be blue or only be green (providing there is courtesy padding).

Also, when checking double ended weapons, is the flex checked from the grip, or from one padded area and then the other? Meaning where is one supposed to grip while checking?

Thanks
Maghnus mac Faelan
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Longsword and javelins

Re: Double ended weapons question

Postby Derian » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:16 am

Double ended weapons must pass as blue on both ends, without exception. If you choose to make them green as well, then both ends must pass for green. The rule is there to prevent a double ended weapon that is blue on both ends but green on only one. It's a safety thing.

As for flex, you can hold it wherever you want, but the weapon cannot have more than 45 degrees of total flex. In your example, if you hold it in the middle, then you're looking at no more than 45/2 degrees of flex on each side.

Really, most people just hold it from one end to test flex. It's much easier to accurately gauge the flex this way.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Derian » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:04 am

Oops, looks like I was mistaken (thanks, Reverend!). A double ended weapon must pass as green on both ends to be legal. Essentially, both ends of the weapon must pass as both blue and green. You need a minimum of 18" of cylindrical padding on each end.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Reverend » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 am

No worries, Derian.

On the checking... it's typically checked in a way that a reasonable person would use it. This typically, in my experience, defaults to using it more like a glaive for testings purposes.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Rules Questions